is it time for carson palmer?

KYBENGALFAN

ok, we all had our fun. had the bengals won three in a row to go to 4-4. they had a legitimate shot at the playoffs. but now.. even if they should beat houston next week, they still have some tough games with kansas city, home, baltimore, away, and st. louis, away, so an 8=8 finish doesn't look good enough to be playoff bound.. so, let's hand the ball to carson palmer and see what he can do... better he gets his licks in this year, then make mistakes next year when the slate is clean...

Don't think they should put Palmer in until they get the run game fixed. The running game today was a joke. 47 yards running just don't get it done. You don't put a rookie QB in the game with that kind of running attack. Palmer would be killed.

ok, we all had our fun. had the bengals won three in a row to go to 4-4. they had a legitimate shot at the playoffs. but now.. even if they should beat houston next week, they still have some tough games with kansas city, home, baltimore, away, and st. louis, away, so an 8=8 finish doesn't look good enough to be playoff bound.. so, let's hand the ball to carson palmer and see what he can do... better he gets his licks in this year, then make mistakes next year when the slate is clean...

Because the team is playing poorly, doesn't mean you put in your rookie qb. That should be obvious for a few reasons, but the main one is the message is sends to your team. That would be as you are advocating, packing it in for the year.

If you want a couple of more reasons, look at Patrick Ramsey .... David Carr ..... and Byron Leftwich. If you ask them, I bet they say they're not having fun and the main thing they're learning is how to duck. Learning how to duck instead of learning how to play is bad for the reasons illustrated by Akili Smith .... Tim Couch ...... Ryan Leaf ......... ( shudder ) David Kingler and others.

Got no problem at all with Palmer getting some playing time. If the game is out of hand one way or another, then put him in. After game 10 or 12, even give him a start IF he's earned it. If Kitna gets hurt, put him in then. Putting Palmer in now would hurt Kitna, the team, and most likely Palmer. How would he have confidence in the coaches backing him up when they hadn't done it for Kitna.

Don't forget either KItna is the same guy that last week was beign hailed as a likely pro bowler.

ok, how about this scenario, brought up by a caller on the bengals postgame on wlw, if kitna's having a bad game like he was on sunday, why not spell him for a couple possessions, let him take a breather on the sidelines while carson palmer takes a few snaps and throws downfield. look at the virginia tech-miami, fla. game on saturday night, the virginia tech coach flip-flopped between quarterbacks trying to play the hot hand at the time. i don't think kitna would mnd getting a breather when he's having an off day.

I don't think Palmer should be put in quite yet. I'd say the week when it will be virtually impossible to make the playoffs that's when you start playing him.

The Bengals are still in the race for the AFC North. We're two games out, it's not an impossible feat to overcome.

If Kitna has a bad day, throwing Palmer in doesn't help the offensive timing or show that Kitna is THE quarterback for the year.

What if Palmer plays poorly? Then things get even worse. I am for keeping Kitna in there all year for two reasons.

Rookie quarterbacks almost never play well and Kitna gives the Bengals the best chance of winning.

Keep Carson on the pine. Last week at this time we forgot he was on the roster cause Kit was playing so well. So, Kitna goes out and stinks it up, so now we are ready to bench him?

I say, until the Bengals are mathimatically eliminated from the playoffs, let Kitna run the show. Lewis has shown confindence in him and will continue to.

If Kitna has a bad day, throwing Palmer in doesn't help the offensive timing or show that Kitna is THE quarterback for the year.

What if Palmer plays poorly? Then things get even worse. I am for keeping Kitna in there all year for two reasons.

Rookie quarterbacks almost never play well and Kitna gives the Bengals the best chance of winning.

The term flip flopping is accurate. At the NFL level, it would show that the coach is indecisive and doesn't really trust either of the qb's beyond one bad play. I don't think you can get away with that for very long at the college level, and not at all with pros. Remember LeBeau doing that last year in the pre season and early season ? Result was chaos.

Defensive lines tend to blitz a rookie when he comes into a game in progress to see if they can rattle him and keep him from getting a game going. What if Palmer got an arm or a leg broken and was out for this year and half of next ? That might happen to any qb at any time I know, but there's no sense in puttting him into situations that would increase the chances of that happening.

I'll stick with what I said before. Put him in ?? Sure ....... do it at the right time and in the right situations.

Barring injury or some horribly atrocious performance (like 6 INTs in a first half) I think Kitna has at least 3 more losses before Palmer becomes a real possibility. I don't think Lewis even considers the rook until the loss column hits 8 or 9 and the playoffs are a dead issue. And even then, the points made about the o-line play and lack of a run game are legit. On the other hand, if it comes down to playing out the string, may as well get the kid some time. But if it happens, it ain't going to happen until December.