Deltha O'Neal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is officially in RE-Build mode... It'll be another few years before we're back in the playoffs. Chad and TJ will be next to go.

Rebuilding would make sense, possibly, but this is just chaos mode. They clear all this cap space...to do what? They've already extended the vets they want. If they don't at least extend somebody they want around, then this is just a Brown Co. cash grab, and that will really piss people off.

The running theory is they'll at least extend TJ with all this cash. They better do something with it. Here's the pathetic thing - they haven't developed any good young stars in the last 3 years who would *deserve* getting an extension. So at this point, they have a lot of cash and nothing worthwhile to do with it.

This team is officially in RE-Build mode... It'll be another few years before we're back in the playoffs. Chad and TJ will be next to go.

Rebuilding would make sense, possibly, but this is just chaos mode. They clear all this cap space...to do what? They've already extended the vets they want. If they don't at least extend somebody they want around, then this is just a Brown Co. cash grab, and that will really piss people off.

The running theory is they'll at least extend TJ with all this cash. They better do something with it. Here's the pathetic thing - they haven't developed any good young stars in the last 3 years who would *deserve* getting an extension. So at this point, they have a lot of cash and nothing worthwhile to do with it.

I'll just stay patient as always... I do expect TJ to get that extension and I'm sure the release of Rudi/Willie had something to do with that thought process. Hopefully some Offensive Lineman become available, preferably a center... I've said it before, TJ is the spark plug of this offense. We need to do whatever we can to re-sign Housh.

I'm still not convinced they are interested in Housh beyond this season. Even before the final cuts, the Bengals were reportedly about $6 million under the cap. Even subtracting an injury cushion, that combined with the current $4 million or so in cap space Housh is already chewing up gave them plenty of room to do a new deal. But they didn't. In fact they went and gave new money early to guys like Peko and Whit.

No, I don't see any desire on the part of this team to keep TJ in stripes.

I'm still not convinced they are interested in Housh beyond this season. Even before the final cuts, the Bengals were reportedly about $6 million under the cap. Even subtracting an injury cushion, that combined with the current $4 million or so in cap space Housh is already chewing up gave them plenty of room to do a new deal. But they didn't. In fact they went and gave new money early to guys like Peko and Whit.

Maybe it's the other way around and the family man TJ, doesn't want to sign with the Bengals and is ready to move out on the left coast. Fact is fact, and the fact is the Bengals continue to make front office moves that leave fans scratching their heads.

Maybe it's the other way around and the family man TJ, doesn't want to sign with the Bengals and is ready to move out on the left coast.

That's possible as well. Also possible is that the feeling is mutual: the Bengals would rather not drop big money on TJ, and TJ would rather be a few thousand miles west.

Extending Peko and Whit was a good move wouldn't you agree? Housh will get the Franchise Tag next year, that's why they didn't offer a deal now.

Extending Peko and Whit was a good move wouldn't you agree? Housh will get the Franchise Tag next year, that's why they didn't offer a deal now.

I don't have a problem extending Peko or Whit, I was just pointing out that the Bengals have had -- and still continue to have -- endless opportunities to talk contract with Housh. And they pointedly have not. That they have always been in the habit of getting extensions for key players done early (or, as in Andrews' case, at least trying to), but have evinced no interest in TJ all offseason speaks volumes, IMO.

The tag is a definite possibility. My sense is that it depends on how Caldwell and Simpson progress. If they make strides, I think the Bengals wave buh-bye to TJ. If they are still struggling, TJ could get hooked for one more year.

Deltha has always been inconsistent and lazy, and that won't change on any other team.

I agree that Deltha has been inconsistent and lazy at times but, he is stil better than Hall and the rest of our CB's

He has still put up alot of interceptions and can cover any WR.

The team played much bettre with him than they did last year with 'toast' Hall starting.

He has not taken it well, being replaced by Hall ,I dont blame him,he's better than Hall.

I am sure after seeing what Chad has done thought ,thought,I think I'll make myself some money and get out of here by not showing up to voluntaries.

