I agree with the commish

IMHO two is plenty. Three at the most. Get the rookies onto the field, take some snaps, and see how they perform against other teams. I'm just tired of watching a pointless 4th exhibition game against the Colts where Manning never takes the field. Extend the regular season instead! :bengal:

Goodell: NFL no longer needs 4 preseason games

By RACHEL COHEN, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP)—Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL no longer needs four preseason games, but the league should change its offseason training programs.

“It’s clear the fans don’t want four preseason games,” Goodell said Thursday after speaking to high school players at an NFL football clinic in Queens. “It’s clear the players don’t want four preseason games. They tell me that all the time. You ask them that question and they’ll tell you. And we really don’t need it to make the game better. So we have to evolve just as we did a couple of decades ago when we went from six preseason games to four.”

NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they met Wednesday for their first negotiating session since February. Teams would still play a total of 20 exhibition plus regular-season games under the proposal. The league would go from four in the preseason and 16 in the regular season to two and 18.

Players have expressed concerns about an increase in injuries. Goodell suggested adjustments in the offseason programs could alleviate that.

“I think you do have to make changes,” he said. “We’ve been very open about that from Day 1. I think we have to do it regardless.”

Players don’t have much of a true offseason these days when they can rest and take a break from football. While certain workouts are technically voluntary, they may not feel that way.

“Obviously there’s a lot of pressure from teammates and coaches,” Goodell said, “so I think we’re going to have to have some guidelines and restrictions on what can be done and can’t be done in the offseason.”

The collective bargaining agreement expires in March, which could lead to a work stoppage during the 2011 season. Goodell said he wasn’t concerned about the tone of the back-and-forth between the league and the NFL Players Association.

“This is a negotiation,” he said. “You have to have a dialogue about how to make the game better.”

The first preseason game, the starters don't make it to the 2nd quarter. The 4th preseason game, most of the starters come out after the first drive. That should be proof enough that the coaches don't feel like the players need more than 2 games to be ready for the season.

If the coaches feel like they need more to evaluate the bubble guys, schedule a scrimmage with another team like Bengals did with the Saints a couple years ago.

One home and one away game and all the teams get the same gate revenue. Anything unbalanced (3 games) would create problems.

As a season ticket holder, I would gladly replace a full price meaningless preseason game with at real one.

I do think they would have to expand the roster by a few players to cover the probable increase in injuries.

I don't like the proposed change, but it seems likely to happen so no matter. My fear is that with more real football time, starters will stand higher chances of pre-playoffs injury or fatigue. Another two regular season games also rather invalidates much of the league's recent statistical history, as it happened when the season was expanded from 14 to 16.

I'm all for an 18 game season....BUT.....Am I the only one who sees a BIG problem with players, and them demanding higher salaries for playing 18 games? I mean, let's face it, most "star " players don't play much in pre-season, but will definitely want more pay for playing hard for 18 games that count.

From the owners standpoint, it means 2 more weeks of national televised games (and probably some kind of adjustment to their current TV Deals), but are they willing to increase the cap and pay players more?........To Be Determined......

I wonder if it would make sense to have the bye week after the 8th game. Kind of a mid season rest.

Oh hell no Tony. The having to endure another bye week on top of the one we already are scheduled could be construed as cruel and unusual punishment. I truly hate them.

I wonder if it would make sense to have the bye week after the 8th game. Kind of a mid season rest.

Oh hell no Tony. The having to endure another bye week on top of the one we already are scheduled could be construed as cruel and unusual punishment. I truly hate them.

As a fan, I would gladly endure two bye weeks in exchange for 2 more meaningful games and 3 more weeks added to the football season.

Yes, the bye week sucks... but not as bad as the offseason... and that's 3 fewer weeks of boredom.

As a fan, I would gladly endure two bye weeks in exchange for 2 more meaningful games and 3 more weeks added to the football season.

Yes, the bye week sucks... but not as bad as the offseason... and that's 3 fewer weeks of boredom.

Guys, I only meant to move everyone's bye week to the middle of the season.

ALL the teams get a bye in the same week? I feel the television networks and sports bars will revolt at that suggestion.

ALL the teams get a bye in the same week? I feel the television networks and sports bars will revolt at that suggestion.

Good point but who woulda thunk we'd be having a cold weather Super Bowl in a few years?

Maybe we could play the Pro Bowl during that week?

My only intent would be to break the season up a bit. Instead of having bye weeks beginning in week 4 make them a little more near the middle of the season. Maybe weeks 8 and 9. Or 7 thru 10. Something that would benefit the teams but not give certain ones an advantage based on their bye week.

In my book, watching the Pro Bowl sucks minutely less than watching no football at all. In fact I prefer the MLB's All Star Series. It's an actual game between leagues with no special conditions set upon it.

In my book, watching the Pro Bowl sucks minutely less than watching no football at all. In fact I prefer the MLB's All Star Series. It's an actual game between leagues with no special conditions set upon it.

I used to enjoy it more when I was younger but it is a game with little meaning after the hype of the Super Bowl. Even with this new between-game format it has lost it's lustre.

But as for the All-Star game, I thought the winning team wins home field advantage for that league in the World Series.

They could always break it up by moving the HOF game to the middle of the year, use the week to honor the inductees even more, but instead of it being a game between two NFL teams, make it the highest rated college game of the week or between two teams that some of the inductees played college ball for.

Of course I'm really spitballing there, but you get what I'm saying. It provides a break in a longer season.