Chase to IR?!

jonahdsage

Reedy just twittered that the Shaun Smith signing is official and that they placed chase coffman on injured reserve. What the crap?! Is this just clearing space on the 53 man roster or did something happen? What a bummer.

Per PFT, it's due to bone spurs in his left ankle, but I'm sure that's just an excuse to clear space, as you said. If Coffman were ready to play and bone spurs were the only thing holding him back, he would've had them taken care of long ago.

Actually the reports were that Coffman never fully recovered from his foot injury and came back too early and it lingered.

This would actually be a reasonable explanation for them not playing him all season.

But never fear, Dan Coates is here!

Yeah, now that I can understand. It would make sense too if he's struggling with blocking. my understanding of NFL blocking (which admittedly is limited) mixed with the bengals' zone blocking schemes would lead me to believe that leverage and "push" are quite important -- if you have a jacked up foot, well, that makes those things difficult.

I was thinking about this after the Utecht release where he was debating signing with another team. If someone is IR'ed and then cut can they be signed by the same team that cut them? For instance, were Utecht back and ready to play or, more appealing, were Chris Henry's arm to be fine in the post season, could we resign them before the end of the regular season?

Actually the reports were that Coffman never fully recovered from his foot injury and came back too early and it lingered.

This would actually be a reasonable explanation for them not playing him all season.

Yeah, now that I can understand. It would make sense too if he's struggling with blocking. my understanding of NFL blocking (which admittedly is limited) mixed with the bengals' zone blocking schemes would lead me to believe that leverage and "push" are quite important -- if you have a jacked up foot, well, that makes those things difficult.

I was thinking about this after the Utecht release where he was debating signing with another team. If someone is IR'ed and then cut can they be signed by the same team that cut them? For instance, were Utecht back and ready to play or, more appealing, were Chris Henry's arm to be fine in the post season, could we resign them before the end of the regular season?

I'm no expert on those rules, so I am not sure about Henry's eligibility for the post season. Of course they could sign Utecht. Lapham actually mentioned Coffman's lingering foot injury more than once on the radio, and is where I got that from. He said that Coffman just wasn't moving around like he did in college, and the bone spurs would be a good reason why. Why it took so long to do this or figure out he had spurs, no idea.

I'm no expert on those rules, so I am not sure about Henry's eligibility for the post season. Of course they could sign Utecht. Lapham actually mentioned Coffman's lingering foot injury more than once on the radio, and is where I got that from. He said that Coffman just wasn't moving around like he did in college, and the bone spurs would be a good reason why. Why it took so long to do this or figure out he had spurs, no idea.

Re: the rule, once a player gets placed on IR, they are out for both the regular and post-season. So no Henry. I'm also pretty sure that if a player is placed on IR and later released, he can't be signed back by the same team during the same season, so the Bengals can't resign Utecht.

As for Crash Dummy, I suspect that his bone spurs are just a convenient excuse to stash him on IR and avoid the chance of someone like Fui by trying to get him through waivers to the practice squad. If Chase's injury was at all serious, I have to think he would have gotten surgery and been sidelined much earlier.

I thought this was an interesting comment from Hobson today after they put Coffman on IR:

Coffman is one of the big mysteries because in talking to some players they think he’s a pretty effective tight end from what they see in practice.

Hopefully this is the case. I still think he'll be a good player for us and can give us a threat we haven't had. I mean, comeon, ther's no doubt the guy can catch the ball and make plays in the passing game.

As a sidenote, I am kind of looking forward to see what this team is like next year if we are able to keep things intact, and then add guys like Andre Smith, Chris Henry, and Chase Coffman back to the mix on offense. Plus, an expanded role for Bernard Scott who will have a years experience. Kyle Cook a year of experience (and remmember, this O-Line started the year with only one guy returning in the same position.)

Then on defense if Antwan Odom and Roy Williams come back. A year of experience for guys like Michael Johnson, Maualuga, Morgan Trent...

We don't need to make any big changes. I would love to get a big-time WR in the draft since Chad and L Coles are getting older, Caldwell and Henry are more complementary players, and the passing game has not been too great. But other than that, this team should be in good shape.

I would hope by next TC he'll have put his hand up as the starting TE. If not, hope Reggie can come back after his latest injury or draft/FA a blocking TE to allow Coffman to just be the receiving threat. Shame about him missing his first yr but he's hardly the first rookie to do that, especially as a 3rd rnder.

No way he came back too early. He didn't practice until training camp. They kept him out of minicamps. For whatever reason that foot never completely healer.

I'd say at this point he'll certainly need some sort of surgical intervention. Any word on that? It's been nearly a year since he broke it. It's safe to say strength conditioning and exercises won't fix it.

No way he came back too early. He didn't practice until training camp. They kept him out of minicamps. For whatever reason that foot never completely healer.

I'd say at this point he'll certainly need some sort of surgical intervention. Any word on that? It's been nearly a year since he broke it. It's safe to say strength conditioning and exercises won't fix it.

Don't want to hijack the thread I started but I really hope we resign Chris Henry. Our offense could be moderately frightening next year if we resign Chris, keep the O-line intact (bobbie williams gone?) with the addition of the Pancake Man (A.Smith) and add chase. Defensively -- getting Odom back will be huge. Roy W. was signed to a 1 year deal and if he's had issues with his broken arm 3 years in a row it may just be time to hang up the cleats (as much as I hate to say it). I am really excited, though, about how the defense has maintained it's hard hitting attitude even after he's gone. I don't see people getting rocked like I did when he was in, though.

I figured we wouldn't be able to do the IR->cut-> resign dance. That woulda been sweet though.

