You Don't Live in Cleveland

Heh heh heh heh.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindeale...70228289200.xml

Roger Brown

BROWN'S TOWN

Salisbury: New Browns are the old Bengals

Friday, July 16, 2004

Thanks to their recent management up heaval and questionable overall talent, the Browns have become the laughingstock franchise of the NFL.

That's the view of opinionated, top-rate ESPN analyst Sean Salisbury. The former NFL quarterback says the Browns are now a team "coaches, players, executives and analysts around the league snicker about" when they talk among themselves.

"Right now, the Browns are what the Cincinnati Bengals used to be before Marvin Lewis became head coach," Salisbury says, referring to the franchise whose poor play and inept management drew national ridicule for years before finally improving when Lewis arrived last season.

And Salisbury puts the blame squarely on Browns coach Butch Davis for team's growing, league-wide reputation as a joke franchise.

"Butch has spent so much time pushing people out of the front office, it's caused negativity and disorientation throughout the whole club," Salisbury says, noting the recent departure of team president Carmen Policy, personnel consultant Ron Wolf and others. "When I talk to current and former [browns] about Butch," Salisbury adds, "the one thing they all say is they don't trust him. That's a killer on a team."

The analyst says while the Browns (5-11 last season) have good individual players in rookie tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., quarterback Jeff Garcia and running back Lee Suggs, their overall talent ranks with San Francisco and San Diego as the NFL's worst.

"If the Browns win six games this season, there should be celebrations in Cleveland," Salisbury says. "And that's a shame, because the Browns fans are great. They deserve better."

I still don't understand the Butch hiring.  Even more--I don't understand how Butch still has a job.

How can this be???

I dunno either, but it's certainly lots of fun to watch their indignant fans spin like deranged dervishes when someone points out the obvious about their team. Take this Cuyahoga-water-chugger for example...

http://www.fanmonster.com/blogs/tfd/

SEAN SALISBURY AND THE MEDIA HATERS

Sean Salisbury has abused his position at ESPN by labeling Butch Davis and the Browns a laughingstock of the National Football League. It’s not fact. It’s not even rumor. It’s reckless lack of respect for the organization.

The Browns are damned if you do, damned if you don’t. As many Browns fans have pointed out right here, the holdup in moving Couch—to some extent—is the player and his agent.

The Browns were unmercifully ripped when they let Kevin Johnson go, without pursuing any sort of compensation. Butch Davis, in allowing KJ to pursue his career elsewhere, was more generous than Jon Gruden, who deactivated Keyshawn Johnson for the remainder of the 2003 season. The reaction then was that Butch Davis was out of control, a madman, unable to handle his roster. But Gruden—media darling—was taking a stand against a selfish, lockerroom cancer. Butch Davis was ripped when he (a) let a key player go free and B when he’s held his own with the Couch situation.

Browns fans should stand behind Coach Davis at this time.

The team has endured a turbulent and strange reorganization, but when the Browns start winning, NOBODY will remember the front office reshuffling. In fact, if discussed at all, the media will jump on Lerner as a whiz kid, one of the young mavericks of the league. There were too many cooks in the kitchen—and that’s been solved.

The organization has (a) totally revamped their salary-cap problems B will be in great cap shape for seasons to come c won a coup with the Dennis Northcutt situation (d) drafted a wonderful tight end and (e) refuses to hand Tim Couch away for nothing.

If the Browns do end up releasing Couch, we can feel confident they did their all to trade him (outside the division). Allowing him to play within the division is not in the team’s interest.

Sean Salisbury has a problem with the Cleveland Browns. To lambaste the team twice in a fortnight—ripping Davis both times—suggests something personal. It is bad journalism, based not on fact, but vendetta.

The Browns can silence their detractors in 2004. But it must be done on the field.

Until then, the perception of the team is negative, which is nothing new. It is an example of how vacuous and shallow the media’s admiration of the team will be when they emerge as the surprise team of 2004.

I could spend hours ripping the obvious stupidity in that apart, starting with the idea that Salisbury is "abusing his position" by doing his job (I guess he's not abusing his position if he says only nice, fluffy things...). And then, of course, there's his list of positives that ends with "(e) refuses to hand Tim Couch away for nothing." Oh, wait, right, you did refuse to hand over THE BIGGEST BUST IN BROWNS FRANCHISE HISTORY for free. Well, bully for the Browns :lol: :lol: :lol:. Yes, I could spend hours, but it just isn't worth the time... Funny, tho :)

I still don't understand the Butch hiring.  Even more--I don't understand how Butch still has a job.

How can this be???

I dunno either, but it's certainly lots of fun to watch their indignant fans spin like deranged dervishes when someone points out the obvious about their team. Take this Cuyahoga-water-chugger for example...

http://www.fanmonster.com/blogs/tfd/

SEAN SALISBURY AND THE MEDIA HATERS

Sean Salisbury has abused his position at ESPN by labeling Butch Davis and the Browns a laughingstock of the National Football League. It’s not fact. It’s not even rumor. It’s reckless lack of respect for the organization.

The Browns are damned if you do, damned if you don’t. As many Browns fans have pointed out right here, the holdup in moving Couch—to some extent—is the player and his agent.

The Browns were unmercifully ripped when they let Kevin Johnson go, without pursuing any sort of compensation. Butch Davis, in allowing KJ to pursue his career elsewhere, was more generous than Jon Gruden, who deactivated Keyshawn Johnson for the remainder of the 2003 season. The reaction then was that Butch Davis was out of control, a madman, unable to handle his roster. But Gruden—media darling—was taking a stand against a selfish, lockerroom cancer. Butch Davis was ripped when he (a) let a key player go free and B when he’s held his own with the Couch situation.

Browns fans should stand behind Coach Davis at this time.

The team has endured a turbulent and strange reorganization, but when the Browns start winning, NOBODY will remember the front office reshuffling. In fact, if discussed at all, the media will jump on Lerner as a whiz kid, one of the young mavericks of the league. There were too many cooks in the kitchen—and that’s been solved.

The organization has (a) totally revamped their salary-cap problems B will be in great cap shape for seasons to come c won a coup with the Dennis Northcutt situation (d) drafted a wonderful tight end and (e) refuses to hand Tim Couch away for nothing.

If the Browns do end up releasing Couch, we can feel confident they did their all to trade him (outside the division). Allowing him to play within the division is not in the team’s interest.

Sean Salisbury has a problem with the Cleveland Browns. To lambaste the team twice in a fortnight—ripping Davis both times—suggests something personal. It is bad journalism, based not on fact, but vendetta.

The Browns can silence their detractors in 2004. But it must be done on the field.

Until then, the perception of the team is negative, which is nothing new. It is an example of how vacuous and shallow the media’s admiration of the team will be when they emerge as the surprise team of 2004.

I could spend hours ripping the obvious stupidity in that apart, starting with the idea that Salisbury is "abusing his position" by doing his job (I guess he's not abusing his position if he says only nice, fluffy things...). And then, of course, there's his list of positives that ends with "(e) refuses to hand Tim Couch away for nothing." Oh, wait, right, you did refuse to hand over THE BIGGEST BUST IN BROWNS FRANCHISE HISTORY for free. Well, bully for the Browns :lol: :lol: :lol:. Yes, I could spend hours, but it just isn't worth the time... Funny, tho :)

First off, I like to say that I'm laughing my ass of at that post. :lol::lol:

Second, I'm glad I'm not a Cleveland Fan, or I'd have to go rip that guy a new a**h***. Keyshawn is an idiot--deactivating that guy was VERY SMART on JG's part. I don't remember Kevin Johnson s**tting at the mouth to the press. Those are 2 different circumstance altogether.

Sean Salisbury is dead on when he called the Turds the new Bungles. They are. It wouldn't surprise me if the Turds didn't win a game against their AFC Nothing Division foes all year next year.

It would shock me if the Bungles don't sweep the Browns.

