Navy, Air Force Screw Campbell, Lions?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0444/1126/rss14

OK, let me get this straight: Army 'backer Caleb Campbell enters the draft under a policy an "alternative service" policy adopted by West Point. Now, he's ordered to report for regular duty when the DoD yanks the policy. The rationale?

There has been speculation that the DOD was considering rescinding the program, and that the department was getting pressure to do so from the Naval and Air Force academies, who feel the Army gets a recruiting advantage from using it.

:huh: So the Navy and Air Force want to reduce the Army's ability to recruit? WTF? With friends like these, who needs terrorists?

I think this is complete bullsh*t. While I can understand the rationale of him doing his service to country and his education coming at the taxpayers expense, but at the same time, you would think there are other ways of handling this. This would be a huge PR hit for the Army as a whole. I can remember during the draft having the crowd break out into cheers of "U-S-A !!!" in support of Campbell. I feel bad for the guy...

WHODEY !!!

I agree it's complete BS. But for me it's the inter-service rivalry that's the real issue. So what if the Army gets a recruiting edge? Aren't we all supposed to be on the same team? Yeah, I know, each service has its quotas and its needs, but really is this such a big freakin' advantage? This strikes me as a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" scenario.

I agree it's complete BS. But for me it's the inter-service rivalry that's the real issue. So what if the Army gets a recruiting edge? Aren't we all supposed to be on the same team? Yeah, I know, each service has its quotas and its needs, but really is this such a big freakin' advantage? This strikes me as a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" scenario.

I'm not trying to start a big heated debate here, but in my informed opinion that's just not how the military is supposed to work. Sure...inter-service rivalry has been and always will be a part of the equation, but it boils down to members of the Navy and Air Force are requiring their officers serve their duty up front without making exceptions for jocks. The Army is part of the same team and should have their soldiers serve by the same rule as other services.

Granted it will have what I predict a very small impact on quotas for the Army, and I feel bad that the rules were equalized just as Caleb Campbell was about to start a NFL career, but the point remains if you sign a contract with our nations military, all contracts are to filled equally regardless if you are a Soldier, Marine, Sailor, or Airman.

He does have the "failure to adapt" option open to him, which is basically a no-fault divorce in the first year or 6 months between the military and the soldier/sailor/airman/Marine in question. It would be an extreme pu**y move, and it would shock me if he tried to go this route, but he does have an option if he feels like sacrificing his character.

I'm not trying to start a big heated debate here, but in my informed opinion that's just not how the military is supposed to work. Sure...inter-service rivalry has been and always will be a part of the equation, but it boils down to members of the Navy and Air Force are requiring their officers serve their duty up front without making exceptions for jocks. The Army is part of the same team and should have their soldiers serve by the same rule as other services.

Granted it will have what I predict a very small impact on quotas for the Army, and I feel bad that the rules were equalized just as Caleb Campbell was about to start a NFL career, but the point remains if you sign a contract with our nations military, all contracts are to filled equally regardless if you are a Soldier, Marine, Sailor, or Airman.

X2

The Army is part of the same team and should have their soldiers serve by the same rule as other services.

And I'm absolutely fine with that. But...that's not the alleged reason for the reversal. Rather, it's that the Navy and Air Force feel the Army will get a competitive advantage in recruiting. And it's not like Campbell isn't going to be in football -- he's going to be coaching at West Point! So all this boils down to, in my view, is the two other services screwing the Army out of a recruiting tool at a time when it's struggling to keep up enlistment. This makes sense?

X2

The thing here is, they failed to inform him of this decision until right before he was due to report and should have had more time seeing as how the decision was made long before he was told. Not only that, all services have programs in place that allow individuals in the service to handle whatever issues they may have and this should be no different. Many years ago, I got a transfer to another base because of medical reasons to assist my family. Others have been moved for many other reasons from things such as allergies, financial needs, family emergencies, and schooling to name a scant few.

I have no idea what branch Campbell was going into, however, there are plenty of things he could do for the recruiting command in Detroit or in local universities that would allow him the opportunity to not only complete his obligations to the service, but get the chance to play NFL football. Having Campbell play would not only have a feel good effect, but would be a huge "positive" PR advantage to the Army. If the Air Force and Navy chose not to interpret the ruling the same way the Army did is their problem and had the opportunity to do the same thing, so F*CK them !!!

I see the point in arguing the other side of this issue, but as a Senior NCO, I would like to see the kid play !!!

WHODEY !!!

The thing here is, they failed to inform him of this decision until right before he was due to report

In the Marines we called this getting the "Big Green Weenie", and without question Caleb Campbell took it up the poop chute in this case. I feel he should have been allowed to proceed into the NFL with a "grandfather clause", but as we past and present service members know, the military isn't much into clauses. Those are best left for civilians. Our Armed Forces are into orders being passed down and being enacted immediately. Call it the nature of the beast, and presently that beast is the baddest that walks, swims, rides, or flies over this earth.