Coffman Time

blueridge

How do you know Coffman's blocking is up to par? I mean, it's obvious that Coats should be nowhere higher than third string on any team's depth chart in this league but yet, he's getting the nod. The minute the coaches think Chase a) won't get Carson killed and b ) doesn't have a big flashing sign on him telling the D that we're throwing this f**king ball right now no matter what, he plays.

Two things I know: Coffman needs to be much farther along than Hard Knocks showed him to be if he hopes to get on the field and 2) He would have made that catch that Coats missed in the end zone last week.

It's a frustrating mix where I feel like Chase is going to be that great ball hogging TE we've been missing, and seems to have great size, but treats blocking as if it's the same thing as getting in someone's way. I'll be real excited, though, when he moves up from the inactive list.

I also thought it was telling when they asked marvin what needs to happen for Jerome Simpson to make the active roster and he said "the NFL to allow 46 or 47 man rosters." It's a really great problem that we have with depth right now -- too many talented players. WR is a different story than TE, obviously, but I think Coats is performing well enough to where it's not an emergency to get Chase in there unprepared.

Coats is producing numbers very similar to last season TE production.

If his stats are extended out for the season based on the first two weeks he goes for 24-336-0 while Foschi adds 16-120-0.

Last season Kelly went for 31-207-0, while Utecht added 16-123-0, Coats had 2-19-0 and Lawrie had 2-11-0.

These numbers are not great, but they will allow the Bengals to get the historical production from the TE spot. Maybe Coffman will come in later in the year and help make the TE spot more explosive maybe not. Right now, at least Coats is able to block most of the defenders he is responsible.

Coats' only problem has been the 2 fumbles, the GB fumble was punched out from behind him while he was fighting for a long first down. There is no way to protect the ball against a punch from behind and he was showing great effort in trying to get to the marker. Hopefully he will continue to produce a couple of big catches a game, while not fumbling the ball anymore. This is all you can ask from your 3rd string TE, that has been thrust into a starters roll.

I'm OK with Coats and Foschi, if the coaches feel Coffman is not reliable in the blocking game right now.

Coats' only problem has been the 2 fumbles, the GB fumble was punched out from behind him while he was fighting for a long first down. There is no way to protect the ball against a punch from behind and he was showing great effort in trying to get to the marker. Hopefully he will continue to produce a couple of big catches a game, while not fumbling the ball anymore. This is all you can ask from your 3rd string TE, that has been thrust into a starters roll.

Don't forget about that dropped TD. And by dropped I mean he didn't try and catch it.

Don't forget about that dropped TD. And by dropped I mean he didn't try and catch it.

Cant name specific games, but I know Kelly has dropped alot of easy catches since becoming a starter for the Bengals. You cant expect pro-bowl level talent from a third string TE. Remember he was listed below two other average at best TE's to start camp.

Cant name specific games, but I know Kelly has dropped alot of easy catches since becoming a starter for the Bengals. You cant expect pro-bowl level talent from a third string TE. Remember he was listed below two other average at best TE's to start camp.

Agreed. I'm just saying when a ball is floating to you open in the end zone and all you need to do is put your hands about 3 inches higher than your head . . . you have to make that catch. I don't expect Coats to be a pro bowl caliber TE, but if I can honestly say "Man, I'd make that catch," then he better, too.

Agreed. I'm just saying when a ball is floating to you open in the end zone and all you need to do is put your hands about 3 inches higher than your head . . . you have to make that catch. I don't expect Coats to be a pro bowl caliber TE, but if I can honestly say "Man, I'd make that catch," then he better, too.

Agreed. I just dnt see any reason to bring in Coffman if the coaches dont think he can handle the blocking side of it yet. Coats is functional, and that is all I was hoping for after Kelley and Utecth both were lost for the season.