Reds vs. Phillies

ArmyBengal

And 2 more in the 10th to lose 9-7.

f**k it, I'm willing to forget about this one if the Reds are. Let's not make a trend of it like St. Louis did.

If the bullpen doesn't pull their heads out of their collective asses, the Phillies will sweep. Losing a six run lead in the bottom of the ninth in inexcusable.

It is inexcusable, but not terribly improbable once in a 162 game season. The closing situation leaves much to be desired right now, but truly Cordero should have never taken the mound in the first place tonight. I think this game was more an anomaly than a red alert that the bullpen is collapsing.

Once, Atlanta already did it to us with a 7 run lead. Cordero seems to be losing it, hopefully the team will try to go out and get a closer from one of the sellers this season.

In a long season, you take what you are given.

Funny how not long ago, this team didn't know who it's #3 pitcher was and now we seem to be loaded with Volquez to be back soon.

As much as I hate this current series, the Reds are still in first and will remain that way until after the break.

They won't stay in this slump and the Phillies are no Pirates.

Good times for a team that hasn't had a winning season in d*mn near forever !!!

Agreed, Army. We lose three games all in extra innings on the road? Meh. The six run comeback last night was bad, but the Reds are fine. We were facing Roy Halladay tonight, so laying an egg ought not be something we're surprised by. Besides, the Cardinals have plenty of problems themselves and they're still looking up at us.

Agreed, Army. We lose three games all in extra innings on the road? Meh.

Meh? I don't do Meh. There is a problem here dudes, and I won't ignore it. Last night we gave up a 6 run lead in the 9th and lost. Tonight we took a no hitter through 9 innings and lost. Teams heading to the playoffs don't do this kind of s**t.

Agreed, Army. We lose three games all in extra innings on the road? Meh.

Meh? I don't do Meh. There is a problem here dudes, and I won't ignore it. Last night we gave up a 6 run lead in the 9th and lost. Tonight we took a no hitter through 9 innings and lost. Teams heading to the playoffs don't do this kind of s**t.

I think they do. I'm not going to go explore endless game logs looking for evidence, but there're just too many games in a baseball season for this too worry me all that much. You don't think the best teams in baseball are occasionally guilty of unfortunate screw ups quite like these? Games like this happen every year, to good teams and to bad teams.

Besides, I don't think the Reds are really all that great anyways. They're playing with confidence and I'm happy to see them overachieving as much as they are. The last time they hit a big snag was the sweep in Seattle, and we all saw how they came back from that.

Last night's loss was much worse than this one, IMO, and I already stated what I felt about that one. One fluky loss against a furious comeback (I don't care, not even twice in one season makes a trend for such an off-norm occurrence as that) and another in perhaps the best pitching duel anyone's seen this season.

Well we have lost 3 road games to the reining world champs what a great game by Lee last night. We will be ok. I'm just worrying when St Louis is gonna go make that big deal

Crap. The Reds got shutout two games in a row, and end up getting swept by the Phillies heading into the All Star break. A horrible lost opportunity to put some space between them and the Cardinals when they've been reeling longer than Cincinnati has. Well I'll I can say is I hope the team gets some rest, get their heads together, and come out swinging for the second half of the season!

redoctobery.jpg

This really isn't much different from what we've seen from the Reds most of the season. There are times when it appears they can't buy a run and then others where opposing pitchers can't keep them in the park. They have had more of the latter and is the reason why they are still in first despite them getting swept by the defending champs in their park.

Anyway, while making the 12 1/2 hour drive back to Sioux Falls today I was listening to some sports show that made a great point. The guy was asked what team should we look for having a big second half. His answer was the Reds. Why ?? The biggest reason was the fact that for the entire second half of the season, they only play 25 games against teams that currently have better than a .500 record. He also mentioned the pitching staff and the fact that our inconsistent hitting should still be good enough to earn a wild card spot at a minimum.

I know it's still way early, but you have to admit, despite this last series, the Reds have a legitimate chance at getting to the playoffs this year and maybe even taking the NL Central en route. Regardless of anyones opinion on the matter, I don't think there is anyone among us Reds fans that would be disappointed with that outcome.

Let the team get some rest and hit the second half hard !!!

This team is ready for a break!!!! Me to after this series geeeeeez

It wrecked a great road trip. This series should have been split 2-2 at worst.

Agreed.

Interesting stat to note. The last time the Reds were swept in Philadelphia was 1975.

I think we had a pretty good second half and run in the playoffs that season. :sure: