PFT Report

REPORT: LIONS LIKELY TO DRAFT A LEFT TACKLE

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 15, 2009, 7:05 p.m.

With the NFL draft coming up and the Detroit Lions deliberating on what to do with the top overall selection, Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com is certain that they’ll opt for a left offensive tackle rather than Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford or Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry.

According to Kowalski, the Lions will either draft Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith or Virginia offensive tackle Eugene Monroe with the decision possibly affected by contract discussions prior to the draft.

Per the article, the Lions simply aren’t sold on Stafford due to his inconsistency. Kowalski expects the Lions to lobby the Denver Broncos about a trade for disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler.

A financial argument is offered that the Lions might be better served spending top overall pick money on an offensive tackle rather than a linebacker.

Plus, new Lions coach Jim Schwartz appears to be seriously inclined toward running the football.

Kowalski’s final word: “Players at the top of the board will see their stock ebb and flow, but the one thing that won’t change is the Lions’ commitment to building their team in the trenches first. That’s why it’s going to be a left tackle at that No. 1 spot.”

How does the draft play out now?

PFT has become more reliable over the past season or so, but I still wouldn't say they are the "be all and end all" of reports.

That being said, it wouldn't really suprise me seeing the Lions take the best OT, but without there being a consensus top OT in the draft, isn't it just as equal a risk as taking THE CONSENSUS top QB in the draft ?? Don't the Lions have 2 first rounders ?? Maybe they try to get a little further up to grab Sanchez later in the first. Who knows ??

I think pass rushers are going to be the main targets of teams in round one. It will shake out like the '03 draft where like 7 or 8 pass rushers are taken in the first round.

Here how I think the first five will go:

1. Lions- Eugene Monroe

2. Rams- Jason Smith

3. Chiefs- Brian Orakpo

4. Seahawks- Aaron Curry

5. Browns- Everette Brown

Unless somebody trades up, I don't see anybody taking a QB, especially since it looks like the Lions have a real legitimate shot at trading for Cutler. I could see both the Rams and Seahawks being surprises and picking a QB, but I don't think it's likely.

If they can't trade down out of this spot, you better hope to God that the Bengals don't like Crabtree. I think in this situation, the pick would be a toss-up between Crabtree and Andre Smith.

The Lions are only looking to bring down the contract value for the #1 pick. It's safe to say that they may have those prospects rated close and might go with the lowest bidder, especially if Stafford's demands are above what they're hoping to pay.

The Lions need a QB and there's a major dropoff after Sanchez. The good money still says Stafford is the pick.

Good to see your fixation now includes two players instead of 1

oh, and to the PFT report (any PFT report, really), I say "ppppppfffffftttttttt" (if you can imagine me waving my hand dismissively away as i say this, it helps convey the full idea)

I ponder what the f**k you are talking about