ESPN Insider Story

I got it. Yeah that is the title of the story and they put a nice picture of Palmer up there, but when you go and read they give about 4 lines about Palmer. The rest of that article is about other players that are going into the their second season.

Here is what they wrote about Palmer:

"Palmer spent last year on the sidelines learning the Bengal's offense and improving his ability to read defenses. This year the preparation should pay off. With Cincinnati's explosive three WR sets creating favorable matchups, Palmer should have a strong year. It also helps that Coach Lewis and backup QB John Kitna have made it clear that Palmer is the starting QB."

That is it. Not much more than what everybody is saying.

Call me a sucker, but I can't help but be way too excited for this upcoming season. I expect Palmer to coming out swinging and throwing haymakers in the 4th quarter... especially when he's got a left jab named Rudi Johnson and a right hook named CJ. And the secondary kids they got should get him the ball back more times than not.

Who-Dey :player: :angry: :player:

Not wanting to piss on the fireworks, but wasn't Palmer dropped from No.2 to No.3 at times last year?

As much as I would love CP to hit the scene, all guns blazing, 400 yards and 5 TD's per game, I think we still need to keep our feet on the ground.

He was dropped because at that point in the season there was a serious possibility of going to the playoffs. When Carson was at 2, if he had to play there wasn't the pressure of the playoffs hanging over their heads. He could have eased into the QB spot. Later on the staff realized that if the Bengals wanted to make the playoffs they couldn't afford to let a young QB come in and make a few mistakes. That's why he was pushed back down to 3.

Not wanting to piss on the fireworks, but wasn't Palmer dropped from No.2 to No.3 at times last year?

As much as I would love CP to hit the scene, all guns blazing, 400 yards and 5 TD's per game, I think we still need to keep our feet on the ground.

yeah but it was because lewis didnt want palmer in late at the end of the season if kitna got hurt. He knew this was going to be carsons year. SUPER BOWL

He was dropped because at that point in the season there was a serious possibility of going to the playoffs. When Carson was at 2, if he had to play there wasn't the pressure of the playoffs hanging over their heads. He could have eased into the QB spot. Later on the staff realized that if the Bengals wanted to make the playoffs they couldn't afford to let a young QB come in and make a few mistakes. That's why he was pushed back down to 3.

So are you saying that Palmer, at that time, wasn't able to handle the pressure, or that the coaching staff didn't, at that time, believe he was a better option than Matthews ?

I know what you're saying about "easing him in" but surely there's pressure in every game, and certainly this year a feeling (amongst the fans anyway) of expectations of having a better shot at the play-offs. What if the Bengals go 0-4 ? there'd be terriffic pressure on Palmer 'cos lose another and you could be out of the play-off hunt in October.

Like I said I'm not trying to be a "negative nancy", I'm just trying to put some balance into the view that just because we've got Palmer starting we'll win every game easily.

Like I said I'm not trying to be a "negative nancy", I'm just trying to put some balance into the view that just because we've got Palmer starting we'll win every game easily.

We realize that. You're more of a skeptical Scotsman than a negative Nancy. :P

So are you saying that Palmer, at that time, wasn't able to handle the pressure, or that the coaching staff didn't, at that time, believe he was a better option than Matthews ?

I know what you're saying about "easing him in" but surely there's pressure in every game, and certainly this year a feeling (amongst the fans anyway) of expectations of having a better shot at the play-offs. What if the Bengals go 0-4 ? there'd be terriffic pressure on Palmer 'cos lose another and you could be out of the play-off hunt in October.

at that point in the season, we simply didn't have time for his learning curve to take place.

if we start him this year, he can start off slowly, and struggle a bit, but still have time to get going, and get us to the playoffs. last year we didn't have time for his rookie learning that he'll have to undergo. if he came in and struggled at first, there wouldn't be any games left afterwards for him to get going. it was the best move at the time to get the team to the playoffs.

yeah but it was because lewis didnt want palmer in late at the end of the season if kitna got hurt. He knew this was going to be carsons year. SUPER BOWL

Scottish, when Palmer was elevated to #2, the outlook was bleak. The Bungles started out the first 5 games 1-4. I'm thinking that Mikey Boy had a hand in Palmer's Elevation (the move was a patented Mike Brown move).

Then in the next 8 games, they went 6-2--and there was a shot that the Bungles were going to be playoff bound, so Palmer got shelved to #3. You need a veteran in competitive situations like that.

However, I believe Scottish is right folks--keep your feet a little more planted about Palmer "going off" next year. It's great to be optimistic, but let's face it--the guy hasn't played ONE NFL DOWN. He's going to struggle at first.

I'm not saying that. I'm just reporting what I understood about why Carson was being shifted around. I would have liked to see Carson get into a few games, maybe late in the game...

...or how about lining up at 4th WR? Just kidding, just kidding!

I agree with Scotty. I've always had the position of waiting to see Palmer in action before I commit to his "eventual successes".

I'm not pessimistic, just embrassing the hard shell the Age of Helplessism has bestowed on us. (you guys can quote that by the way, that's just pure writing GENIUS) :lol:

I'm sure he's going to struggle, and I'm sure he'll fail where most veterans will succeed, but I truely believe he'll need a period of adaption before he earns anything of any praise.

Yes, I think Kitna should still be the starter, because afterall, he earned it. But I'm not going there, you can look back in the forum for Joisey's and myself's 15 page discussion. :lol: