Bengals sign ex-Buckeye kicker Nugent

Tee

Bengals ink ex-Buckeye kicker Nugent

With all quiet after they made an offer to Shayne Graham a few weeks ago, the Bengals signed their second kicker of the offseason when they inked Ohio State’s Mike Nugent Friday.

Ironically, Nugent, 28, from nearby Centerville, Ohio, arrived the day of the second round. It was five years ago the Jets took Nugent with the 47th pick and he had 80 percent accuracy in his first three seasons. But then he injured his quadricep on an extra point in 2008 and lost his job for good to Jay Feely in the ultimate Wally Pipp-New York.

He surfaced In Tampa Bay last year and won the job but he was cut after missing four of six tries. Nugent pinch hit for the injured Neil Rackers late in the year and hit both kicks for the Cardinals. He now joins Dave Rayner on the Bengals roster.

“This is a guy that was highly regarded coming out in the draft and if we can get him back where he was before the injury, he’s a very interesting guy,” said special teams coach Darrin Simmons.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-ink-ex-Buckeye-kicker-Nugent/1266a297-3158-42dc-abed-28281246ae0d

Good pickup. If we sign Graham we're stupid. He's blown way too many big games, he's a choker.

Nugent is anything but, and maybe he can find his form again. Golfers go through these multi-year slumps all the time, then pull out and get good again.

Hair, I know you're not in Columbus to have seen it, but your Wango Tango reference is fitting. When Nugent kicked off for the Buckeyes, they always played the guitar intro to "Stranglehold". It was pretty awesome.

I keep track of old metal, and Nugent is supposedly going to cover a song called "Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead", originally done by a band called Skinless. If he covers it, I'm emailing PBS to ask them to play that tune.

Hair, I know you're not in Columbus to have seen it, but your Wango Tango reference is fitting. When Nugent kicked off for the Buckeyes, they always played the guitar intro to "Stranglehold". It was pretty awesome.

I admit "Stranglehold" is a far better song, but the title reminds me a little too much of choking....and that's the last thing a Bengal kicker needs to think about before attempting a FG.

Hmm. Well, as a Buckeye fan, I remember Nugent kicking it out of the endzone on kickoffs and hitting game winning FGs from 50+ with ease, as if he had ice water in his veins.

It seems like a PK is the position that changes the least from the college to NFL jump. What's different? Was it just the injury? Because he sure as hell was better at OSU than he has been in the pros.

I am struck a little by the timing of this. If Simmons liked him as much as he leads on, why didn't they sign him when they tried him out several months ago? Why wait until draft day? The Bengals hadn't done much of anything do address Graham's departure, so I assumed they would draft a kicker in the 5th or 6th round. Now, I doubt it. At the very least, it's an interesting move.

Hmm. Well, as a Buckeye fan, I remember Nugent kicking it out of the endzone on kickoffs and hitting game winning FGs from 50+ with ease, as if he had ice water in his veins.

It seems like a PK is the position that changes the least from the college to NFL jump. What's different? Was it just the injury? Because he sure as hell was better at OSU than he has been in the pros.

I am struck a little by the timing of this. If Simmons liked him as much as he leads on, why didn't they sign him when they tried him out several months ago? Why wait until draft day? The Bengals hadn't done much of anything do address Graham's departure, so I assumed they would draft a kicker in the 5th or 6th round. Now, I doubt it. At the very least, it's an interesting move.

kickoff placement on field (farther back), diff ball, different kick design by coaches due to level of play of returners, etc.

you will notice EVERY kickers numbers get worse before they get better when they make the transition.

No one seems to understand it's a different game.

And Shayne was NEVER a kickoff guy in college, so he had to learn that (totally diff kick than FG) in the NFL.

kickoff placement on field (farther back), diff ball, different kick design by coaches due to level of play of returners, etc.

you will notice EVERY kickers numbers get worse before they get better when they make the transition.

And Shayne was NEVER a kickoff guy in college, so he had to learn that (totally diff kick than FG) in the NFL.

If anything, the NFL is easier on kickers for the FG... and that's what I was talking about in regards to Nugent, not his kickoffs.

In college the hash marks are wider on the field, so short yardage FGs are tougher.

Everything else (other than the level of the athletes trying to block the kick) is the same.

NFL and NCAA balls have the same specifications.

Both the NCAA and the NFL footballs have the same specifications. The specifications of these footballs are: Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 "; Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

But this debate is neither here nor there. The question is if Nugent is even the same guy he was at OSU... and thus far in his NFL career, the answer has been no.

If anything, the NFL is easier on kickers for the FG... and that's what I was talking about in regards to Nugent, not his kickoffs.

In college the hash marks are wider on the field, so short yardage FGs are tougher.

Everything else (other than the level of the athletes trying to block the kick) is the same.

NFL and NCAA balls have the same specifications.

Both the NCAA and the NFL footballs have the same specifications. The specifications of these footballs are: Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 "; Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

But this debate is neither here nor there. The question is if Nugent is even the same guy he was at OSU... and thus far in his NFL career, the answer has been no.

Balls are not the same. The NFL ball isn't as wide and "soft" as the college ball. And the NFL balls are always brand new straight from the box every kick. Hard as hell, and harder when it's cold. BIG difference. I have seen the many collected footballs from Shayne, and kicked many as well as I work out with him at times when I'm in for a visit during the summer.