Standing behind Butch Davis??? If I were a Browns Fan, I would be pissed that Butch hasn't been fired yet. This should help Browns Fans out--Butch Davis is the 32nd Best Coach in the NFL.

I'm glad I'm watching that from afar. I can laugh my ass off at Clevelanders like this. It's f**king hilarious.

I'm absolutely glowing that the Turds have more problems than a Soviet Nuclear Reactor.

:lol::lol:

Heck, you like that one, Conan, you gonna love this note from the tail end of Lenny's latest Tip Sheet column:

Punts: Look for the Cleveland Browns to announce a significant front office addition next week. The hire won't be involved in football operations but it will reinforce that Browns ownership is very aware of how the franchise is perceived and that the club must do a better job of marketing itself locally.

Yup, that's the ticket! They don't need FOOTBALL GUYS, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: No, they need better LOCAL PUBLIC RELATIONS!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck, you like that one, Conan, you gonna love this note from the tail end of Lenny's latest Tip Sheet column:
Punts: Look for the Cleveland Browns to announce a significant front office addition next week. The hire won't be involved in football operations but it will reinforce that Browns ownership is very aware of how the franchise is perceived and that the club must do a better job of marketing itself locally.

Yup, that's the ticket! They don't need FOOTBALL GUYS, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: No, they need better LOCAL PUBLIC RELATIONS!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhh--you've GOTTA LOVE those Mistakers-By-The-Lakers. So, PUBLIC RELATIONS has been the whole problem for the Browns--not COACHING, or getting rid of ALL your starting Linebackers, or getting rid of MOST of your receiving corps, or having horrid drafts (see Couch in 1999, or William Green a couple of years back).

So, the solution is hire MICROSOFT's MARKETING DEPARTMENT??? That will show us Bungle Fans.

:lol::lol::lol:

Truthfully, I don't think there is enough Kurt Cobain Therapy on the Southern Shores of Lake Erie. Here, let me help:

1. Take out 12-guage shotgun

2. Load it

3. Put it in mouth

Well, I'm kidding--I'd rather keep Browns Fans around for pure comedy relief value.

:lol:

After reading that article,all I can say to Browns fans is welcome to our world.They are just getting a taste of what bengals fans have endured for 12 years,and if Botch Davis continues to run the show the downward spiral will only get worse.

Do I enjoy the misery that Browns fans are going through?After 12 years of listening to taunts from their fans,the answer is yes.

For anyone who wants a few more good laughs at the Clowns' expense I recommend http://www.brownshater.com/ The "tribute" to Timmy is a classic; so is the song. They have a message board but it's a Steeler site, so be warned!

This looks exactly like the guy who runs "Ravenssuck.com!" He too is a Squeelers fan! I think if the Bengals win the division this year, look for him to start up another website bashing the Bengals! :lol:

do a better job of marketing itself locally.

Meet the answer to all Cleveland's problems: new PR whiz Julia Payne!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale...31590456640.xml

Before joining the Redskins, Payne, 36, had forged a lofty reputation in Washington media circles as a White House public relations executive during the Bill Clinton presidency. When Clinton opened an office in New York City after his term expired, Payne rejoined him as his official spokesperson.

When she inevitably gets the axe, I can hear Butchie at the press conference now: "I did not have public relations with that woman..."

Meet the answer to all Cleveland's problems: new PR whiz Julia Payne!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale...31590456640.xml

Before joining the Redskins, Payne, 36, had forged a lofty reputation in Washington media circles as a White House public relations executive during the Bill Clinton presidency. When Clinton opened an office in New York City after his term expired, Payne rejoined him as his official spokesperson.

When she inevitably gets the axe, I can hear Butchie at the press conference now: "I did not have public relations with that woman..."

I wonder if Julia Payne has a blue dress and a "cigar history"?????

:lol::lol:

Bill Clinton's PR??? Oh boy, that pretty much solves the Brownies' "Problem". Now they're back in business!!!!!

Yeah, right!!!

:lol: