Larkin not retiring?

The Brew Man

Good. He's still the man at Short and proves that he's a little far away from old age considering he's an all-star (which still kind of suprised me).. I wonder if it was a Jack McKeon favor???

Anyway, we really don't have anyone coming up to fill his sport. I guess you could consider Castro as the future SS, but he's too busy playing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and, well, Larkin is a stud this season.

the only problem is Linder willing to pay Castro (who Marty said was the best utlitity infielder he's ever seen in 30 years) when he becomes a free-agent at the end of the season?

I hope they don't push Larkin out, but it is about time to think about a replacement since he doesn't play everyday.

Get rid of Larson. Have Castro at third, Freel in RF and Hummel come off the bench.

You'al are losing me on this one. I wanted to quote each of you, but I don't know how.

From what I saw Sunday castro is a better third baseman than shortstop. He was just enough out of position several times, but he was very quick on one particular hot play. Larkin came in as a pinch hitter in the seventh and stayed while proceeding to rock.

WHO WOULDN'T PLAY BALL FOR 3.5 MILLION IF THEY COULD. :blink:

:unsure: Is that a sufficient salary? :rolleyes:

You'al are losing me on this one. I wanted to quote each of you, but I don't know how.

From what I saw Sunday castro is a better third baseman than shortstop. He was just enough out of position several times, but he was very quick on one particular hot play. Larkin came in as a pinch hitter in the seventh and stayed while proceeding to rock.

WHO WOULDN'T PLAY BALL FOR 3.5 MILLION IF THEY COULD. :blink:

:unsure: Is that a sufficient salary? :rolleyes:

Mat,

We're not saying Barry is lacking in his abilities. Not by a long shot. I think Larkin' should make next season his farewell tour. I mean c'mon...he's a throwback to the days of even the Big Red Machine, where the team you break in with is the team you step out with! Name any other player today in THAT position. (Okay...other than Sammy Sosa! :D )

I hope they don't push Larkin out, but it is about time to think about a replacement since he doesn't play everyday.

They've been doing this the past 3-4 years, while Larkin was injuried for the majority of the season and no one rose to the occassion.. no one was good enough to play that position... including Castro.

Get rid of Larson. Have Castro at third, Freel in RF and Hummel come off the bench.

Put Castro at 3rd and keep Pena in right. Use Freel as the utility player subing for all positions. Drop Hummel.

I think you put Freel at 3rd, keep Pena in right, and put Castro at SS when Larkin retires.

ORRR.. drop Jimenez, put Castro at 2nd, keep Larson at 3rd, and put Pena in right. When Larkin retires, put Castro at SS, Freel at 2B, and Larson at 3rd.

SO many damned options.... :lol::lol:

B)

Sorry I'm late ....................

Just read about Larkin not retiring. He should. I'm solidly with Sky and Billy on this one. #1 he got a 1 year deal. ( that he had to fight for ) #2 his skills ( while still in the upper echelons ) are diminishing. #3 Daugherty doesn't think he should hang it up, so that right there tells you he should.

If he plays in 100 games this year, he'll be the first modern era ss to do so ( Daughertys' column). He's going to the All Star game ala Ripken in his last year. Hope he hits a homer there like Ripken did as well. He'd be going out on top of his game and on his terms. .........." Always leave 'em wantin more " ...... & " quit while you're ahead " are 2 cliches that come to mind that fit this situation to a T.

I'd rather see him walk off waving to the crowd than being helped into the trainers facilities for x rays.

Mat,

We're not saying Barry is lacking in his abilities. Not by a long shot. I think Larkin' should make next season his farewell tour. I mean c'mon...he's a throwback to the days of even the Big Red Machine, where the team you break in with is the team you step out with! Name any other player today in THAT position. (Okay...other than Sammy Sosa! :D )

I can definitely understand going out with some skills left in the tank. But if you can still play AND the reds will pay you a reasonable salary then I say play on. What else is Barry going to do? :huh:

I doubt money is motivating him much. :blink:

He was the best SS in Sunday's game.

But if you can still play AND the reds will pay you a reasonable salary then I say play on. What else is Barry going to do? :huh:

Mr. Larkin already has a job in the front office that will take effect at the end of the season.

He still has plenty to do. It'll be for the Reds ...... and I'm sure he'll be well compensated.

I'd still rather see him sitting in his office surrounded by Reds memorabilia from his career than pulling a hammy trying to get to third.

i honestly would like to see him keep playing until we get a really good SS to replace him, and we havent found it yet. Hes still the man. He changed his swing due to his age and is batting over .300 with it, before he changed it he was batting like .212. He is still one of the best defensive short stops in the league. He could easily play next season as well, and i am a huge larkin fan and would enjoy to see him keep playing, just cuz hes not michael jordan, he didnt leave and come back.

Unfortunately i doubt he gets a HR in the allstar game cuz he isnt starting like ripken did...he'll only get 1-2 AB's.

But if you can still play AND the reds will pay you a reasonable salary then I say play on.  What else is Barry going to do? :huh:

Mr. Larkin already has a job in the front office that will take effect at the end of the season.

He still has plenty to do. It'll be for the Reds ...... and I'm sure he'll be well compensated.

I'd still rather see him sitting in his office surrounded by Reds memorabilia from his career than pulling a hammy trying to get to third.

I don't know Boz... I still think he's the better player than the one's underneath him supposedly to replace him.

Castro is the best bet, but with the disappointment in Larson so far defensively, and probability that Jimenez will be gone soon, Castro may be used for 3rd or 2nd instead.

Jditty is right. It's one thing if a better player is groomed and ready to replace Larkin, but no one has taken the task.

larson is horrible, trade him already for a minor league prospect. We need to dumb alot of ppl for prospects, seems we have a ton of pitching prospects but hardly any hitting. Mb im wrong.

oh and btw, i wish we'd resign E.D.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 E.D. #44, best CF we ever had :(

(no im not being serious about resigning him)

I don't know Boz... I still think he's the better player than the one's underneath him supposedly to replace him. 

Castro is the best bet, but with the disappointment in Larson so far defensively, and probability that Jimenez will be gone soon, Castro may be used for 3rd or 2nd instead.

Jditty is right.  It's one thing if a better player is groomed and ready to replace Larkin, but no one has taken the task.

No doubt in my mind .... or yours ... or Jdittys' that Larkin is the best ss on the team. However, it's not his fault that the team doesn't have a groomed back up in place. That's 2 parts mismanagement and 1 part bad luck.

That does not change the fact that Larkin has had injuries in the past and ( take it from me ) that the older he gets the more likely he is to be injured again and that it'll take him longer to get over them. I just don't want to see that happen to him. I think Holyfield is one of the best fighters ever, but I have to say that it was painful to watch his last couple of fights.

Larkin has won silver sluggers, 1st shortstop to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases in the same season, was an almost unanimous pick by managers when asked who they would want to build a team around, and he's done it with class and grace his entire career.

The homer at the All Star game is wishful thinking on my part and I know it. The flip side of that is that an injury is a lot more likely if he plays another year. BUT ... hey its his call. He knows what shape he's in better than I do. Like I said before tho, I'd like to see him walk off to a standing ovation rather going out on the DL.

You're certainly right that injuries are a risk and the older a player, the higher the risk. However -- you knew that was coming didn't you? -- lets reflect on this for a second though...

Larkin has played more games from '02-04 than Kearns and only 17 games less than LaRue.

He makes less money than Griffey, Casey, Graves, Wilson, Lidle, LaRue, White, Jimenez, and -- get this -- Castro.

Larkin has a better fielding percentage than any other player that's played SS this season for the Reds and at one point was the only SS in MLB to not commit an error.

What do you lose on the field with Larkin with the risk of injury? His base salary of only $700,000 (not including incentives) and 6th most plate appearances on the team really make it hard for me to sell Larkin coming back.

Listen, I think Larkin is a hard takeout while turning a DP away from ending his career... and while it would be nice that he takes the horse during sunset off the Reds stage, I still think he has much to contribute on this team and should be given the chance to end his career on his terms.

