Bills get Gildon

schweinhart

Clayton ESPN

The Bills won a waiting game to acquire the pass-rushing services of former Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon.

Gildon agreed late Friday night to a one-year deal worth around $1.25 million. There are also around $500,000 worth of incentives in the contract. He also had been talking to the Bengals and Packers.

The 31-year-old Gildon will compete with Jeff Posey for the strongside linebacking job. He may also be used as a pass-rushing defensive end in nickel situations. Gildon has 77 career sacks during his 10-year NFL career, with 60 in the past six seasons.

Gildon considered reuniting with his former linebacker coach Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, but the Bengals stuck to a two-year proposal that didn't work for Gildon. The Packers were also pursuing him to help their pass rush, which recently cut defensive ends Joe Johnson and Jamal Reyolds.

In the end, Gildon was persuaded to sign with the Bills by the general manager who drafted him in Pittsburgh. Tom Donahoe sold Gildon on the idea of coming to the Bills and adding a veteran with playoff experience. Acquiring defensive players with playoff experience has been a theme for Donahoe. Since last year's training camp, Donahoe has added safety Lawyer Milloy, defensive tackle Oliver Gibson and cornerback Troy Vincent.

Last season, the Bills signed defensive tackle Sam Adams.

Gildon was a mainstay in the Steelers' 3-4 defense since being given a starting job in 1996, his third season in the league. His specialty was rushing the passer from the linebacker spot. He had three double-digit sack seasons during his NFL career and went to four Pro Bowls.

The Steelers decided to release him during the offseason to free up cap room and rely on their younger linebackers.

Looks like Ross will stick after all.

It seems like that's about a wrap for offseason pick-ups unless a DT falls from the sky. Or maybe re-signing Mathews or his ilk as 3rd QB if there's a rookie pool shortfall.

Now its training camp and rookie signings with roster cuts around the corner.

No doubt ML will get the best out of every player.

It seems like that's about a wrap for offseason pick-ups unless a DT falls from the sky.

I think that's fairly likely to happen. Obviously, I don't expect any big names to shake loose but as rosters get cut down there are bound to be a few "journeyman" type DTs among the unemployed. Given how thin we are at DT I wouldn't be surprised to see a pickup.

Yeah teams are still cutting players. Hell the Bengals cut 3 in the last week. What about a trade of a draft pick or package another player together with a pick? If the Bengals do well this season, which they obviously are going to be very hard to beat with the new no contact after five yards rule on the WR, I think they will have a late round picks in next years draft. FA by that time will be very conducive towards the Bengals. Why not make a trade and get your DT? How about Tony Williams and first rounder for a great DT? They can make a trade like that why not do it? Webster is very small and will need a big DT for him to be an effective MLB. Thornton and Williams are both small one gap DTs. They need a big guy in there until Askew learns the ropes. If there is a team willing to deal, make that deal happen.

Webster is very small

Well if he is very small, so is the Ravens Ray Lewis. They are virtually the same size, so if that's "small", I'll take that all day!

Most of you guy's seem to consistently forget it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Ray Lewis in an undeniable defensive monster. Why? Well the reason doesn't reside in his physical proportions. It resides in his smarts, anticipation, athletic quickness, and the desire to hit his opponents so hard they see their ancestors! All the qualities Nate Webster possesses, IMHO.

You guy's may laugh at me for this following statement...but I could give a s**t, here it is:

The Bengals will not be recognized for their offensive power in 2004. With the new defensive rules in effect, the primary weapon the Bengals will wield is a vastly improved defense. Smarter, faster, and harder hitting than the previous years addition. That's Marvins "Modus Operandi", the way he goes about business.

During his tenure in Baltimore, the defense rose to the top of the league. During his short stay at Washington, their defense rose among the top teams in the league. Now with looking at his proven track record WHY would I bet against history repeating itself in Cincinnati?

In Marvin I Trust!

Webster is very small

Well if he is very small, so is the Ravens Ray Lewis. They are virtually the same size, so if that's "small", I'll take that all day!

Most of you guy's seem to consistently forget it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Ray Lewis in an undeniable defensive monster. Why? Well the reason doesn't reside in his physical proportions. It resides in his smarts, anticipation, athletic quickness, and the desire to hit his opponents so hard they see their ancestors! All the qualities Nate Webster possesses, IMHO.

You guy's may laugh at me for this following statement...but I could give a s**t, here it is:

The Bengals will not be recognized for their offensive power in 2004. With the new defensive rules in effect, the primary weapon the Bengals will wield is a vastly improved defense. Smarter, faster, and harder hitting than the previous years addition. That's Marvins "Modus Operandi", the way he goes about business.

During his tenure in Baltimore, the defense rose to the top of the league. During his short stay at Washington, their defense rose among the top teams in the league. Now with looking at his proven track record WHY would I bet against history repeating itself in Cincinnati?

In Marvin I Trust!

didn't it take marvin a few years with baltimore before the defense really solidified?

you may be expecting too much too soon. i think their defense will dominate eventually, but they aren't ready for that this year. they will be improved, but their offense will still be their strenth.

didn't it take marvin a few years with baltimore before the defense really solidified?

Well actually no. I believe it was his second year with the Ravens that their defense emerged a a force in the league. The same place he now finds himself in the Bengals organization. Only difference...he's the head coach here.

