Bengals eyeing WR Jarrett Dilliard

HAPPYJAQ

From 1530homer.com:

Rice receiver Jarrett Dillard says the combine has no way to "measure heart" -- spoken like a guy who measured 5-10.

Said the Bengals and Jaguars have shown the most interest in him.

From a size standpoint, he doesn't fit the Bengals prototype but he had amazing production in college and is a 4.3 guy. I believe that he broke Larry Fitzgerald's NCAA BCS record for consecutive games with a receiving TD . If he can return kicks, he could be a guy they take in the 3rd or 4th round. Possibly a Steve Smith type? Keep an eye on him tomorrow.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/...tt_dilliard.htm

Did he return kicks in college? There's nothing about that listed in his profile

Had only one KR in his entire college career, but maybe he was too valuable to have him back there. I don't know if I've ever seen a receiver have multiple 20 TD seasons (21 in '06 and 20 last year) in a college career. Nine catches for 158 yards and a TD in a blowout loss to Texas is impressive, too. Production wise, he's at least as good as Crabtree and should be available much later.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=157274

He played at RICE, I would hope his production was better than Crabtree's. Crabtree's the better player.

Rice has ALWAYS been known as a running offense.

Question: Who was the last NFL QB from Rice?

Answer: Former Bengal Donald Hollas, who was a 4th round pick in 1991. He was an option-type QB himself.

The Jarrett Dilliard hype might be over, as he ran a 4.53 today. How about Penn State WR/KR (and Marv favorite) Derrick Williams, who ran as slow as a 4.67?

I repeat Anquan Bolden ran a 4.74 40 at the combine, look how he turned out. Just because a guy runs a 4.2 40 in underarmour doesnt mean he is a good football player. Dilliard could be a great player a 4.5 40 is pretty good. Rice has changed their offense by the way. They are very pass happy. THeir tight end John Kassay had like 110 receptions last year.

I repeat Anquan Bolden ran a 4.74 40 at the combine, look how he turned out. Just because a guy runs a 4.2 40 in underarmour doesnt mean he is a good football player. Dilliard could be a great player a 4.5 40 is pretty good. Rice has changed their offense by the way. They are very pass happy. THeir tight end John Kassay had like 110 receptions last year.

For every Anquan Boldin, there are five Mike Williams. He is far from the rule when it comes to slow 40's at the combine at the WR position, translating to NFL production. Boldin also ran a 4.59 at his pro day, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if Derrick Williams can shave off a tenth and a half from his time, too.

You are right about Rice changing their offense, but 20 touchdowns in Division 1-A football is 20 touchdowns. That's outstanding production.

Without a doubt, that is an amazing stat. I would not be sad if we drafted him. I am just saying Crab is a better all around prospect now. Dilliard is still high on my list. We shouldn't just judge them on 40 times. You can judge Dilliard and Crabtree just on how fast they can run 40 yards alone. You have to look on film and see the production on the field. They both have proven that they can play.

What do you think of Mike Wallace of Ole Miss and Patrick Turner of USC?

Without a doubt, that is an amazing stat. I would not be sad if we drafted him. I am just saying Crab is a better all around prospect now. Dilliard is still high on my list. We shouldn't just judge them on 40 times. You can judge Dilliard and Crabtree just on how fast they can run 40 yards alone. You have to look on film and see the production on the field. They both have proven that they can play.

What do you think of Mike Wallace of Ole Miss and Patrick Turner of USC?

Mike Wallace has extremely rare speed. He wanted to break the record at the Combine. I'm a little concerned with the 39 catches and less than 800 yards for a guy that explosive, physically. I read once where he said he can run in the high 4.1's before he ran at 4.21 on campus.

I like Pat Turner and he's got great size but Mayock made a great point in saying that receivers 6'5'' plus typically don't have much of an impact at WR. He's interesting, nonetheless and looked good at the Senior Bowl.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to LOVE the idea of taking Pat White in the 2nd round. He looked the best throwing the ball of any QB today, including Matt Sanchez. He could return kicks and punts and play some receiver or in some wildcat-types of formations. It would give our offense a new look and he could be a good backup QB in a year or two.

The guy's a playmaker and could boost our offense in a limited role, while solving the KR/PR problems.

And all Simpson has to show for it last season is, 1 catch for 1 yard, and an horrible offense of pass interference penalty in the Green Bay Pre-season game.

One thing to consider is if the Bengals do in fact draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd, they've figured that either Simpson or Caldwell does not have starting-quality potential and they seem to really like both of these guys. This is even more important as the Bengals will more than likely use less 3 WR sets on 1st and 2nd down as they try to run the ball more.

If it's not Pat White, I really don't see the point of the Bengals drafting a WR type in the 1st 3 rounds, unless somebody falls to their draft spot, is the best value on the board and has some real KR ability.

I wanna see how Pat White does on his pro day as a WR. If he does good I would make a case to draft him in Rd.2.

I think that Simpson has a lot of learning to do still that it might be another year or two for him to really reach his potential. I think that Crabtree would be a good pick for us because he can play right away.

I wanna see how Pat White does on his pro day as a WR. If he does good I would make a case to draft him in Rd.2.

I think that Simpson has a lot of learning to do still that it might be another year or two for him to really reach his potential. I think that Crabtree would be a good pick for us because he can play right away.

I'd rather see the team wait and see how Simpson and Caldwell develop. Chad and Henry are both signed for '09 and both have a good chance to be gone after the season. If Simpon and Caldwell develop some consistency this year while showing they could be starters for us, then all you're looking for next year is a 3rd WR. We're going to be running a lot less 3 WR sets, it seems.

One thing to consider is if the Bengals do in fact draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd, they've figured that either Simpson or Caldwell does not have starting-quality potential and they seem to really like both of these guys.

The thing is, I DON'T think the organization thinks that about Simpson OR Caldwell. Actually I think just the opposite. With TJ being gone (more than likely), Henry nearing the end of his contract, and Chad only having maybe two more years, drafting WR wouldn't suprise me. If they do though, the dude should have some return skills in order to get any production from him at all this year.

One thing to consider is if the Bengals do in fact draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd, they've figured that either Simpson or Caldwell does not have starting-quality potential and they seem to really like both of these guys.

The thing is, I DON'T think the organization thinks that about Simpson OR Caldwell. Actually I think just the opposite. With TJ being gone (more than likely), Henry nearing the end of his contract, and Chad only having maybe two more years, drafting WR wouldn't suprise me. If they do though, the dude should have some return skills in order to get any production from him at all this year.

That's why Maclin would have to be the pick high. With Chad staying, Caldwell and Henry seemingly improving and a very high pick invested in Simpson (in his 2nd year), how do you get snaps for ANY rookie receiver.

And that's exactly why I said I was really ok with knowing Crabtree would be gone by #6, IF the Bengals were to go WR in the first. GIve me Maclin and his return skills and color me happy. That being said, I still would rather go in another direction... Also, Maclin is having an MRI on his knee. Hope it works out for the kid, he was having a good combine.