WHO THINKS ITS A GOOD MOVE TO SIGN GILDON?

BENGALTHEM

At first I didn't like the idea. Simply because getting Gildon doesn't address the DT. And we already have at least 7 linebackers plus we can use that money for Rudi in the future, or somebody else we want to retain or bring in.

But I read somewhere that they would put him at DE. I think Gildon would be a damn good DE on passing situations. Plus if either Smith or Clemmons gets hurt, we could plug him in, and not loose much on pass rush.

I think that getting Gildon cant hurt. We need as much help on D as we can get.

I hope he signs.

Whether it's a good move or not, I just don't think it's gonna happen in Cincy. It just doesn't seem to be the direction Marvin's heading with the team right now. I believe he's ready and willing to work with the players he's presently got.

Old veterans are usually just that... old veterans. Looking around the league you can see many examples of failed veterans coming to new teams. Joe Johnson was recently cut from the Packers after failing to even play more than half a season after signing a huge contract.

A little more closer to Gildon's situation, Hardy Nickerson was playing great with the Buccaneers. When he got released and the Packers picked him up, he played poorly and was instrumental in the Packer's total run stop deficiency. #1 pick Barnett was made to address a weakness that Nickerson added, and adding old veterans to a team is the wrong way to build for the future which is what the Bengals are trying to do.

Any upgrade on defense sounds like a good idea to me... I believe they'll play Gildon as a DE, if I'm not mistaken, so he'll more than likely be a better player than either Clemmons or Powell. We've got some money to spend after the Gardner deal fell apart, and like I said, an upgrade is definately an upgrade.

I believe Ted Washington signed with the Raiders.

I don't really care much if Gildon signs or not. I don't usually trust those Pittsburgh LB's to be that good outside of Pittsburgh. However, he could provide some athleticism and pass rushing savvy on the outside, which would be nice.

Whether it's a good move or not, I just don't think it's gonna happen in Cincy. It just doesn't seem to be the direction Marvin's heading with the team right now. I believe he's ready and willing to work with the players he's presently got.

Got to go with Billy on this one. Gildon situation reminds me of Sapp.

Sapp ( at what we were offering ) would have been an OK signing and that would have been about it. Gildon wouldn't even be and OK signing. He'd be used situationally, and that would be about it. Let him got to the Packers or Bills , and then see who they cut in order to make room for him. If it's the right guy, we'd be coming out way ahead signing him.

I have mixed feelings on this.

I do believe he could(at the right price-league minimum or close)come in and help on passing downs,so that part of me says get him.

The other part says let him go elsewhere and keep and develop one of the kids we drafted.

The Bills would have to cut someone, but I don't believe the Pack would, what with their recent release of Johnson and trade of Reynolds -- a double hole at DE Gildon could fill.

Were they to sign him -- which I think is very unlikely -- I don't expect the Bills to cut anyone worth anything.

The Packers seem like the best fit, and with them down two DEs now my bet is that all the "I'm getting close to a decison...really, I am...it could come any time now...annnnnnytime now..." chatter is an attempt to bait them into sweetening their offer. If they don't, I think he goes there anyhow because he'll get the best chance to start and the Packers are always in the playoff mix. Here or in Buff he'd be a backup/role player.

Depends how badly you want to win.

There aren't going to be many if any defensive players better than him available this off-season.. I'd like to win the Superbowl this year, if at all possible. And if Gildon makes it any more possible, bring him in for a year.

The Pack might pass on Kenny Holmes to sign Gildon as a DE, but it's unlikely Gildon would start. Johnson and Reynolds were non-factors for the Pack last year and they were in effect already replaced.

Gildon has a better shot to start at DE with the Bills. He'd also have a better shot to play SSLB w/ the Bills than the Pack.

The ante should be upped for Gildon. Even if we don't sign him, ML's bid could force the Bills to cut better DTs than they otherwise will have to.

Worse case we get him and he'll produce.

