Where are they now?

gregstephens

This is from Akili Smith's Wikipedia page:

Post Football

Smith is the current quarterbacks coach for Grossmont Junior College in San Diego. He will attend the University in the fall to get a master's degree in theology and divinity and become a pastor. He currently is a deacon at United Missionary Baptist Church. He plays football for God's House a flag football team, where he still has the ability to throw the ball seventy yards, to the other team.[4]

I thought that was funnier than crap.

Post Football

Smith is the current quarterbacks coach for Grossmont Junior College in San Diego. He will attend the University in the fall to get a master's degree in theology and divinity and become a pastor. He currently is a deacon at United Missionary Baptist Church. He plays football for God's House a flag football team, where he still has the ability to throw the ball seventy yards, to the other team.[4]

Honestly, arm strength was never his problem. His lack of smarts was. He had the ability, but not the want. I've seen interviews of him where admits that he tanked it and that he was more interested in partying than learning the playbook and practicing.

He's coaching ?? Oh good God...

How does the old joke go?

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. And of course those that can't teach....are put in charge of gym class.

nothing like taking a jab at teachers. as if the 35k a year isn't bad enough.

35K? Yeah, right. Three months off a year and the average teacher in my district makes 60K. I should have been a teacher.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. And of course those that can't teach....are put in charge of gym class.

35K? Yeah, right. Three months off a year and the average teacher in my district makes 60K. I should have been a teacher.

Once I retire from the Marine Corps I plan on getting a job as a teacher and being a football coach. I don't think it is a bad job. And you forgot about winter and spring breaks, plus the fact that you are off everyday at 3.

Post Football

Hilarious.

Once I retire from the Marine Corps I plan on getting a job as a teacher and being a football coach. I don't think it is a bad job. And you forgot about winter and spring breaks, plus the fact that you are off everyday at 3.

Being able to retire after 20 years, not having to pay FICA...the list is endless

Being able to retire after 20 years, not having to pay FICA...the list is endless

Still have to pay FICA, just dont have to waste your money paying into a Social Security system that will never give any money back to the current workforce generation. Luckily I have this same deal with the job I currently have.

Just remember to account for the time grading papers, dealing with annoying parents, and mandatory professional development time.

I taught the Combat Medical Course for 4 years and even though my days were 12 hours minimum, it was absolutely my favorite job since being in the Army. I don't think I could teach in a civilian setting as I would want to be the same way I was with the Soldiers I taught for so long and you just can't do that. I give monster amounts of credit to the teachers today who are responsible for teaching our children and are (depending on where you are) underpaid. For those of you that do that, respect...

i'm not sure where you live greg but i need to find a job in that district. there are benefits of course, but your day does not end at 3 pm as others have suggested and summer break is hardly a break anymore with the seminars and conferences that are required. i'm not complaining its the most satisfying job i could ever do (on some days). the parents in my district are pretty disinterested, which is a huge problem, i wish i had to deal with some "annoying parents" at least then i wouldn't worry about what happens (or doesn't) at home.

i'm not sure where you live greg but i need to find a job in that district. there are benefits of course, but your day does not end at 3 pm as others have suggested and summer break is hardly a break anymore with the seminars and conferences that are required. i'm not complaining its the most satisfying job i could ever do (on some days). the parents in my district are pretty disinterested, which is a huge problem, i wish i had to deal with some "annoying parents" at least then i wouldn't worry about what happens (or doesn't) at home.

I'm in the Fairfield district. I do appreciate that CPS teachers, just as an example, probably don't come close to 60 and didn't mean to imply all teachers made great money. We're probably the middle range. I know a good portion of Lakota teachers make 70 or better.

Of course, I've never met a teacher that said they did it for the money. 30 or 70, I think most teachers do it for the love of educating children and I'm grateful all the way around.

I'd still love a job with three paid months off however. I'd gladly work 10-12 hours a day for nine months, doing something I love to boot, and take three off in summer.

There are places in the country that you might consider being a teacher for the money. I read a year or two ago that Las Vegas was giving fat signing bonuses to anyone with a teaching degree.

That said... I don't want to move to Vegas, and the last school I applied at here in Ohio had 407 other applicants. Apparently that $35k for 180 days of work is pretty attractive in the Midwest.

Anyway... for now, being a teacher would be a paycut for me. I just happen to hate my job, and loved teaching when I did it. For now, I'll just have to bust my ass and work extra hours substitute teaching to get my foot in the door someplace.

Wow. I think that is the most I've ever revealed about myself in a post around here. Back on topic Shank! Boo Akili!

Are you a teacher? At least you'll be easy to spot at meet ups etc, what with the leather elbow patches.

I taught briefly, in between my BSc and MSc. NEVER AGAIN!

Of course, I've never met a teacher that said they did it for the money. 30 or 70, I think most teachers do it for the love of educating children and I'm grateful all the way around.

The most common response I get when asking teachers why they chose that field is "I want my summers off." There's not even a close second.

The most common response I get when asking teachers why they chose that field is "I want my summers off." There's not even a close second.

they must be great at their job. :huh:

pidge, yes i am. a poor, currently vacationing teacher of 8th grade. but i have no tweed in my closet.

Yeah, lawyer is such a low paid profession.

Even with the river of cash coming in from the examine, I don't know how the Stephens clan makes ends meet

I believe you have forgotten that I am a mere county-employed civil servant. All I can really say about that without putting my butt in a sling.

Besides, a cheap shot? After I offered to keep your name alive by going down and registering at a seedy hotel under your name?

Never gave me that credit card number, either.

Even with the river of cash coming in from the examine, I don't know how the Stephens clan makes ends meet

I believe you have forgotten that I am a mere county-employed civil servant. All I can really say about that without putting my butt in a sling.

Besides, a cheap shot? After I offered to keep your name alive by going down and registering at a seedy hotel under your name?

Tj, always the first with the cheap shots.

Although i do think teachers have it alot harder then people think. I can't even imagine teaching some of the classes i was in in high school.

Tj, always the first with the cheap shots.

Although i do think teachers have it alot harder then people think. I can't even imagine teaching some of the classes i was in in high school.

I definitely wouldn't want to teach high school these days. I don't envy anyone who does, either.