Geoff Hobson Critical of Bengals?

Ickey44

I never said it was a slam, but it's very different from the normal "if you take away this play(s), then the Bengals played great" BS that Hobson always writes. He's always trying to paint a picture of a great organization in Cincinnati when one doesn't exist.

He didn't do that in this article.

He's right though. I know he's not the one who drops passes, holds on certain plays etc but this is Brat's offense and the turd is dry. Ultimately it is his fault that those passes aren't caught and sloppy penalties, especially on what would otherwise be vital conversions. The mindset and attitude is on him. It's not like it just one reciever who's dropped passes these last few yrs or just one lineman who constantly gets flagged.

Looks at what Zimmer has done. Not just the players brought in via FA or the draft but the attitude is a 180 from a couple of seasons ago. Hard, hungry and focused, if still a little rough around the edges.

Now, finally, we have a defense that might not basically roll over and pout it all on Carson's shoulders. If the O can't get things done this yr, then well, I guess he gets to continue sucking and get paid for it until his contract runs out.

I remember saying a few years back that if the Bengals could simply field a top 15 defense we could easily be looking at the playoffs year in and out with the offense production we were getting. Now here we are today with a defense that could actually produce top 10 results and I would think at least top 15 and our offense is sputtering.

I think much of that, if not all, falls on the deterioration of the o-line and their failure to address it during the draft. I know they went out and got Andre Smith this year in the first, but even Steinbach was allowed to walk without much to fill those shoes. If the o-line can gel, things will get better, but they can't sit back and wait for that to happen. They need to continue being active on both lines...

I remember saying a few years back that if the Bengals could simply field a top 15 defense we could easily be looking at the playoffs year in and out with the offense production we were getting. Now here we are today with a defense that could actually produce top 10 results and I would think at least top 15 and our offense is sputtering.

I think much of that, if not all, falls on the deterioration of the o-line and their failure to address it during the draft. I know they went out and got Andre Smith this year in the first, but even Steinbach was allowed to walk without much to fill those shoes. If the o-line can gel, things will get better, but they can't sit back and wait for that to happen. They need to continue being active on both lines...

Makes too much sense. Must be Brat's playcalling. Yeah, that's it. It's all his fault.

That said, I don't know that Brat is the solution any longer, his offense is stale and predictable. But if executed and Palmer is making the right audibles, they would fare better than they did Sunday.

Regardless, yes our O-line is bad. 5 yrs of neglect (nevermind letting good linemen you already have leave only to tag Andrews, are f**king kidding me?) will do that for an O-line. And Brat playbook remains unchanged. That loss was down to piss poor execution by the players on offense.

Long term though, Draft anf A the hell out of both lines, especially the O-line and do not renew Brat's contract, f**k what big chin Carson think about it.

• 2 months later...