Reds and Ohio labeled a fraud by Cowherd

jjakq27

ESPN talk show host Colin Cowherd has spent the better part of the week bashing the Reds as one of several frauds in MLB this season. He also went on to mention that Ohio has had its share of frauds over the last decade. Whatever, dochebag.

/>http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show/_/showId/theherd/postId/5476174/what-talking-about

Here's an awesome retort by Lance McAlister on his blog to some of the "accusations".:

My head hurts

I heard Colin Cowherd take shots at the "fraudulent" Reds on ESPN 1530 again today.

I like Colin. I listen to him each day. I've always appreciated how prepared he is and how he can make me think.

What's disappointing is that Tuesday he was simply lazy.

His argument included: The Reds can't beat good teams. They play in a bandbox.

They are not equipped to win in the postseason. They don't have postseason experience.

This is sadly another case of Cincinnati and smaller markets not fitting the

template of ESPN. If you aren't New York, Boston, Philly or LA....you don't matter.

When ESPN ventures beyond their moat they tend to get exposed.

Here is what I don't get from Cowherd's rant.

GABP factor:

It's not like the Reds are only cleaning up at GABP.

They are 32-25 on the road. Only the Padres (34) have more road wins in the NL.

Runs per game: At GABP, 5.04, on the road 4.70.

Road woes?

Road batting averages for the Reds: Votto .338, Janish .321, Nix .312, Rolen .296, Cairo .289, Phillips .279.

Votto has a better BA/OBP/SLG and OPS on the road than at home.

The Reds are 3rd in MLB in road batting average, 5th in road slugging and 4th in

road OPS.

Postseason experience:

Sure, the Reds haven't been in the playoffs since 1995.

But Rolen, Cabrera, Edmonds, Arroyo, Cairo, Rhodes, Hernandez and Baker have post season experience.

That's eight players/manager with a combined 281 postseason games played in or managed in...plus nine World Series appearances.

SOS:

The Reds strength of schedule may be 29th of 30 teams...but what about other teams in playoff contention?

St Louis 27th, White Sox 26th, Rangers 25th, Padres 23rd, and Giants 22nd.

Record vs the better teams

Yes, the Reds are 12-22 vs NL 1st/2nd place teams..

Yet the Cards are 15-17 vs Cubs, Brewers and Astros.

Check out other records for teams in the playoff picture.

Phillies: 2-4 vs Cubs, 2-4 vs Pirates, 5-7 vs Braves, 6-6 vs Mets

Braves: 4-5 vs Nationals, 0-4 vs Cards, 5-6 vs Mets

Padres: 3-3 vs Nationals, 4-8 vs Rockies, 2-4 vs Atlanta, 5-7 vs LA

White Sox: 4-8 vs Cleveland, 1-3 vs Baltimore

Summary:

The Reds are not perfect...far from it. They don't have an "hammer" to throw in

Game 1 of the playoffs. They have struggled vs the better teams.

But they don't have to beat St Louis in their season series to make the playoffs.

And the Reds have just 16 of their final 43 games vs teams with a winning record.

If you are hitting (#1 NL), pitching (T-2nd best ERA in MLB since June 17) and fielding (#1 NL) like the Reds are...and you are 118 games into the season, that doesn't make you a fraud.

That does make Cowherd an unprepared blowhard. He's usually better than that.

Cowherd has always been a fraud as a sports analyst. He simply never has anything to say that reaches into territory beyond ESPN's fondest concepts for regurgitation. He seriously has no idea what he is talking about, whether he's dissing the Reds or praising the Patriots.

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio cuz I drive. And I nrver have liked "the herd" show. And I won't for sure. Hey Colin get BEnt dirtbag.

I really don't mind Cowherd that much. Does he say some things that might not always match up ?? Sure, but he's also willing to say things some of the other "analysts" won't. He doesn't simply spit back news anyone can get by researching the net on their own. That being said, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I don't mind him for the most part.

His opinion on the Reds ?? Just one of those times he was off. Such is life.

Oh yeah, F*CK YOU Cowherd.

Had to be done...