If Chris is willing to sign for something like TJ's first contract then I'd be okay with seeing him stay around but if he's looking for 30-40 million dollars that maybe another team will pay then cya...Also reading on Dotcom today that chases ankle problem was from his original injury get better chase gonna need you in 2010!

Don't want to hijack the thread I started but I really hope we resign Chris Henry. Our offense could be moderately frightening next year if we resign Chris, keep the O-line intact (bobbie williams gone?) with the addition of the Pancake Man (A.Smith) and add chase. Defensively -- getting Odom back will be huge. Roy W. was signed to a 1 year deal and if he's had issues with his broken arm 3 years in a row it may just be time to hang up the cleats (as much as I hate to say it). I am really excited, though, about how the defense has maintained it's hard hitting attitude even after he's gone. I don't see people getting rocked like I did when he was in, though.

I figured we wouldn't be able to do the IR->cut-> resign dance. That woulda been sweet though.

Well, this is only the second year Roy's had trouble with that arm. I'd like see him back next year. If he's still having trouble with it then, then it's definitely time to hang it up.

Marvin said he wanted Roy back next season. But I'd still like to see them invest a draft pick on a game changing safety. While we're getting good value out of Ndukwe and Crocker, the secondary is good because ofthe corners. If they Bengals had a top shelf safety, they'd be scary good.

Eric Berry would look nice but I'm sure he'll be long gone before the Bengals have a chance to grab him

Marvin said he wanted Roy back next season. But I'd still like to see them invest a draft pick on a game changing safety. While we're getting good value out of Ndukwe and Crocker, the secondary is good because ofthe corners. If they Bengals had a top shelf safety, they'd be scary good.

Eric Berry would look nice but I'm sure he'll be long gone before the Bengals have a chance to grab him

Him or possibly Taylor Mays. But I don't see either of them falling to 32.

Plenty of good safeties to be had. Berry and Mays are the standouts but after Mays had an iffy yr, he may fall a bit. Even then, a couple of nice safeties to be had who would make a difference almost immediately.

As far as the draft goes, this is maybe the deepest Safety class in over a decade...if not ever. I believe that there will be 12-15 Safeties that will start or see significan playing time next year out of the Class of '10. Outside of the obvious two, my favorites are Earl Thomas from Texas, Rashad Jones from Georgia and Major Wright from Florida. Earl Thomas is an Ed Reed clone, as a reshirt Soph. I think he'll be a better pro than Berry, although he's a stud in his own right. Mays could be this year's Rey, as a player thought to be a Top-10 pick as a Junior, who drops in the draft due to a lackluster Senior season. After looking at it, it's a pretty deep UFA class, too, and some of these guys will go for moderate contracts:

OJ Atogwe, STL

Nick Collins, GB

Antoine Bethea, IND

Will Allen, TB

Atari Bigby, GB

Tyvon Branch, OAK

Ryan Clark, PIT

Roman Harper, NO

Sean Jones, PHI

Dawan Landry, BAL

Daniel Manning, CHI

We should easily be able to add some more depth, but I'd rather draft someone to groom behind Crocker, and it wouldn't be so bad to add another SS type, too.

Plenty of good safeties to be had. Berry and Mays are the standouts but after Mays had an iffy yr, he may fall a bit. Even then, a couple of nice safeties to be had who would make a difference almost immediately.

As far as the draft goes, this is maybe the deepest Safety class in over a decade...if not ever. I believe that there will be 12-15 Safeties that will start or see significan playing time next year out of the Class of '10. Outside of the obvious two, my favorites are Earl Thomas from Texas, Rashad Jones from Georgia and Major Wright from Florida. Earl Thomas is an Ed Reed clone, as a reshirt Soph. I think he'll be a better pro than Berry, although he's a stud in his own right. Mays could be this year's Rey, as a player thought to be a Top-10 pick as a Junior, who drops in the draft due to a lackluster Senior season. After looking at it, it's a pretty deep UFA class, too, and some of these guys will go for moderate contracts:

OJ Atogwe, STL

Nick Collins, GB

Antoine Bethea, IND

Will Allen, TB

Atari Bigby, GB

Tyvon Branch, OAK

Ryan Clark, PIT

Roman Harper, NO

Sean Jones, PHI

Dawan Landry, BAL

Daniel Manning, CHI

We should easily be able to add some more depth, but I'd rather draft someone to groom behind Crocker, and it wouldn't be so bad to add another SS type, too.

Mays will have ridiculous measurables at the combine. I predict the Raiders take him, and he surely won't drop past the Redskins, who've been searching for their next Sean Taylor.

i would not mind having Roy back. Another FA like Harper, or Manning, would also be good.

The LA Times did an article on Mays just a few days ago that looked back at his decision to return to school last season. Predictably, Mays said he didn't regret his choice at all and didn't worry a bit if his draft status had fallen. However, the article made it clear Mays draft status has fallen, perhaps dramatically, and openly speculated about how he could fall into the latter half of the 1st round. That speculation was largely based upon conversations with an unnamed NFL scout who traditionally goes into far greater detail in articles traitionally published on New Years Eve, prior to the bowl games, when the Times evaluates all of the potential pros from Los Angeles based teams.

So if you're interested in Mays...watch for those articles. The anonymous NFL scouts who are quoted often disagree strongly about a prospects chances for success and the points made make for interesting reading.

Yeah, he's been dinged most of the year and may not have played in a few games were it not for his role as a deep centerfielder in USC's defense. And that's his biggest problem....as he's rarely in a position to make big plays due to the manner he's used. Pete Carrol admits openly how the way he uses Mays hurts his draft stock some, but he thinks Mays physical gifts will be enough to turn heads at Indy. In fact, Pete claimed once he had only seen three or four players with better bodies in the entire time he had spent coaching in the NFL.

Used correctly Mays best football should be ahead of him.