Henry to IR; Kooistra resigned

BlainThePain

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Monday-update-Henry-to-IR-Kooistra-back/d6b7a0d7-a283-442d-b7f1-50e37bf93e57

Monday update: Henry to IR; Kooistra back

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Nov 9, 2009

Wide receiver Chris Henry underwent season-ending surgery for his fractured left forearm Monday morning and when the Bengals put him on injured reserve they replaced him on the roster with guard-tackle Scott Kooistra

Left guard Evan Mathis said his ankle is on a week-to-week basis after he got hit in a pileup in Sunday's 17-7 win over the Ravens.

"It could have been a lot worse," said Mathis, who actually hurt the ankle in the previous drive before he came out when someone fell on it a second time.

Because of the lack of guards and with the possibility Mathis going to miss more than one game, Kooistra's departure lasted six days. Kooistra, a seven-year veteran who has played his entire career with the Bengals, was cut last week when they added fullback Fui Vakapuna.

The roster is now at the full 53, but it leaves them with just five receivers. Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated at his Monday news conference that Jerome Simpson is going to get a shot to fill Henry's fourth receiver role. He also said there was a possibilty they would promote Maurice Purify from the practice squad.

Simpson, a second-rounder from Coastal Carolina in 2008, has struggled with the transition from a small school and has yet to be active this season.

SLANTS AND SCREENS: Even though Lewis gave the players Monday off, left tackle Andrew Whitworth suggested an informal offensive line meeting at about noon to watch film and get a head start on the Steelers. Almost everybody checked in, he said. Whitworth is the driving force behind the Wednesday meetings, where the line meets to watch film and talk football after everyone else is gone for the day. Whitworth's wife, Melissa, comes down to the stadium while the team is out at practice to drop off food for the get-together. "We go in there for about an hour, hour and a half to watch film."

Lewis cringed a bit when told running back Cedric Benson became the first player since the Steelers' Jerome Bettis in 1997 to have two 100-yard rushing games against the Ravens in the same season. That, of course, is when Lewis was Baltimore's defensive coordinator...

"The fact that Ced has been able to get that accomplishment speaks to the guys up front enabled us to win the game," Lewis said. "Enabled us to have some passing lanes. Ced's done a great job. He's taken a pounding in doing that. He's taken some licks and given some licks out. That goes without saying."

He said he's not concerned about Benson's current pace that would give him 396 carries for the season, but he also said with Bernard Scott and and Brian Leonard getting over injuries now he did expect to give them some more carries. "He won't be the sole ball carrier," Lewis said. Yet he added the caveat if that's what it takes to win...

Sad to see Henry down for the year, not that he had many catches and yards, but DBs had to respect him out there. I hope Simpson is ready, and lets hope he can be the deep threat now that they need.

Nice to see some leaders in the locker room, its nice to see everyone wanting to be on the same page, great job Whit!

At 7pm Marvin said that more roster moves will likely be made this week. In talking about the WR situation he said that "we have guys who haven't played too much" and that "somebody's going to get an opportunity this week."

I'd say that means Purify is going to be added to the mix. If that's the case, does Simpson go? How would they make room for Simpson?

Fui Vakapuna is not a candidate to be waived because the Bengals have to keep him on the 53 man roster for a minimum of three weeks per the CBA

Good luck to Slim. That injury looked painful as hell.

Kooistra? <_< I guess if its just a temporary move but still... <_<

I hope they give Simpson a chance b/c whats the worse that can happen? He's unproductive? Then we just promote Purify...give the kid a chance, otherwise cut him loose and give him a chance elsewhere.

Whit is an amazing leader! :bengal:

At 7pm Marvin said that more roster moves will likely be made this week. In talking about the WR situation he said that "we have guys who haven't played too much" and that "somebody's going to get an opportunity this week."

I'd say that means Purify is going to be added to the mix. If that's the case, does Simpson go? How would they make room for Simpson?

Fui Vakapuna is not a candidate to be waived because the Bengals have to keep him on the 53 man roster for a minimum of three weeks per the CBA

Im guessing he means within the team???? I dont see them making a move outside of the team?

Im guessing he means within the team???? I dont see them making a move outside of the team?

I wouldn't call it a move if it's w/i the team. My guess is they're trying to figure out what to do to work Purify onto this roster. They can't risk another team plucking him off the PS

Really like the attitude they are taking about getting a headstart on the Steelers, Whitworth is a great leader, putting in that extra time could be the difference in this game I wonder if any of the other units feel the same way...I thought a broken arm would take 4-5 weeks to heal and he would be back, so they know they have someone who can take his place...