Anyone irritated with Mayo DROY?

walzav29

Not really suprised and I dont think it will come back to bite us.

mayo was plugged into a very sucssesful LB corps which made it all that much easier to shine.

Rivers was plugged into a very poor setup and expected to shine and for the most part he did well until that piece of s**t hines ward hit him.

so I think rivers will be a much more a better player for us in the long run depending on how the draft goes he could be in for an outstanding year.

I think everyone knew all Mayo had to do was put up a pretty sound year and the award was his for the taking. I can recall people making that call shortly after the draft was over. Something along the lines of the Patriots being a media darling and a Super Bowl contender makes Mayo VERY appealing to those who judge this stuff...

Why would we be irritated about this? Mayo had 128 tackles, 100 solo, 4 Passes defensed, 1 FF - Rivers had half a season, 37 tackles, 1 FF, 1 PD, 1 INT.

Even with a full season it's unlikely Rivers' would've matched Mayo's production, or come close to his tackle #'s. I don't even think Rivers will be a Pro Bowl talent necessarily, just a solid LB you like to have, the Bengals' still need a stud LB (or two).

Of course the Pats had two vet LB's to mentor Mayo who had been playing in the same system for a long time, while the Bengals' had a new system, a LB who had been here only one year they picked up off the street in Jones, and a CFL talent in Jeanty in his 3rd year in the NFL. (not knocking the job Dhani has done, but he's a placeholder and struggles in coverage a lot)

Obviously this kind of situation doesn't help draft picks when your owner is constantly trying to cover up his incompetence by bringing in a new defensive coordinator every 2-3 years.

Why would we be irritated about this? Mayo had 128 tackles, 100 solo, 4 Passes defensed, 1 FF - Rivers had half a season, 37 tackles, 1 FF, 1 PD, 1 INT.

Rivers missed 10 games and I think he wouldve been right there with Mayo

Also playing ILB in a 3-4 set, compared to playing WLB in a 4-3 is a huge difference for tackles. Rivers probably would have ended the season with 84 tackles, 60 solo. But also would have easily put up more INT's FF's and PD's. It would have been close is all i'm saying and i'm completely happy with the Rivers pick.

Also Happy New Year.

Rivers missed 10 games and I think he wouldve been right there with Mayo

Also playing ILB in a 3-4 set, compared to playing WLB in a 4-3 is a huge difference for tackles. Rivers probably would have ended the season with 84 tackles, 60 solo. But also would have easily put up more INT's FF's and PD's. It would have been close is all i'm saying and i'm completely happy with the Rivers pick.

Also Happy New Year.

If Marvin is smart, he would pull the lever for guys wearing USC uni's again this year, that D is unreal.

Thanks Membengal. That's what I meant. I remember that the Pats were going to move up to take Mayo, but they knew the Bengals were taking Rivers. I'm just hoping we didn't get an OK guy compared to an all-pro. Rivers did receive 1 vote though. I like Rivers, but I still think we need a guy with a nasty attitude.

Thanks Membengal. That's what I meant. I remember that the Pats were going to move up to take Mayo, but they knew the Bengals were taking Rivers. I'm just hoping we didn't get an OK guy compared to an all-pro. Rivers did receive 1 vote though. I like Rivers, but I still think we need a guy with a nasty attitude.

I thought he received 4 votes. The fact that he got any votes at all is a testament to his skill. I like the guy and I think we need to get someone to put next to him. Look how much better the Seahawks got (Not counting this year) when they added Julian Petersen to go along with their stud MLB!

I thought he received 4 votes. The fact that he got any votes at all is a testament to his skill.

I've read he got just one vote and the writer admitted he made the selection in error. Still, I recall at the time he was injured Rivers had almost identical tackle stats as Mayo, and had produced more big plays.