Rest the Starters ?

Dadraftnick

I want to see the second stringers out there, the whole game. I also want the OC to open up the passing game and play a completely different style game against NYJ. See what routes work against them and what wont. Let LJ carry the bulk of the running game with Scott and Leonard getting some looks. Give the banged up D some rest, let Peko and Crocker shake off some rust if they are ready, but not more than a quarter.

I mostly agree, but with one important qualifier.

I'd play the starting O-line the entire game to give O'Sullivan and LJ better odds of succeeding against a Jet team that actually likes to play the same grinding style of football as Cincy.

I want to see the second stringers out there, the whole game. I also want the OC to open up the passing game and play a completely different style game against NYJ. See what routes work against them and what wont. Let LJ carry the bulk of the running game with Scott and Leonard getting some looks. Give the banged up D some rest, let Peko and Crocker shake off some rust if they are ready, but not more than a quarter.

I'd play the starting O-line the entire game to give O'Sullivan and LJ better odds of succeeding against a Jet team that actually likes to play the same grinding style of football as Cincy.

That's not a bad idea. They need all the practice they can get at eliminating penalties.

That's not a bad idea. They need all the practice they can get at eliminating penalties.

I can see that logic. I have to wonder, though, if a week off to decompress may not take a little pressure off and help the penalties. They've had this issue for the past several weeks, last Sunday not being as bad. Maybe a mental break will help them out.

Who knows? It is a problem. They know it's a problem, yet it keeps happening. With the playoffs coming, if I'm a player or a coach I'm doing everything I can to fix it. This team doesn't get to the playoffs very often so they need to get it done now.

Resting a large number of starters against the Jets guarantees only that the Bengals will get their asses kicked and embarrassed on primetime nationwide TV. Is a bad loss really a good way to head into the playoffs? Was it in 2005? Losers lose on purpose.

Resting a large number of starters against the Jets guarantees only that the Bengals will get their asses kicked and embarrassed on primetime nationwide TV. Is a bad loss really a good way to head into the playoffs? Was it in 2005? Losers lose on purpose.

'Is a bad loss really a good way to head into the playoffs? Was it in 2005?'

How in the world can you ask that question? I guess we'll never know, will we, since the 2005-2006 playoff loss is directly attributable in large part to Carson Palmer blowing out his knee three minutes into the game, not to losing a game by resting starters.

Losers lose on purpose? Bullcrap. No one loses on purpose, unless they're paid to throw a game. You play the second string Sunday, they will still try to win the game. Who knows, they may even pull it off.