Bengals already ranked by NFL.com

cincyhokie

I didn't have the Bengals winning the AFCN at the beginning of last year either. I do find it interesting how the pundits are already looking at the Bengals' 2009 season as a fluke.

The major things that separate this team from falling back into the "same ol' Bengals" like they did in 2006 are:

Solid defense (#4 ranked)

Solid ruuning game (#9 ranked)

Team identity, direction, and leadership

This team has holes but fewer holes to fill overall than they did at the end of 2005.

I understand their rankings. Surely the Bengals look like a one-year type surprise team to most unbiased observers who can't be bothered to research everything before tossing up some quick power rankings. We're also in a division with two teams who're quite obviously capable of putting up 12 wins next year (whether they actually will do so is questionable, but would anyone really argue they can?).

Most people will keep Cincinnati well apart from the top ten. I don't think we should be all that high either, frankly. The team is assured to have much-needed continuity next year, so yeah -- the Bengals are capable of doing big things as well. Let's not shun the talking heads for hesitating though. Based upon their finish to the '09 season and the current disparity in talent between offense and defense, I think I'd stick the Bengals somewhere in the 16-13 area.

A lot can change.

While I love that we completely changed the mindset of what kind of football team we are and with a great D and a great running game you are in any game but I'm completely worried about the brutal schedule next year.

I see the schedule as being tough too. I guess I just don't get the worry part. What happens if they do go 8-8 and miss the playoffs? We've been there before. So what. This team went 10-6. It's got a good core. We're a couple players away on offense to being pretty good. Bring on the Pats, Colts, Saints, etc. Blah, blah, blah. F 'em.

Well if you based it on end of year performance can you blame them? Let's face it, we didn't exactly finish the season with a roar...More like a whimper..But a list like that in Feb is pretty stupid at best.

I really don't even see what the point is in ranking teams at this point. Free agency hasn't even started and we still have the draft to go. Nobody knows who's going to be on what roster next year with the exception of a handful of superstars.

I really don't even see what the point is in ranking teams at this point. Free agency hasn't even started and we still have the draft to go. Nobody knows who's going to be on what roster next year with the exception of a handful of superstars.

really. rankings mean nothing at this point, but i am glad we're back under the radar...plus, we played suckass football at the end of the season- nothing to show we're a legit team.

why in the hell should anyone care at all about what these people think? seriously. why is this even a topic here?

Well, sunshine, there's not much to talk about in the offseason. So we'll criticize articles like this on NFL.com, if that's ok with you. Seriously, if you don't like the topic, don't read it. It's quite simple.