Matt Jones TE?

bengalskyspy

Matt Jones @ TE  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion of this idea?

I think the WR spot needs more attention than the TE spot. Leave Jones where he is. I took him three years to get comfortable playing receiver after being a college QB. I doubt he makes the transition to TE any better. This is a dumb move.

The big "C" must stand for "clown". This sounds like another pointless third-hand report without any attribution at all to a decision-maker with the actual team. I especially detest internet rumor reports that posit an unlikely scenario with a question mark. At any rate, I don't believe for a second that the Bengals intend to turn Matt Jones into a TE unless they are revamping the offense to encompass "move" TEs who aren't expected to do any in-line blocking. In that case, Jones' role would be virtually indistinguishable from what he really is,i.e.,a big sure-handed possession receiver. They may line him up at various places, but his role will be to catch the ball and make first downs or catch TDs in the redzone.Of course, its probably wise to wait until ML or Bratkowski actually make some public utterance on how they plan to use Matt Jones. At this point, i'm just glad the Bengals have already gotten started bringing in potential weapons for the passing offense. The more the merrier. Hell, I wouldn't even mind them bringing in T.O, if the price was right.But, for the time being,I guess every idiotic internet statement from some supposedly legitimate news site will take on an unlikely life of its own as long as sites like Profootballtalk.com and Rotoworld.com repeat any and everything that some other idiot says.

I am not only befuddled by this move, I am also bewildered and beguiled. We need help on the outside. It could end up working out, but if he is just going to be running routes anyways, why not leave him at wr.

The Bengals need help on the inside and outside. I don't care where they line Jones up as long as they brought him in for his pass-catching ability.

Hey...maybe somebody read my post in the Matt Jones-Redeemer at work thread? i was only being half-serious, but.....

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

tdlong, on 11 February 2010 - 11:17 PM, said:

BengalPimp, on 12 February 2010 - 12:07 AM, said:

tdlong, on 11 February 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

I will literry poo my pants if we get matt jones... Pacman not so much...

What? You don't want a 6'6" WR that runs a 4.7 40 ? Oh, I get it....They want to teach him to block, and use him as a TE...NO !!!

Seriously, we've got DE's that run faster...

4.7???? Dude he runs like a 4.3 outta college. now its its probably a 4.4 or 4.5 if he stayed in shape... so yes i do want him thats why i'd crap myself.

Granted coming out of college the dude ran like 4.37-4.39 ish...But that was then, and also without pads...He is not nearly that fast on the field, as evidenced by his career avg of 13.0 yards per reception. He is not a big play threat like someone who "supposedly" runs a 4.3 40 would be.

By comparison, Chad has a 14.5 yd per reception career avg, and he wont run a 4.3 40.....

a 40 time is not always an indicator of "game speed", and honestly, If he truly ran a 4.3 40 at 6'6", his routes could be crap, and he would still get open on size and speed alone.....but that's not the case.

If anything.... I say, see if he can add 25 lbs, see how good his blocking is....and make him a TE.

The guy was a QB in college, didn't translate as a pro, was drafted with the idea of converting to WR, didn't really work...Why not make a 3rd change to TE...Third times the charm right?

Bengal-Pimpin' Ain't Easy

I have no issues with them giving that a shot. None. Good size, good hands, and that "slow twitch" stuff is less of an issue from the TE slot. Hair is right from the other thread, prior to that effin' shouldn't have happened injury against Cleveland in 2006, Tab Perry was starting to do significant damage from a hybridy TE spot. Jones could potentially fill that.

Worth a shot.

I have no issues with them giving that a shot. None. Good size, good hands, and that "slow twitch" stuff is less of an issue from the TE slot. Hair is right from the other thread, prior to that effin' shouldn't have happened injury against Cleveland in 2006, Tab Perry was starting to do significant damage from a hybridy TE spot. Jones could potentially fill that.

Worth a shot.

