AFCN: Worst Division in Football?

HoosierCat

Well, we all know about the Bengals. They got a bunch of guys hurt (or dogging it), no fire on the field, and clearly a lot to be desired in the backup department.

Meanwhile, up in Cleveland, the Browns have just as long a list of dinged-up players, including Derek Anderson, who didn't play in last night's beat-down by the Lions.

In Baltimore, they were down to Joe Flacco at QB last night. And their injury-ravaged secondary continues to suck. Not to mention their offense.

Finally, we have the Steelers. Toothlessburger got knocked around about as bad as Carson last night, Mendenhall fumbled twice, and they only finally won in Q4 scrub time.

In sum, all indications are that the Bengals suck, the Ravens suck, the Browns suck and the Steelers suck.

Forget the question, will 9-7 win the division? The way things are shaping up, it looks like 7-9 might do it...

The Steelers are still the class of this division. They drafted well in April, as they do every year. They return everyone, and they have fewer holes than anyone else in this division. 10-6 or 11-5 simply because they're players believe in the steeler mystique.

- The Browns are overrated. - Shaun Rogers should've been a Bengal, but at least after seeing him in 2 preseason games I can at least take comfort that his lethargic ass will add 350 lbs. of inconsistency to their defense! As talented as they are on offense, they still have a porous secondary and are average at best with their front seven. 8-8 or 9-7.

- The Ravens are old and in poor health. Unless Troy Smith or Kyle Boller can rely on Willis McGahee to be Healthy(fat-chance), then their offense will struggle, and the defense will continue to suffer another season of poor quarterback play and 35 minutes or more of being on the field each week. 5-11 or 6-10.

- Even if we are healthy, the defense will continue to struggle unless Antwan Odom becomes STRAHAN all of a sudden!!

Geathers is a fine football player, but average at best as a pass rusher. Peko, Thornton,Sims, and Shirley should be a solid enough tandem to at least slow down a teams rushing attack. But with a lack of consistent pass rush, A young secondary, and probably another inconsistent year on offense has the Bengals looking at 8-8 again.

* So with that, I wouldn't say we're the worst, I still put the NFC West as the worst division. Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers....... Yeah, that's pretty bad.

The Steelers are still the class of this division. They drafted well in April, as they do every year. They return everyone, and they have fewer holes than anyone else in this division. 10-6 or 11-5 simply because they're players believe in the steeler mystique.
What about Faneca?

Their O-Line is a much bigger question mark than for the Bengals. They allowed nearly 50 sacks last year, having bigger problems than the Bengals at Center last year. That's why they had to make a desperation move and sign Hartwig when he was cut from the Panthers because of how he underachieved while there. Not to mention that they did what the Bengals did with Andrews... except with Max Starks because Willie Colon had such a pedestrian season as the starter last year. They could not afford to lose Faneca and replace him with a first year starter in Chris Kemoeatu.

But that aside - even if the Steelers are better than the Bengals (which they might be) They have a tougher schedule. Whereas the Bengals play the Cheifs and Jets, The Steelers must play the Patriots and Chargers.

That means they must play the Jags (who own them for some reason), the Colts, Chargers, Patriots, The Cowboys - and I expect them to lose at least one game to one of either the Redskins, Giants, or Eagles. And I certainly don't expect them to go 6-0 in the division. That looks like a 9-7 at best, very possibly 8-8 type season.

So, no... I'm not expecting the Bengals to make a run on the playoffs on their own merits. I don't think they are good enough - but I don't think the AFCN has a team that can run away with the division. The Bengals will be in the running because this entire division is going against incredibly tough schedules... and none of the teams have impressed. A mediocre season can make the playoffs in the AFC North this year.

What about Faneca?

Their O-Line is a much bigger question mark than for the Bengals. They allowed nearly 50 sacks last year, having bigger problems than the Bengals at Center last year. That's why they had to make a desperation move and sign Hartwig when he was cut from the Panthers because of how he underachieved while there. Not to mention that they did what the Bengals did with Andrews... except with Max Starks because Willie Colon had such a pedestrian season as the starter last year. They could not afford to lose Faneca and replace him with a first year starter in Chris Kemoeatu.

But that aside - even if the Steelers are better than the Bengals (which they might be) They have a tougher schedule. Whereas the Bengals play the Cheifs and Jets, The Steelers must play the Patriots and Chargers.

That means they must play the Jags (who own them for some reason), the Colts, Chargers, Patriots, The Cowboys - and I expect them to lose at least one game to one of either the Redskins, Giants, or Eagles. And I certainly don't expect them to go 6-0 in the division. That looks like a 9-7 at best, very possibly 8-8 type season.