I think people are expecting to much to fast this team will be solid by 2005.Takes two to three years and marvin has more work than just defense. While we will see improvements,dont expect miracles so quick.Marvin will be a great head coach it just takes time....If the team plays as a whole team and knows there roles unlike last year players were out of position all the time and we still went 500.I think defense will move maybe 5 to 8 spots up from what we were last year..And our offense may slip a few spots until palmer catches on in a real nfl game we still have a great shot to make the playoffs..

Well actually no. I believe it was his second year with the Ravens that their defense emerged a a force in the league. The same place he now finds himself in the Bengals organization. Only difference...he's the head coach here.

Well...yeah...that and the fact he had human mountains like Siragusa and Adams in the middle. That had a lot to do with making Ray-Ray the demigod of linebackers he is today. And Balti still has bulk on the line today; all their tackles are 300+. We got one, count 'em, one, 300-pounder and that's the rook Askew.

Webster is going to have a tough time if our line can't keep blockers off him, and the combo of Williams and Thornton ain't gonna do it. Both are good players but they need a big guy next to them to soak up offensive linemen. And let's not even get started on how that would free up Justin Smith.

Oh, well, no use going on about it now -- other than to say I think that they should just sign the biggest DT who gets cut between now and September and hope for the best. That and get crackin' on Askew; we need him to grow up fast.

Picked up the SN football preview this afternoon (needed something to read at the pool). Looking ahead to draft 2005 they really like this 325-pounder out of Texas, Rodrique Wright. He's No. 3 on their list but the top 2 are lighter pass-rush types. No. 5 is a biggie, too (6'5", 345!!!), a junior out of Oregon name of Haloti Ngata. Just some guys to watch.

Webster is going to have a tough time if our line can't keep blockers off him

So you're saying Webster isn't quick enough to out maneuver these slow footed linemen? I beg to differ! Ray Lewis doesn't get a clean shot at every runner like you are alluding to! He has to shed offensive linemen as much as the next LB! The argument that he has to have huge guys in front of him to play effectively holds no water! :rolleyes:

So you're saying Webster isn't quick enough to out maneuver these slow footed linemen? I beg to differ! Ray Lewis doesn't get a clean shot at every runner like you are alluding to! He has to shed offensive linemen as much as the next LB! The argument that he has to have huge guys in front of him to play effectively holds no water! :rolleyes:

no, there's some logic to it billy.

if the line is ineffective then much more will be placed upon webster and the other linebackers. its not that they CANT make the plays, but that they will be worn down by having to make more plays tand having to work harder to get them (i.e. getting past more blockers).

True sky, but what I was getting at was more about our line and Webster in particulars size. You don't have to be huge to be effective. All this is kinda pure speculation right now anyway! We really won't know about this for about another month when pre-season game start!

It's not so much a matter of out-maneuvering offensive linemen as it is avoiding being run over as those 330-lb. o-linemen push your undersized d-line 3 yards into the backfield. It's tough to read and react to a play when you're fighting to keep your own guys from knocking you on your butt. And even a cursory look around the league will show you that top D's mount big d-line tackles. Buffalo (no. 2 D), for instance, has just one guy under 300. Ditto for the no. 10 D in Miami. No. 5 Tampa splits 50/50 between the under/over 300's. Etc., etc.

I don't have a problem with Webster's size, I just think the lightweight line in front of him is going to make it very difficult for him (as it would for anyone you'd care to put in his place, even Ray Lewis).

With the new defensive rules in effect, the primary weapon the Bengals will wield is a vastly improved defense. Smarter, faster, and harder hitting than the previous years addition.

IMO most of this advantage will hinge on ONeal. The pass coverage rule change won't effect him because he is not physical.

Plus his speed and skills should enable more man coverage against the likes of Moss, Chambers, Coles, Northcutt, Ward, Mason, etc.

If ONeal can do this, it will do what someone else on the forum said about freeing up Beckett in the box. That alone could help overcome the DLine disadvantage we'll no doubt face just about every game.

I don't have a problem with Webster's size, I just think the lightweight line in front of him is going to make it very difficult for him (as it would for anyone you'd care to put in his place, even Ray Lewis).

But Lewis has even less weight in front of him. They run a 3-4 and only have one DT....So is he getting worn down? Not hardly, he does't have the "beef" in front of him, he doesn't even fit the typical 3-4 Middle Backer Mold....Speed kills, and that's something that we now have at Linebacker. A 300 pound O-lineman is gonna have a hell of a time trying to tie up a 230 pound backer at full speed...

But Lewis has even less weight in front of him. They run a 3-4 and only have one DT....So is he getting worn down? Not hardly,

I don't know whether he'll get worn down or not, I never said anything of the sort. My point, for the third freaking time, is that the MLB, whoever he is, can't make plays if the line is consistenly being pushed back in his face. By the time he dodges the incoming traffic, the pass will be off or the RB already across the LOS.

And yes, Balti plays a 3-4...with both heavier DTs and heavier ends -- guys the weight of our DTs -- than we use. Speed is wonderful, but every successful line has a mix of speed and bulk, and right now the Bengals are unbalanced. All things considered, I think this year's D will be marginally better than last year's, but that flaw will prevent it from being anything special.

Offensive Coordinators know that usually the smallish-speedy guys are at their worst when you run right at them.

If I were the Jets, I would be trying that middle all day long--ALL DAY LONG.

;)