Reds vs. Rockies

ArmyBengal

To take a line from the Bud Light commercials:

"HERE WE GO"

Arroyo gets the start tonight against the Rockies and the Reds really need to ensure to come into this series focused, as the Rockies are a good team that many think will be right there come the end of the season as well.

Omg!!!! Volquez you are the man!!! After 6 innings he looks great!!! 9 S.Os 1 run. He gave up one run in the first, maybe nerves but man did he hit his groove. .

How sweet is it seeing Volquez go 6 innings, striking out 9, and giving up only one run while getting the win ??

Yeah, keep the hitting going and we will be right there fighting for the NL Central.

The only downer is the Cardinals are keeping pace with a win vs the Dodgers. Obviously I'm still not happy about the two games we gave away last week.

Still have half a season to go, so they have to have a short term memory with those games they gave away. They weren't the first games they gave away this year (swept by the Pirates early on) and probably won't be the last. It's bound to happen to the best of them, so I won't worry as much. I will say this pretty confidently right now though. If the Reds don't win the Central, and it will be tough with a very good Cardinals team getting hot, they will earn a wildcard spot and go to the playoffs.

5 hits tonight and 4 were homers. Stubbs with another multi-homer game. Very nice to see good play all around.

Still have half a season to go, so they have to have a short term memory with those games they gave away.

I'm not worried about memory problems. I do worry about losing no hitters, but hey...the Reds have emerged strong from the All Star break, and that's all I can ask for.

I worry about the wild card race. There're just so many teams who are plenty capable of taking that spot, including three in the NL West aside from the division winner and another two in the NL east. I think the Reds will need to win the division to make the playoffs, and that means they'd better beat the Cardinals in the regular season games to come.

I think the Reds will need to win the division to make the playoffs

I don't agree fully with this, but I'd prefer they go in with every possible advantage they could have. The pitching staff appears to be getting stronger, and all they can talk about on ESPN's Baseball Tonight is the Reds clutch hitting. That makes for a good night of TV for me!

Naturally by my contrarian nature, I worry some about the "clutch" hitting. As often as that skill is qualified by analysts and players alike, I attribute it more to luck and am scarcely hopeful that it can continue consistently. Still, they've been doing it all year long and the statistical sample remaining continues to shrink while the Reds continue to win.

Based on the win loss record of the teams from the first half of the season that the Reds will face in the second half of the season.

They only play 25 games against teams that posted a .500 record or better in the first half.

Oh. That is good news!

BTW, don't you just love the fact that during the football offseason the Reds are actually giving us something to talk about? :)

Yep I saw that to Army. But anything can happen in this game. We play .500 and beat St Louis heads up we will be in good shape.

Plus you know St Louis will go out and get that big time player like they always do. I was thinking the Reds might to and I thought " what could they need?" I don't see any real weak spots. Bruce isn't hitting but he is a Hell of a right fielder. Catchers don't hit much but handle the staff great. We have good utility players. Bull pen is looking good and Starters are the best 1 thru 5 in the game. What could they need?

There was all the talk about the Reds trying to get Cliff Lee and now the analysts automatically put them in talks about teams going after starters prior to the trade deadline. I don't see it that way. I see it as Lee was someone that makes any rotation better, so sure, take a shot. Other starters aren't going to give us more than what we currently have on our roster and will cost FAR more than this team needs to spend at the position.

Other spots to upgrade ?? Not real sure either. I won't be concerned if there aren't any moves made and don't care what other teams do.

The Reds simply need to continue to play the kind of ball they have to this point and remain focused and motivated.