Throwback uniforms

jjakq27

As I sit here watching the Hall of Fame game, I noticed that both teams (Titans, Bills) are sporting a patch commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the AFL on their throwback uniforms. So I am wondering if the Bengals will be wearing the pre-1981 uniforms or at very least wearing the AFL patch this year. I know they weren't in that original class of 8 teams back in 1960 but think it would be a nice touch if they did.

See the letter below regarding the other teams:

http://www.remembert...brateTheAFL.htm

As I sit here watching the Hall of Fame game, I noticed that both teams (Titans, Bills) are sporting a patch commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the AFL on their throwback uniforms. So I am wondering if the Bengals will be wearing the pre-1981 uniforms or at very least wearing the AFL patch this year. I know they weren't in that original class of 8 teams back in 1960 but think it would be a nice touch if they did.

Bengals.com shows the game by game jersey lineup the Bengals will be wearing this season. There is no throwback jersey listed. The team will be wearing the orange jerseys at home against the Texans and Browns this year. Going back to the throwback jersey topic, NFL.com has a list of all the AFL jersey games....the Bengals are not playing in any of those games.

Whats funny is Ralph Wilson was talking about he had his choice between five cities. One of them being Cincinnati. I think he picked Buffalo because of it's closeness to a national landmark!

I found this interesting note at the bottom of the Bengals page on the above listed link:

"The article doesn't note that Paul Brown* was a PARIAH to true American Football League fans. During the talks in which the NFL approached the AFL to merge, he resisted the retention of the AFL's name and logo, saying "I didn't pay ten million dollars to be in the AFL". Looks like the Bengals still don't care to be included in the celebration of the AFL's 50th season. All other former AFL teams will be wearing AFL throwback uniforms and playing 'AFL Legacy games' against other former American Football League teams in 2009 ~ but not the Bengals. ~ REMEMBER the AFL"

/>http://www.remembertheafl.com/BengalsFacts.html

I can see where the Bengals (see Mike Brown) would feel like they were and have always been NFL men. However, to ignore this vehicle (the AFL) that gave them re-entry to the NFL with the Bengals in 1970 is a real shame. I know it is just a little thing but the NFL does such a good job of promoting it's history and that is one area that the Bengals fail miserably at. And they wonder why their guys (Ken Anderson, Ken Riley, Isaac Curtis) barely get a sniff during HoF voting. But then again maybe they don't.

The Bengals throwback uniforms were terrible and so were those sorry ass helmets. TERRIBLE...

Yes, yes they were. But...so are the Jets throwbacks. They aren't worn as a fashion statement, but an homage to the history of the game.

Those ugly outfits are what you think of when you think Curtis, Anderson, Trumpy, Riley, Clark, etc. Suck it up and break them out for one game.

Greg, I get what they are all about and the reason I have a Kenny Anderson throwback of my own, but it doesn't make those uniforms any easier to look at.

Would I really be upset if they wore them ?? NO...

No, I was talking about the team. I'm not really sure why the team couldn't have just done one game.

Although I shouldn't be surprised. Their idea of honoring the past is a virtual hall of fame. Very classy. At least give us a Circle of Honor or something.

Greg, I get what they are all about and the reason I have a Kenny Anderson throwback of my own, but it doesn't make those uniforms any easier to look at.

Would I really be upset if they wore them ?? NO...

No, I was talking about the team. I'm not really sure why the team couldn't have just done one game.

Although I shouldn't be surprised. Their idea of honoring the past is a virtual hall of fame. Very classy. At least give us a Circle of Honor or something.

In the grand scheme, it's really not a big deal but this team's refusal or indifference to creating some sense of history just boggles my mind.

I know they just had their 40th season in 2007 and they were the last team in the AFL (1968) but it just gives me the impression that they don't want to be bothered. You want to generate some extra revenue? Ask Reebok to do the original uni to keep with the AFL theme. Or if not that one, do the original 1981 version. People will buy anything.

At the very least, they should wear the patch just to signify that they were part of the AFL at one time, whether they were NFL men or not. You could make a case that football was never the same after the AFL and the Bengals (and the Brown family) benefited from that as much as anyone.

From the AFL team pages....

