Unsung hero

gregstephens

Here's to pitcher Ed Volquez--now 8-2 and an ERA under 1.50.

You know at this point in the season I thought Cueto would be the guy with these stats. Especially after his opening game. Hopefully he comes around too. He's young, but learning.

Cuetto, Volquez, and we'll see the other young gun-slinger Bailey tonight. Can you believe I'm watching the Reds over the NBA finals? Honestly Bailey's stuff is just as good, if not better than Volquez's so they say. He throws a upper 90's fastball, slider, and a cartoon changeup. He just has to put 'em together and hit the right spots.

Like I said, Josh Hamilton could win the batting title (triple crown) this year and I still wouldn't undo the trade between him and Volquez! That's how much pitching matters.

On another note, our relief pitching is 100 x's better as well. I think their era in the last 30 games is like 2.5 opposed to about double that in the first 30 games.

Do you think he'll start at the All-Star game? I believe he should, but they may pick a bigger name (Webb, Zambrano, etc.).

Won't start. I can see Webb. I hope they at least pick him. He's earned it. You know the Reds have been shafted the past few years on AS picks.

On another note, our relief pitching is 100 x's better as well. I think their era in the last 30 games is like 2.5 opposed to about double that in the first 30 games.

I would agree with you to an extent. I absolutely HATE David Weathers. Everytime he comes into the game and the Reds have a small lead, I cringe like I am waiting for a train wreck to happen. I think I can count on one hand the number of times he has come into a game and not walked at least one batter. I think Dusty Baker is taking notice too as you more often see Jared Burton coming in during the 8th inning instead of Weathers. I wouldn't be surprised to see Weathers get cut at some point this year if Majeski can get healthy and the rest of the bull pen stay healthy (Bray, Merker, etc.)

I am finally glad to see that the Reds have opened their eyes and gave up on the Fogg/Belisle 5th starter experiment. I mean why keep running guys out there that you know are going to give up at least 3-4 runs every game and pitch only 5 innings max. I have been waiting for them to finally do what they did and bring Bailey back up to get more big league experience. They might as well let all three young pitchers grow together and hopefully when one has a good start it rubs off on the other 2. Also don't be surprised to see Darryl Thompson come up from the minors too to make a spot start or to fill in if one of the top five starters goes down.

Can someone explain what the hell is wrong with Harrang ??

WHODEY !!!

He pitched 3 innings of relief during that 18 inning game with San Diego then came back and started without his normal days of rest. Since he was pitching out of his schedule I am guessing he was fatigued somewhat which made him change the way he normally has pitched and messed up his mechanics and psyche a bit.

I would say that he will have one more poor outing then once the Reds get a day off and he gets an extra day of rest and time to spend on the side to straighten out his mechanics he will be back to normal. Honestly I would have him skip his next start and use a different pitcher in it and get him straightened out now. Maybe call up one of the young guys from Louisville like Thompson to pitch for one day.