Fixing our center position

Clackwoods

Best scenario is that we somehow finagle an extra 2nd rounder for Chad, that way we could take Barwin at the top of the 2nd and Wood or Caldwell at the bottom. Otherwise we have to pull the trigger on the best available center in round 2 (Unger or Mack most likely). If we wait until rd. 3 it is looking like we would be hoping that Caldwell falls that far or that we really like Shipley because that is who will be available. Mack goes late first or early second, Unger goes early second, Wood goes mid second, Caldwell goes late second early third and Shipley goes third and all the guys after that are projects who will not be able to start as rookies.

I have no doubt that they would like to end the draft with Maualuga, Barwin, and Caldwell, the issue is are you willing to live with Shipley.

rushing the passer and improving our defense just as important imo

bloodycarsonsk9.jpg

Did I say Ignore the Oline? Did I say protecting carson was never important? Plenty of great offensive linemen come out of rounds besides one....

Look at the Patriots Oline or the Pass Happy colts neither one of them have a first round OT....

Best scenario is that we somehow finagle an extra 2nd rounder for Chad, that way we could take Barwin at the top of the 2nd and Wood or Caldwell at the bottom. Otherwise we have to pull the trigger on the best available center in round 2 (Unger or Mack most likely). If we wait until rd. 3 it is looking like we would be hoping that Caldwell falls that far or that we really like Shipley because that is who will be available. Mack goes late first or early second, Unger goes early second, Wood goes mid second, Caldwell goes late second early third and Shipley goes third and all the guys after that are projects who will not be able to start as rookies.

I have no doubt that they would like to end the draft with Maualuga, Barwin, and Caldwell, the issue is are you willing to live with Shipley.

i don't think caldwell is an upgrade. he isn't very strong and all reports have his body as being close to maxed out. if, as is obviously the case, we need a center that can control the afcn nt's caldwell is no better than guycheck.

the only options, in my opinion, are mack, unger and wood and all three would have to be taken at the top of the second. we might as well get used to that idea. the only way around it is if the coaching staff is really high on one of the guys that is currently on the roster, but that doesn't explain why they couldn't usurp guycheck. the x-factor may be kyle cook, i have seen it said that he is the strongest o-lineman on the team.

once again, i think eric wood is the strongest and nastiest of the incoming rookies. and that he should be the choice at #38.

Difference between Ghiaciuc and Caldwell is that Ghiaciuc played at Central Michigan and succeeded,...ok...Caldwell played at Alabama and started 34 games that means he anchored one of the best OLines in college football against LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee ect. His game tape stands up better than Ghiaciuc's because he was playing against NFL caliber defensive players week in and week out. Take a look at some Alabama games, they almost always get push up the middle and by all accounts Caldwell is very smart making all the line calls and has been a great leader, something that cannot be said about Ghiaciuc. LINK:http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/college/article/alabama_football_caldwell_leads_tight_knit_senior_class/48749/

Alabama averaged 196 YPG rushing...anyone clambering to draft their running backs?

Look at the Patriots Oline or the Pass Happy colts neither one of them have a first round OT....

They have better OLine coaches who are better talent evaluators and develop players better

Also, Logan Mankins was a r1 pick

Mankins is a guard,Nick Kaczur is a 3rd rounder & Matt Light is a 2nd rounder and I like our mid round picks it's our day 2 projects that don't seem to work...

Though I like what we have in Collins and think he'll be a Solid Starter.

Difference between Ghiaciuc and Caldwell is that Ghiaciuc played at Central Michigan and succeeded,...ok...Caldwell played at Alabama and started 34 games that means he anchored one of the best OLines in college football against LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee ect. His game tape stands up better than Ghiaciuc's because he was playing against NFL caliber defensive players week in and week out. Take a look at some Alabama games, they almost always get push up the middle and by all accounts Caldwell is very smart making all the line calls and has been a great leader, something that cannot be said about Ghiaciuc. LINK:http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/college/article/alabama_football_caldwell_leads_tight_knit_senior_class/48749/

Alabama averaged 196 YPG rushing...anyone clambering to draft their running backs?

I'd be OK with Caldwell in the 4th or 5th. He's my 4th C, ahead of Jon Luigs and behind the Big 3. For the Ghiaciuc lovers/haters, I'm thinking that the Bengals are going to re-sign him. What better options are out there, at this point?

I think a number one receiver such as Coles referring to Chad the way he did shows you the opinion on Chad around the league. I hope they trade him so I can say I told you so to everyone in here that for some reason thinks we can't get a first for him.

I can't remember who said it, but we won't trade him for anything less than that, otherwise Mikey will look like an idiot!

I think Andre Smith was the reason they were so good. They didn't do s**t when Andre didn't play in the bowl game, IMO that made him skyrocket in my book, to bad he messed it up with his combine debacle.