So, no... I'm not expecting the Bengals to make a run on the playoffs on their own merits. I don't think they are good enough - but I don't think the AFCN has a team that can run away with the division. The Bengals will be in the running because this entire division is going against incredibly tough schedules... and none of the teams have impressed. A mediocre season can make the playoffs in the AFC North this year.

Oh, I didn't forget about Faneca, But I think a team that gives up 40+ sacks isn't about to resign a 30 + year old guard to a 50 million dollar contract. - The point I thought that I made was fairly simple. They improved the Running and passing game with Mendenhall and Sweed. They improved their pass rush and linebackers the last two years with Woodley and Timmons. Their weakest link might be their cornerbacks, but they still have an ALL - PRO Safety protecting them. - And while we may play the chiefs and the Jets, we played them last year, and if not for a complete meltdown in the 4th quarter by the Jets, We would have been blown out by BOTH teams!! - And this year, the Bengals get the Favre led Jets, and not the Penny-less Jets. But hey, At least we get the Chiefs at home this year??? I wonder what happened the last time we played them in week 17?? :angry:

IF the Steelers aren't the class of this division, then who is..? Cause We have only beaten the Steelers ONCE at home in Paul Brown Stadium in our stadiums 8 year history. And until that changes, We're still looking up from the Bottom.

" Like my Daddy used to say, If You're not First, You're Last " -- Rickey Bobbie

The Steelers are likely the best in the division, but derek's point stands, given how rough their schedule is, and how iffy their o-line is, 9 wins is likely their ceiling.

Frankly, I think 8-8 wins this division.

And no, I don't think the Bengals will get to 8-8.

- The Browns are overrated. - Shaun Rogers should've been a Bengal, but at least after seeing him in 2 preseason games I can at least take comfort that his lethargic ass will add 350 lbs. of inconsistency to their defense! As talented as they are on offense, they still have a porous secondary and are average at best with their front seven. 8-8 or 9-7.

- The Ravens are old and in poor health. Unless Troy Smith or Kyle Boller can rely on Willis McGahee to be Healthy(fat-chance), then their offense will struggle, and the defense will continue to suffer another season of poor quarterback play and 35 minutes or more of being on the field each week. 5-11 or 6-10.

- Even if we are healthy, the defense will continue to struggle unless Antwan Odom becomes STRAHAN all of a sudden!!

Geathers is a fine football player, but average at best as a pass rusher. Peko, Thornton,Sims, and Shirley should be a solid enough tandem to at least slow down a teams rushing attack. But with a lack of consistent pass rush, A young secondary, and probably another inconsistent year on offense has the Bengals looking at 8-8 again.

* So with that, I wouldn't say we're the worst, I still put the NFC West as the worst division. Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers....... Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Man I don't know about that Shaun Rogers deal, I watched the first half of that game and he was a damm beast!!!!! He was disrupting damm near everything, everytime i saw that fat fvck in a play I was like, fvck he should have been here....

Oh, I didn't forget about Faneca, But I think a team that gives up 40+ sacks isn't about to resign a 30 + year old guard to a 50 million dollar contract. - The point I thought that I made was fairly simple. They improved the Running and passing game with Mendenhall and Sweed. They improved their pass rush and linebackers the last two years with Woodley and Timmons. Their weakest link might be their cornerbacks, but they still have an ALL - PRO Safety protecting them. - And while we may play the chiefs and the Jets, we played them last year, and if not for a complete meltdown in the 4th quarter by the Jets, We would have been blown out by BOTH teams!! - And this year, the Bengals get the Favre led Jets, and not the Penny-less Jets. But hey, At least we get the Chiefs at home this year??? I wonder what happened the last time we played them in week 17?? :angry:

IF the Steelers aren't the class of this division, then who is..? Cause We have only beaten the Steelers ONCE at home in Paul Brown Stadium in our stadiums 8 year history. And until that changes, We're still looking up from the Bottom.

" Like my Daddy used to say, If You're not First, You're Last " -- Rickey Bobbie

Yeah, Polamalu is a great safety... but when's the last time he played an entire season? And yes, the Steelers beat the Bengals in Paul Brown, but the Bengals often beat the Steelers at Hines. It's a fair trade. I'm not really going to spend my time fighting the rest of your post, because I think some of your points are valid, and some aren't - and it kind of evens out... but I'm not sure we're having much of a disagreement here.

I don't think the Bengals are playoff bound - and I think when it's said and done the Steelers will likely have a better record than the Bengals. All I am saying is that it wouldn't take much for the Bengals to unseat them. All they would have to do is play up to their potential for half of their games, and they have a shot.

The unfortunate thing is that they haven't done that in a couple years, so there's not a lot of reason to believe it will happen.

