NFL moves forward with 18 game season.

Sweet music to my ears!

NFL moving forward with 18-game season

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer

ATLANTA – NFL owners are eager to increase the regular season from 16 to 18 games.

The players aren't so sure.

During a five-hour meeting at a posh hotel in downtown Atlanta, the push to add two more games to the regular season picked up steam Wednesday — at least among those who sign the checks.

The rest of the article at the link above...

I'll enjoy listening to the NFL explain how this has nothing to do with added revenue but everything to do with the fans. <_<

If it ain't broke...

Yeah, but it is broke. Just not in a way that adding regular season games will fix. Because as long as I've been yammering online I've never seen a single post from a fan demanding more regular season games. So obviously the fix fans want is limited to preseason games.

Fans simply don't want to pay full price for preseason tickets that don't feature star players and aren't seriously contested in regards to winning or losing.

I'm not joking, they could drop the preseason altogether very easily and fans wouldn't care. As for coaches, none of them would bark if you allowed them to expand their rosters....say to 60 players.

I'll enjoy listening to the NFL explain how this has nothing to do with added revenue but everything to do with the fans. <_<

If it ain't broke...

Yeah, but it is broke. Just not in a way that adding regular season games will fix. Because as long as I've been yammering online I've never seen a single post from a fan demanding more regular season games. So obviously the fix fans want is limited to preseason games.

Fans simply don't want to pay full price for preseason tickets that don't feature star players and aren't seriously contested in regards to winning or losing.

I'm not joking, they could drop the preseason altogether very easily and fans wouldn't care. As for coaches, none of them would bark if you allowed them to expand their rosters....say to 60 players.

MLB is "broke".

The rookie salary scale is "broke"

The NFL's schedule is an annoyance to some because they are impatient with the preseason. I don't see it as broke at all, or maybe just not as necessary.

As for coaches, none of them would bark if you allowed them to expand their rosters....say to 60 players.

That's where it gets tricky! Do they expand the NFL rosters from 53 to 60? Also, do they increase the "active" players from 46 to say 50 on Game days? 2 more real games present the risk of more injury, so a 53-man roster won't be enough.

I think they would have to allow the expansion of the roster when one of the biggest things the preseason games do is to evaluate the youngsters and who they are going to keep on the active roster vs. send to the practice squad. Speaking of that, maybe they do something that allows the teams to "protect" the players they send to the practice squad as well as expanding it.

Meh.

If they insist on adding to the regular season, I wish they'd have gone with either 17 or 19 games instead of 16. Eliminating .500 teams would make things more interesting, IMO. I don't really think any addition is necessary, though revenue benefits should obviously result.

As for the preseason, good riddance. Needless injuries ruin far too many seasons.

As for coaches, none of them would bark if you allowed them to expand their rosters....say to 60 players.

That's where it gets tricky! Do they expand the NFL rosters from 53 to 60? Also, do they increase the "active" players from 46 to say 50 on Game days? 2 more real games present the risk of more injury, so a 53-man roster won't be enough.

Sure, but that only strengthens the point about the so-called fix having nothing to do with fans. Simply put, fans don't like preseason games. In fact, they resent them....mostly because the purchase of seasons tickets dictates the very best fans have to pay for a full slate of full priced preseason tickets that grants them admission to meaningless games.

For fans the problem is easily fixed by dropping preseason football altogether. Granted, that presents a small problem for coaches, but it's easily fixed by expanding the rosters. Granted, that creates a bigger problem for owners who would face additional player related costs AND the loss of preseason revenue. Thus, the balloon is floated about expanding the season by the same number of dropped preseason games...a compromise that keeps owner revenue intact, appeases fans, and conveniently shifts the burden to players.

Going to 18 games doesn't bother me in the least, but that's just this fan's perspective. The other concerns don't affect me as a fan.

I also don't agree with Carson saying the games will become less meaningful. This isn't the NBA or MLB. It's 18 games.

Anyway around, I won't complain what they do with it. 18, 17, 16, whatever. Just play football...