Griffey on Letterman

Kirkendall

NEW YORK - Ken Griffey Jr. earned the $877 he was paid to read the Top 10 List on Tuesday's Late Night with David Letterman.

"It was tough to get through some of them. I kept cracking up," Griffey said.

The $877 is Actor's Guild scale - a small fraction of what he makes per at bat. The category was "Thoughts That Went Through Ken Griffey Jr.'s Mind As He Hit His 500th Home Run."

The segment was filmed in the dugout at Shea Stadium, which isn't the most conducive place to shoot. In the background was the normal dugout chatter, mixed in with the sound of planes flying overhead.

Griffey also met with the family of New York firefighter Kenny Marino, who died in the Sept. 11 attacks.

Griffey, who has befriended the Marinos, gave widow Katrina the wristband he wore when he hit 500.

TOP TEN

10. "500 home runs! That entitles me to one free pizza at any participating Pizza Hut."

9. "I owe it all to Dr. Phil."

8. "This is the time to debut my pantsless home-run trot."

7. "Hey, maybe this'll help me land an invitation to Commissioner Selig's Fourth of July party."

6. "I'm 5 percent of the way to 10,000 home runs!"

5. "Now I've gotta go on eBay to buy the ball back."

4. "What a coincidence - today's also the 500th time I took a leak in Sean Casey's locker."

3. "Maybe with this I'll be named Cincinnati Reds employee of the week."

2. "C'mon, hurry up! I wanna make the 7:20 showing of Dodgeball."

1. "Anyone dumps Gatorade on me, I'm gonna pound 'em with a fungo bat."