Jditty - You remind me of those that if they don't see instant results, you fly by the handle and demand change. You need to learn patience young man.. look at Sammy Sosa's first four seasons and look at his fielding as well. I'm sure the Rangers and White Sox wish they'd have a little patience at the time.

Listen, I think Larkin is a hard takeout while turning a DP away from ending his career... and while it would be nice that he takes the horse during sunset off the Reds stage, I still think he has much to contribute on this team and should be given the chance to end his career on his terms.

Jditty - You remind me of those that if they don't see instant results, you fly by the handle and demand change. You need to learn patience young man.. look at Sammy Sosa's first four seasons and look at his fielding as well. I'm sure the Rangers and White Sox wish they'd have a little patience at the time.

B) Man its good to be home !!!!

Won't disagree with a thing you said. That's why I added the part about it being his call. My point of view was more from the as you put it " riding off into the sunset " scenario as opposed to the Stephen King ending with body parts all over the place and the crowd spattered with blood. With so many examples of athletes staying on too long, it's always good to see someone go out on top and none would be more deserving than Larkin.

As to Sosa's first four years ....... You have to remember that English is his second language and that it took that long for someone to explain the word " Steroids " to him. B)

ill agree that i have no patience especially lately with the reds. I am so used to them being good and at least challenging for the division year in year out. Not until the past 2-3 years has it been bad. Baseball to me has not been the same since the strike, last year's playoffs got me excited and this season is "ok", but i am so anxious for the reds to get back to the late 80's early 90's days that it makes me sick. Baseball to me is only good when my team is good, its not like football...ill always like the reds, but ill pay attention a ton more if they are winning...as liek most fans...

Jditty - You remind me of those that if they don't see instant results, you fly by the handle and demand change.  You need to learn patience young man.. look at Sammy Sosa's first four seasons and look at his fielding as well.  I'm sure the Rangers and White Sox wish they'd have a little patience at the time.

B) Man its good to be home !!!!

Won't disagree with a thing you said. That's why I added the part about it being his call. My point of view was more from the as you put it " riding off into the sunset " scenario as opposed to the Stephen King ending with body parts all over the place and the crowd spattered with blood. With so many examples of athletes staying on too long, it's always good to see someone go out on top and none would be more deserving than Larkin.

As to Sosa's first four years ....... You have to remember that English is his second language and that it took that long for someone to explain the word " Steroids " to him. B)

OK, now you're just being negative... :lol::lol::lol:

ill agree that i have no patience especially lately with the reds. I am so used to them being good and at least challenging for the division year in year out. Not until the past 2-3 years has it been bad. Baseball to me has not been the same since the strike, last year's playoffs got me excited and this season is "ok", but i am so anxious for the reds to get back to the late 80's early 90's days that it makes me sick. Baseball to me is only good when my team is good, its not like football...ill always like the reds, but ill pay attention a ton more if they are winning...as liek most fans...

Point taken... B)

We just need to give the Reds some time and they may show us that they are not out yet.

Maybe when we get Casey back we'll get some offense going.

Pitching has been looking ok we just need to get some offense going.

ill agree that i have no patience especially lately with the reds.  I am so used to them being good and at least challenging for the division year in year out.  Not until the past 2-3 years has it been bad.  Baseball to me has not been the same since the strike, last year's playoffs got me excited and this season is "ok", but i am so anxious for the reds to get back to the late 80's early 90's days that it makes me sick.  Baseball to me is only good when my team is good, its not like football...ill always like the reds, but ill pay attention a ton more if they are winning...as liek most fans...

We just need to give the Reds some time and they may show us that they are not out yet.

Maybe when we get Casey back we'll get some offense going.

Pitching has been looking ok we just need to get some offense going.

Absolutely agree... we're getting some serious Reds chatter today.. good stuff.

i wouldnt say MVP, but i would say great year. Hopefully when kearns comes back he will have his head out of his ass and perform like he should and compliment casey, larkin, griffey, and dunn and make a great middle of the lineup. Mb that way we can ease some pressure off our suspect pitching staff.