Benson to start Sunday; Mickens signed to PS

cHaD711Johnson

Monday update: Benson starts vs. Lions; Sellout streak in jeopardy

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Nov 30, 2009

A

A

Updated: 2:45 p.m.

Head coach Marvin Lewis left no doubt Monday that Cedric Benson is going to be his starting running back against the Lions. But he admitted that he is trying to decide if he’s going to keep all four running backs active.

“There’s a chance of it,” Lewis said. “I’ll make that decision later in the week, if not Sunday. I just met with the coaches and let them know my plans and my thoughts for this week right now and then we’ll go through the week, re-evaluate it tomorrow and then tweak it possibly on Friday morning again and go forward.”

As Benson has sat down with a sore hip muscle the last two games, rookie running back Bernard Scott rushed for 119 yards in the loss in Oakland and Larry Johnson went for 107 yards in Sunday’s 16-7 win over the Browns at Paul Brown Stadium while Scott added 87 more on 18 carries. Also in the mix is third-down back Brian Leonard’s ability to pass protect as well as his presence on three special teams and Scott’s status as the No. 1 kick returner.

But Lewis’ decision could, for at least this week, come down to health again. After Scott limped off the field with a turf toe during the first series of Sunday’s second half, he came back to only return one kick and carry twice more. Lewis indicated there is some uncertainty if Scott is going to be available when they get back on the practice field Wednesday.

SELLOUT STATUS: The Bengals say more than 6,000 tickets remain for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Lions at Paul Brown Stadium and based on Monday morning's response to the division sweep completed against the Browns they aren't optimistic about extending the sellout streak to 51 and having the game televised on Fox 19 in Cincinnati.

But ticket manager Andrew Brown remains "hopeful," because the Bengals had the same amount of tickets left on Monday before the Oct. 18 sellout against the Texans. But Brown said the Bengals' win in Baltimore the Sunday before seemed to give the Bengals a bigger lift at the box office than Sunday's win over Cleveland.

Also Monday, former University of Cincinnati cornerback Mike Mickens was in the Bengals locker room with indications he was on a workout for the practice squad.

I'd love to see Mickens get a shot I think he can be developed into a good nickel corner at some point. I think Leonard is inactive Sunday also.

From the dot-com.

MICKENS SIGNS: The Bengals signed rookie cornerback Mike Mickens to the practice squad Monday. The 6-1, 190-pound Mickens is a local prodcuct from the University of Cincinnati out of Wayne High School in Dayton, Ohio. He was a seventh-round selection by Dallas back in April and was with the Cowboys in preseason before being waived Sept. 6. He was on the Dallas practice squad until Nov. 3, when he was signed to Tampa Bay's 53-player roster. He was inactive for the Bucs for three games and was waived on Nov. 25.

In order to make room on the practice squad for Mickens, they released cornerback Antonio Smith a week after signing him.

Many thought we should have drafted Mickens, so it's hard to see this as anything negative...

I was one of them. Hopefully he develops into a beast. Trent has been good so far, but some times he worries me.

Seems like something bends, breaks, or tweeks on Bernard Scott's body about every 20 touches of the ball.

He def could use a full off-season in the conditioning and strengthening program to get his body ready for what the NFL dishes out.

Monday update: Benson starts vs. Lions; Sellout streak in jeopardy

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Nov 30, 2009

A

A

Updated: 2:45 p.m.

Head coach Marvin Lewis left no doubt Monday that Cedric Benson is going to be his starting running back against the Lions. But he admitted that he is trying to decide if hes going to keep all four running backs active.

Theres a chance of it, Lewis said. Ill make that decision later in the week, if not Sunday. I just met with the coaches and let them know my plans and my thoughts for this week right now and then well go through the week, re-evaluate it tomorrow and then tweak it possibly on Friday morning again and go forward.

As Benson has sat down with a sore hip muscle the last two games, rookie running back Bernard Scott rushed for 119 yards in the loss in Oakland and Larry Johnson went for 107 yards in Sundays 16-7 win over the Browns at Paul Brown Stadium while Scott added 87 more on 18 carries. Also in the mix is third-down back Brian Leonards ability to pass protect as well as his presence on three special teams and Scotts status as the No. 1 kick returner.

But Lewis decision could, for at least this week, come down to health again. After Scott limped off the field with a turf toe during the first series of Sundays second half, he came back to only return one kick and carry twice more. Lewis indicated there is some uncertainty if Scott is going to be available when they get back on the practice field Wednesday.

SELLOUT STATUS: The Bengals say more than 6,000 tickets remain for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Lions at Paul Brown Stadium and based on Monday morning's response to the division sweep completed against the Browns they aren't optimistic about extending the sellout streak to 51 and having the game televised on Fox 19 in Cincinnati.

But ticket manager Andrew Brown remains "hopeful," because the Bengals had the same amount of tickets left on Monday before the Oct. 18 sellout against the Texans. But Brown said the Bengals' win in Baltimore the Sunday before seemed to give the Bengals a bigger lift at the box office than Sunday's win over Cleveland.

Also Monday, former University of Cincinnati cornerback Mike Mickens was in the Bengals locker room with indications he was on a workout for the practice squad.

Dime corner as of right now :P Trent has been playing great outside of biting on a single pump fake.

I''d love to see Mickens get a shot I think he can be developed into a good nickel corner at some point. I think Leonard is inactive Sunday also.

I think this pro-active statement that Benson is back and starting is done to clear up just who they will be counting on down the stretch.

Regarding Bernard and his dings and aches, he is 25, just a year younger than Benson. He can put on 10 pounds and get a bit more durable.

Once Purify gets his sea legs against NFL DB's and in synch with Carson, I think this guy will impose his will on folks.

Re: Purify and catching passes...it will help if he isn't blatantly interfered with in the future. Furrey completely interfered with him Purify in the end zone Sunday. Not sure what the officials were looking at.