""My father did think of himself as an NFL guy," Mike Brown says, "but keep in mind, he came out of the old All-America Football Conference with the Browns and the 49ers and the Colts, and that merger (with the NFL) took place in 1950, so it wasn't as though he was unfamiliar with new leagues and being part of a new league. … Besides that, when we got the Bengals franchise, the merger had been agreed to (in 1966), although it hadn't been defined."

In other words, Paul Brown's foray into the AFL was a calculated path into the NFL.

Or rather, back into the NFL."

Just as I've always assumed, if Paul Brown hadn't been given guarantees about Cincy eventually joining the NFL itself he NEVER would have agreed to a head coaching position or minority ownership. Rather, he would have continued to say no thank you, he had already turned down numerous offers from other teams, and Cincy's bid for a pro football franchise may have been bypassed by even the lowly AFL.

I think it was the perfect storm for the Brown family. A chance to eventually get back into the NFL, remain in Ohio (rather than Seattle) and be in the same division as the Browns was the ideal situation.

In a related piece of irony, Bob Howsam (and his brother) were founders of the franchise in Denver. I am not sure of the circumstances causing them to leave the AFL but later he would move on to the St. Louis Cardinals (baseball) and finally to the Reds were he is credited as the architect of the Big Red Machine.

The run of "modern" stadiums built in the 60's and 70's can be directly traced to the success of the AFL. Shea Stadium was one of the first multi-purpose (dual-use facilities) of the era. Our own Riverfront Stadium was similar to Shea. New stadiums built in AFL cities like Houston (Astrodome), Oakland and San Diego were some of the first. Later the Chiefs built Arrowhead which is considered ahead of it's time. It must be noted that the Mets and Astros baseball teams also had some influence on these stadiums being built and Paul Brown was able to gain support at the State level to build Riverfront Stadium for the Reds and Bengals to share. It is doubtful that they would have built the new stadium to be used by only one occupant.

Here is a nicely done piece by the USAToday on the AFL. It is amazing to see the influence of the AFL on football and even pro sports in general. If you think about it, many of the leaders over the last 40 years were from the AFL. Guys like Lamar Hunt, Ralph Wilson, Al Davis and even Paul Brown. Other than the Rooney's these guys were involved in shaping the league as it is today more than most of the original NFL teams.

http://www.usatoday....sary-series.htm

Throwback uniforms are nothing to do with creating history/celebrating the past. Just another opportunity to hawk some garments for money, which is fair enough. If only many of them didn't look like a turd that's been yacked over by a cat.

Not true. You can buy Bengals throwback jerseys, but the Bengals never wear them. Teams wear them to show their roots. Reebok makes them to make extra money.

Throwback uniforms are nothing to do with creating history/celebrating the past. Just another opportunity to hawk some garments for money, which is fair enough. If only many of them didn't look like a turd that's been yacked over by a cat.

Not true. You can buy Bengals throwback jerseys, but the Bengals never wear them. Teams wear them to show their roots. Reebok makes them to make extra money.

Ah right, my mistake. I assumed it was similar to over here with soccer shirts. The clubs make the money off the sales and not the manufacturer.

I stand by my second sentence though.

Ah right, my mistake. I assumed it was similar to over here with soccer shirts. The clubs make the money off the sales and not the manufacturer.

Well, I don't know if the Bengals get a cut or not, but my point was that when the teams wear the throwback uni's, it's not for the purpose of generating extra revenue. Hell, the Lions have been wearing the throwbacks on Thanksgiving Day for as long as I can remember and surely no one's buying those things.

Well, I don't know if the Bengals get a cut or not, but my point was that when the teams wear the throwback uni's, it's not for the purpose of generating extra revenue. Hell, the Lions have been wearing the throwbacks on Thanksgiving Day for as long as I can remember and surely no one's buying those things.

You would be surprised, I live close to the Michigan border, and those throwbacks are more common to see than the current unis. Still there are very few Lions fans that are not over 50 years old in my area, so that may account for the throwbacks having some sentimental value. The Lions were actually good at some point in time, from what I'm told.

You would be surprised, I live close to the Michigan border, and those throwbacks are more common to see than the current unis. Still there are very few Lions fans that are not over 50 years old in my area, so that may account for the throwbacks having some sentimental value. The Lions were actually good at some point in time, from what I'm told.

Ok, I've never seen anyone wearing them, but yeah the Lions were a great team back in the 50's. Then Ford took over....