Yeah, Polamalu is a great safety... but when's the last time he played an entire season? And yes, the Steelers beat the Bengals in Paul Brown, but the Bengals often beat the Steelers at Hines. It's a fair trade. I'm not really going to spend my time fighting the rest of your post, because I think some of your points are valid, and some aren't - and it kind of evens out... but I'm not sure we're having much of a disagreement here.

I don't think the Bengals are playoff bound - and I think when it's said and done the Steelers will likely have a better record than the Bengals. All I am saying is that it wouldn't take much for the Bengals to unseat them. All they would have to do is play up to their potential for half of their games, and they have a shot.

The unfortunate thing is that they haven't done that in a couple years, so there's not a lot of reason to believe it will happen.

We're debating the same point from two different angles. The Bengals are underachieving. The play on the field represents the attitude of it's leadership. There is NO ONE on this team or Coaching staff that Says what it means and Means What it Says. - There are few MEN, and even fewer players that are accountable. Marvin Lewis has paraded himself as a "Head-Coach" but leaves offensive and defensive philosophies to the co-ordinators. That's Not a Head Coach. That's a Supervisor. That's a Crew Co-ordinator at a production plant. NO Direct responsibilities. Thus No attitude to effect or affect differences in our outcomes.

- To Put it simply. We Need A Hands on Coach. Not a " You go do it, and tell me how it works out " type of guy.

A Coach with Balls!! I'd rather play for a Drill Sergeant than a Dance Instructor !!

Marvin Lewis has paraded himself as a "Head-Coach" but leaves offensive and defensive philosophies to the co-ordinators. That's Not a Head Coach. That's a Supervisor. That's a Crew Co-ordinator at a production plant. NO Direct responsibilities. Thus No attitude to effect or affect differences in our outcomes.

That's not been true until this year. Marvin has been very hands on with the defense. That's why Frasier was let go. They didn't agree. Zimmer came in and basically told him, "I know what I'm doing. Butt out."

I can respect Marvin for doing that. I know what you're saying... I'm just not sure I agree. The final say lies with Marvin. He's responsible for game-planning and making sure that the Coordinators are doing their job. It's not a problem that it appears that he finally has coordinators that he trusts.

The problem with Marvin is that he works for Mike Brown. He's not truly in charge. Everyone knows the real decisions are made by someone else and that what Marvin says may or may not go. He has no way of making a successful team when he doesn't have the power to back-up statements that he makes to the players, media, and fans. It's no wonder you think he doesn't have balls. No one can control a bunch of prima donnas when they know that you aren't really calling the shots.

Marvin Lewis has paraded himself as a "Head-Coach" but leaves offensive and defensive philosophies to the co-ordinators. That's Not a Head Coach. That's a Supervisor. That's a Crew Co-ordinator at a production plant. NO Direct responsibilities. Thus No attitude to effect or affect differences in our outcomes.

That's not been true until this year. Marvin has been very hands on with the defense. That's why Frasier was let go. They didn't agree. Zimmer came in and basically told him, "I know what I'm doing. Butt out."

I can respect Marvin for doing that. I know what you're saying... I'm just not sure I agree. The final say lies with Marvin. He's responsible for game-planning and making sure that the Coordinators are doing their job. It's not a problem that it appears that he finally has coordinators that he trusts.

The problem with Marvin is that he works for Mike Brown. He's not truly in charge. Everyone knows the real decisions are made by someone else and that what Marvin says may or may not go. He has no way of making a successful team when he doesn't have the power to back-up statements that he makes to the players, media, and fans. It's no wonder you think he doesn't have balls. No one can control a bunch of prima donnas when they know that you aren't really calling the shots.

Uh, you better go back and read Marvin's statements about Frazier and Bresnahan. I can pull you about a dozen quotes up where he said and I quote, " I Prefer to let the Co-ordinators do their jobs, and if they want my input, Or want to know what I think, I'll be happy to help ".... He said that time and time again.... Since '03!!!!

Frazier has went on to run a very successful scheme in Minnesota. Bresnahan had a solid Super Bowl defense with the Raiders. True Frazier has more to work with with a very talented defensive line. And The Raiders were a solid overall team, but the fact remains. These men aren't stupid. So If Marvin was a Genius, then his input should've improved the team. Not Hampered it.

Now one thing that we Will DEFINITELY AGREE WITH ..... MARVIN LEWIS IS NOT IN CHARGE!! As long as Mike Brown's name is on the payroll check..... 1991-2002 will continue to turn into 1991- 2008!!!

CAN WE PLEASE GET TACTICAL ASSASIN FOR THE ARCADE, AND CHANGE IT TO SHOOTING AT MIKE BROWN, KATIE, AND ANYONE ELSE WE CAN HONESTLY PUT THE BLAME ON THE FARCE OF A FRANCHISE the Bengals have become. Or Remained ???