I'm sorry I don't know what games you've been watching. Deltha from a few years ago was better thatn Leon Hall. Today's Deltha O'Neal is not better than Leon Hall. Cutting him was a great move. The way I look at it is that if we were signing this guy right now everyone would be pissed. So why so much complaining over cutting an aging CB with declining skills?

What you have to remember is, we have lost one of the better cover corners in the league, even if he was unhappy about being #3 CB, and we now have in his place Simeon Castille in his place.

Castille runs a 4.74 40 , thats not fast enough to play CB in the NFL -period

A guy like that can look much better than he is ,when he is playing against undrafted free agents in pre-season games, when guys he is covering are not as fast as the starters and the speed of the game is slower.

By the time a guy like Castille gets in, guys are just trying not to get hurt and most of the plays at the end of a preseason game are runs.

If the Bengals had picked up someone like Michael Grant or one of the other guys in the final cuts it wouldnt have been so bad.

Teams will smoke this guy every time he is in there .

When you have WR's and RB's running in the 4.2 range --4.74 is not going to cut it for a CB.

He is just not fast enough to play CB in NFL-- Period

If a CB runs 4.50 he better be very good in the rest of his game to make up for the lack of speed.

Castille is too slow to play S let alone CB in the NFL.

Don't fall in love with 40 times. Being fast in the game is what counts. I haven't seen enough of Castille yet to make a judgement on if he is as slow as you claim, but definitely a 40 time isn't indicative of if someone can play football.

Deltha has always been inconsistent and lazy, and that won't change on any other team.

I agree that Deltha has been inconsistent and lazy at times but, he is stil better than Hall and the rest of our CB's

He has still put up alot of interceptions and can cover any WR.

The team played much bettre with him than they did last year with 'toast' Hall starting.

He has not taken it well, being replaced by Hall ,I dont blame him,he's better than Hall.

I am sure after seeing what Chad has done thought ,thought,I think I'll make myself some money and get out of here by not showing up to voluntaries.

I'm sorry I don't know what games you've been watching. Deltha from a few years ago was better thatn Leon Hall. Today's Deltha O'Neal is not better than Leon Hall. Cutting him was a great move. The way I look at it is that if we were signing this guy right now everyone would be pissed. So why so much complaining over cutting an aging CB with declining skills?

Because the alternative is a noticeably worse, and much less experienced, option than he is. I fail to see the genius of this cut.

But "WhO DeYz!! ChAd RoCkZ!!! let's tailgate with Hero doods!!!" and whatever.

Leon Hall is a better football player than Deltha right now. This is not the same pro-bowl Deltha O'Neal. Deltha has been toast all pre-season and it stuck out to me. Maybe he just didn't want to be here and was trying to play his way out. He just wasn't being a productive football player honestly.

Henry comes back Castille goes to the PS.

As far as the 4.74 40, Castille is faster than that, you can't play major college football running a 4.74 40 at CB and not only did Castille play at a major program (Alabama) he played in the SEC (generally considered the fastest conference in college football) and not only did he play he starred playing 35 games (16 starts) in 3 years and recording 107 tackles (10.5 for losses), three forced fumbles, 21 pass breakups and nine interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Castille was First Team ALL SEC last year, so he might have recorded that time on a track but he is not that slow. It is a classic issue of playing speed vs track speed and I am damn glad he made our team.

If Castille is on the PS and we have an injury that requires more than 3 CBs (because a dime package can be covered by our safeties) then for the next game we can call Castille up from the PS and make a roster decision at that time rather than jettisoning a player now.

If Castille is on the PS and we have an injury that requires more than 3 CBs (because a dime package can be covered by our safeties) then for the next game we can call Castille up from the PS and make a roster decision at that time rather than jettisoning a player now.

I would be shocked if the Bengals went into a game with only three true CBs dressed. Yes you could cover with safeties during a game if you had to, but I don't think that's the desired formula. That being said it is possible that only 3 will be dressed for Baltimore and/or Tennessee due to the "talent" they possess at WR.