I think that was me....

dotcom

Contrary to internet reports the Bengals aren’t thinking about putting newly-signed wide receiver Matt Jones at tight end. As PFT called it, Jones simply isn’t big enough. When the Bengals officially announced his signing Thursday, they listed him at 6-6, 218 pounds. The only tight end they have under contract is Chase Coffman, but everyone figures they have to draft one fairly high…

dotcom

Contrary to internet reports the Bengals aren’t thinking about putting newly-signed wide receiver Matt Jones at tight end. As PFT called it, Jones simply isn’t big enough. When the Bengals officially announced his signing Thursday, they listed him at 6-6, 218 pounds. The only tight end they have under contract is Chase Coffman, but everyone figures they have to draft one fairly high…

Yeah, no s**t. Any dumbass with half a clue could have told you that report was bulls**t. My goodness, people are either really stupid or really gullible. I don't know how anyone took that stupid report seriously.

dotcom

Yeah, no s**t. Any dumbass with half a clue could have told you that report was bulls**t. My goodness, people are either really stupid or really gullible. I don't know how anyone took that stupid report seriously.

Yep. It's also evidence that the non-traditional press has very little respect or adherence to reporting etiquette. Rumor, speculation? Hell! Post it!

I'm still trying to find a story that officially states Rey had minors in his car...because if he indeed did, he'd be charged with that. But of course someone, some site ran with that story and now it's fact.

dotcom

I am not about to be an apologist for PFT, but they are now part of NBC Sports and the original article was in The Dayton Daily News.

Worth a shot.

I think that was me....

Nope. At least not the post I was referring to. Hair wrote this:

Well, I'm just guessing here, but prior to the position being gutted by injury last season Brat had claimed the playbook was being reworked around the TE position. And THAT plan was apparently going to feature the two most recent additions to the TE corp, Utecht and Coffman, the former well known for being a horrible blocker and the latter somehow considered even worse. So, ignoring for a moment how completely last seasons plan blew up...one thing seems certain enough. That being, there's a spot here for a puffed up WR like Jones or Perry or a flyweight TE like Coffamn or Utecht.

I think that is spot on. And I hope the Bengals quick denials are just pro forma. I want them looking under rocks and in unusual places for help. And I don't like Jones on the outside, but think he could help from the kind of TE hybrid the team has played around with for a few years.

The dude was a first round pick because of his freakish combination of size and athletic ability (he ran a 4.37 40 and had a 39 1/2 vert. jump at the 2005 combine) despite playing a different position his entire college career. We signed him for nothing if we have to waive him nothing is guaranteed, this is a non-story please also keep in mind that he was offered by the Tennessee Titans as well.

Also keep in mind that in his last year of Professional Football, 2008, he had 65 catches for 761 yards despite only playing 12 games.

Yet another example of Joe Pong saying nothing at all until official confirmation or denial is received. Then, when it's safe to offer an opinion of he jumps in at the end, tells everyone how stupid they are, and procedes to say I told you so despite the fact his dumb ass didn't offer s**t, one way or the other.

Joe Pong, blower of goats.

According to Carlos Big Daddy Holmes, the Bengals see MJ as a tight end. I think this is brilliant, and could resurrect this guy's career. Start eating now Matt, cuz your gonna need an extra 20 pounds or so to hold up here though.Profootballtalk article

I agree , this could be an awesome move on the bengals part. He has height and he is fast and has got good hands. Not sure how the blocking will work out for him but for a passing tightend it could work really good! So lets just hope he works out to be a plus for the team. He is talented but we have to wait and see if he can pull it all together and be a good player! Who Dey!

Yet another example of Joe Pong saying nothing at all until official confirmation or denial is received. Then, when it's safe to offer an opinion of he jumps in at the end, tells everyone how stupid they are, and procedes to say I told you so despite the fact his dumb ass didn't offer s**t, one way or the other.

Joe Pong, blower of goats.

I think you need to check your facts. I immediately said that this story was complete bulls**t the second it was posted.

Now I have been proven correct, once again.

I am not only befuddled by this move, I am also bewildered and beguiled. We need help on the outside. It could end up working out, but if he is just going to be running routes anyways, why not leave him at wr.

Umm...they are.

And this, my proclamation that the bengals were going to leave him at WR and not move him to TE.

All before Hobson's story on bengals.com about how th story had no validity. Pretty easy to check the time.

People who know football would have known immediately that it was bs just like I did. The fact that people were even discussing it ws pretty amusing.