Bill Cowher's Wife Passes away at 54

Bill Cowher's wife, Kaye, passes away at 54

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2010 12:39 AM ET

We're stunned this evening to learn, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, that Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, has died at the age of 54.

Per Bouchette, Kaye Cowher had been battling skin cancer. The duration of the condition isn't known; there had been no prior reports of any health issues, and no rumors that Mrs. Cowher had been ill.

Bill Cowher resigned as coach of the Steelers after the 2006 season, a year after the family purchased a home in North Carolina, Kaye Cowher's home state.

Pursued by the Browns and the Jets after the 2008 season and by the Bills last year, Cowher remains at the top of the "A" list for coaching vacancies.

The Cowhers have three daughters -- Megan, Lauren, and Lindsay. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Cowher family.

Sad news. I couldn't stand the guy when he was the coach of the Steeler's, but my thoughts go out he and his family.

Terrible news for anyone. For him to lose his wife at such a young age and their kids to lose their mother will be hard for them to deal with for many years to come. When people say "It will get better with time" I just want to punch them in the face because it doesn't. Everytime something big happens in their lives, the first thing that will come to their minds will be their mother. That's a good thing, but for every bit of happiness, there will also be an amount of sadness.

Regardless of who he coached, I feel very bad for him and his family. Thoughts and prayers go out for all of them.