The only reason I could see signing him is for experience. There are many young LB that could use a mentor. He's been on some very good steeler teams, but at 6' 4'' and 250 lbs he seems smallish to be playing end. However, if he hasn't lost his speed maybe some kind of 5 LB set with one safety could work. :wacko:

Unfortunately, the Rooney's wouldn't be letting him go if he still was worth what he thinks is left in his tank. ;)

But if coach Lewis wants him then so do I. :blink:

Signing Gildon actually provide depth for three positions IMO... First of all, he played OLB (but that was in a 3-4 D, so that isn't exactly the same, but not a tough transition) so he could backup Simmons or Hardy at LB... I think he would be brought in as a 3rd down DE to rush the passer, which he does very well... this allows either Clemens or Powell to get more time at DT (they have been getting snaps there in practices so far this year)... I see it backing up 3 positions w/ a veteran, adding leadership to this d, and brings in a pass rusher that gives us 77 career sacks... Please sign here Gildon IMO

To say i want him, i also have to say who to cut... "don't let the door hit u on the ass on the way out, Mr Adrian Ross :D ...

What do u guys think?

To say i want him, i also have to say who to cut... "don't let the door hit u on the ass on the way out, Mr Adrian Ross :D ...

Ukbell is dead on about Gildon's versatility, even a slower aged Gildon.

Also, Clemons seems a better DT rotation fix than Powell, but both are too light IMO. Clemons has a knack for sacks at DE but he's no count against the run. Playing on the same line w' Justin, though, probably makes Clemons look a helluva lot slower than he really is.

And Mr. Dwayne Levels :D

According to bengals.com, today's the day...

QUICK HITS: The agent for former Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon said his client planned to make a decision Wednesday night and thought an announcement would come some time Thursday. The Bengals have been talking to Peter Schaffer for nearly a month and he is saying Gildon is choosing among three teams: Bengals, Bills, Packers. . .

I continue to agree with those who see him fishing for a better contract. "I'll really do it...I'll sign with Cincy...really, I will...reeeeeeallly I will...last chance...going once...going twice...going three times...okay, going four times..."

According to bengals.com, today's the day...
QUICK HITS: The agent for former Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon said his client planned to make a decision Wednesday night and thought an announcement would come some time Thursday. The Bengals have been talking to Peter Schaffer for nearly a month and he is saying Gildon is choosing among three teams: Bengals, Bills, Packers. . .

I continue to agree with those who see him fishing for a better contract. "I'll really do it...I'll sign with Cincy...really, I will...reeeeeeallly I will...last chance...going once...going twice...going three times...okay, going four times..."

I've never seen this happen before--a veteran player using the Bungles as leverage!!! That's ludicrous.

;):lol::lol:

Let them drive the price up.

It looks like GB would have to cut to get Gildon.

Green Bay New Chronicle

Though the Packers salvaged some room on this year's salary cap through those two moves (Johnson and Reynolds), they may be hard pressed to meet Gildon's contract demands. It's believed the Packers are roughly $3 million under the $80.5 million salary cap, but they have to set aside $2.7 million for the rookie contracts that will be forthcoming.

Still, Schaffer said he's been in discussions "every day" with Packers officials as the team pursues Gildon.

"They're still involved (in the bidding process)," Schaffer assured.

Let them drive the price up.

I think that's exactly the problem (at least from Gildon's perspective): the price isn't going up. Gildon and his agent aren't just using the Bengals as leverage against the Bills and Packers, they're doing their level best to use all three teams as leverage against each other. "Oh, yeah, the Bengals are still in it." "Oh, we talk to the Pack every day, every day."

Which isn't surprising, of course. It's just how the game is played. Sapp and his agent did the same thing; "we're gonna sign with the Bengals annnnny minute now..." And in the end the Raiders swooped in with the big bucks. Gildon is trying to play the same game, hoping either a fourth bidder will appear, or one of the three will pony up some more dough.

My bet is no fourth team is going to appear, and none of the three teams in the alleged mix have any reason to step up. No one actually needs Gildon. He might get some kind of kicker as a face-saver, an extra $50k on the signing bonus or something like that, but the price is not going up significantly.