scrimmage/mock game

kingwilly

I jut posted in the prediction thread about Brat committing to the run and making adjustments. I then finished reading the blogs and benglas.com posts summarizing the scrimmage and mock game...and the question looms, what is with all the reverses???

I sense Brat will frustrte us all with this junk all season...

I then finished reading the blogs and benglas.com posts summarizing the scrimmage and mock game...and the question looms, what is with all the reverses???

I sense Brat will frustrte us all with this junk all season...

I only see 2 WRs with rushing stats from both "fake" games. Maxwell on Sat. and Caldwell on Fri. I don't see "all" the reverses.

I guess 1 reverse a game is too much.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bratkowski sucks and has no confidence in any strategy he creates so quickly goes to the "randomly pick something unusual playcalling" technique to trick the other team which ends up picking the same plays that suck. I have been guilty of this in Madden, it doesn't work. Brat does not set a defenses up, he does not stick with something that works until the opposing D adjusts before hitting them with the change-up.

I wish the Bengals would have gotten rid of him and promoted Zampese, but that is just me.

My biggest complaint about Bratkowski, and my only complaint about the offense, is that it is a read and react offense. They step up to the line and wait till the defense gets set to decide what they are going to do. If they step up and defensive players are running around, especially on the line, they should catch them on their heals and run the play.

The defense seems to have shifted from this philosophy this season under Zimmer. They have decided to force the offense to adjust to them instead of the other way around. IT"S ABOUT TIME!!! Now the offense needs to do the same. Call your play and make the defense adjust to us. This offense has so many weapons, but it plays right into the defense's hands by letting them dictate the plays we run.

This team needs to be agressive in everything they do, period!

I'll never understand the gnashing of the teeth and yearly complaints about Bratkowski.

Bratkowski can't call a game to save his life. His play-calling is extremely predictable and sometimes downright terrible.

Yeah. Brat is junk. That's why he's usually mentioned as an option at the end of every year when teams are looking for Head Coaches. He's terrible.

I wouldn't say terrible. IMO he's more along the lines of mediocre with acres of room left for improvement.

Yeah. Brat is junk. That's why he's usually mentioned as an option at the end of every year when teams are looking for Head Coaches. He's terrible.

huh? what mentions? granted, I do not read EVERY report but I honestly cannot recall a single mention of Brat as a "next" head coach in the NFL.

huh? what mentions? granted, I do not read EVERY report but I honestly cannot recall a single mention of Brat as a "next" head coach in the NFL.

I remember specifically him being interviewed by the Detroit Lions a couple years ago. I don't think it's gotten as far as an interview since then... but there have been rumors of interest that I've heard.

Regardless... he's a good coordinator. If he was as bad as the guys on this board make him out to be, the Bengals would never have made the playoffs in '05, and would still be perennial losers. As it is, he coaches the strongest unit on the team. The complaints that surround him always come from his 3rd and long calls (usually some sort of draw or shovel pass trying to get better field position for a punt) or his tendency to continue throwing the ball when they have a lead in the 4th quarter (because the running game stinks).

If they were to fire him, a lot of people on this board would be happy... until they hired someone else. I don't think there is anyone available year in and year out that would do better than him.

I think Bratkowski is an excellent OC. Remember what he did with Jon Kitna? Carson, Rudi, Chad, T.J. and Willie(who was an afterthought prior to his arrival) all have had Pro Bowl seasons since he's arrived, not to mention the numerous first and second alternates. He's coached the best offensive unit since Boomer's heyday, which says plenty considering that was nearly 20 years ago. Zampese, Alexander and Anderson also deserve credit, but Alexander and Anderson have been on the staff for over a half century combined. I think Zampese will eventually be one of the hot, young coaches in the next few years. He's done a great job with Palmer and Kurt Warner/Marc Bulger before him.

I think Bratkowski is an excellent OC. Remember what he did with Jon Kitna? Carson, Rudi, Chad, T.J. and Willie(who was an afterthought prior to his arrival) all have had Pro Bowl seasons since he's arrived, not to mention the numerous first and second alternates. He's coached the best offensive unit since Boomer's heyday, which says plenty considering that was nearly 20 years ago. Zampese, Alexander and Anderson also deserve credit, but Alexander and Anderson have been on the staff for over a half century combined. I think Zampese will eventually be one of the hot, young coaches in the next few years. He's done a great job with Palmer and Kurt Warner/Marc Bulger before him.

Word.

O Coordinators are the easiest to complain about. The Bengals have a great offense... so the complaint is his 3rd down calling anytime there isn't a first down. The offense didn't score a TD every time they got the ball... so he called bad plays, right? These are the same stupid arguments that happen with every internet forum for all 32 teams across the league.

Look.... maybe he's conservative on 3rd and long. I'd rather play the field position battle though than throw it up for grabs and put the defense in a bad position. And as for Brat not being able to run down the clock at the end of games... look at his personnel. These are the same issues the Colts struggle with. They lack a power running game that can pound it down another team's throat even when they are expecting it. This is the offense that's been built - so why try to put a square peg in a round hole? Do what you do best. Throw the damn ball.

My guess is that with the presence of Utecht, Brat will be able to be far less predictable. But the complaining will continue - because that's what fans do. They complain about the O Coordinator. There is no more thankless job in the NFL... well, aside from O-line.