Palmer Calls Out Chad, TJ

HoosierCat

At least that's espn's take...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3406905

Quarterback Carson Palmer said on Wednesday that he is disappointed that the two Pro Bowl receivers aren't in town helping the newcomers learn the system. The Bengals took three receivers in the draft last month.

"You'd hope that a guy like Chad and a guy like T.J. would be here helping guys out and trying to make the team better in that way," Palmer said. "But they've got to handle their own business themselves, too."

Who's the leader of the Bengals? Oh yea, he's the one at camp working with the rookies, Palmer.

Who really wants to win? Once again, it's the guy at camp trying to improve the team.

Didn't Chad tell Palmer to mind his own business? He also said that he wants to play for a winning team. So, what's he doing about it. NOTHING!

TJ will definately help the young receivers when he reports, but I honestly believe that the more time, and passes the Rookies get with Palmer will only help them in the long run.

Since he is the ONLY player on that team that commands respect, Carson has every right to call-out anybody he chooses, since the dude is the very definition of a Leader, he is everything you want in a QB, and despite his huge contract, nobody works harder, and wants to win more than he does.

The truth is, if he wants to call out CJ, then he has to call out TJ (and vis versa). I think TJ has the right to sit out so since he has done nothing detrimental to the team. That being said, if you REALLY REALLY wanted to help our the team, then TJ should show up to help the rookies and put the spotlight on Chad. But either way I'm with Palmer.

Truthfully in my opinion chad also has right to sit out of voluntarys and train at home if thats all he was doing...it's the whole mouth thing ;)

Ceiling cat says Chad and TJ ought show up or kaz should find a new avatar. Otherwise ceiling cat might have to take extreme measures o_O.

I'm going to get ripped for this but I really don't see Carson as "the very definition of a leader". Is he a great player? Yes. Does he have leadership characteristics? Yes. But truthfully, he seems to me to be developing rather slowly as a leader.

What he said about CJ and TJ reporting to camp is something any QB better say when asked. What's the alternative? Reporter: "Carson, what do you think about TJ and CJ not showing up to camp?" Carson: "Oh hey, you know, it's cool. Those guys have better things to do and we all need to respect that."

Don't get me wrong, I love Carson and we are very lucky to have him - but I just don't see him as the ultimate leader. Frankly I wish he was a little bit more of a d*ck and was a little more of a hard a$$ with the rest of the team.

I'm going to get ripped for this but I really don't see Carson as "the very definition of a leader". Is he a great player? Yes. Does he have leadership characteristics? Yes. But truthfully, he seems to me to be developing rather slowly as a leader.

What he said about CJ and TJ reporting to camp is something any QB better say when asked. What's the alternative? Reporter: "Carson, what do you think about TJ and CJ not showing up to camp?" Carson: "Oh hey, you know, it's cool. Those guys have better things to do and we all need to respect that."

Don't get me wrong, I love Carson and we are very lucky to have him - but I just don't see him as the ultimate leader. Frankly I wish he was a little bit more of a d*ck and was a little more of a hard a$$ with the rest of the team.

As a retired naval officer, I learned along time ago that, being a loud mouth and a yeller isn't neccessary to being a good leader... The people on that team know who the leader is and he's showing it by being there throwing the ball to people.... I'm sure if someone needs a little "adjustment" CP will talk to them away from the media or on the sidelines like he did Henry a couple of years ago... You bellow enough at somebody and pretty soon they just tune you out.. So no I'll take Carson the way he is...

I reluctantly agree.

Look, Palmer clearly didn't "call out" Chad or TJ as the thread title suggests. In fact, it would be fair to say that while Palmer has acknowledged Chad's antics...he has barely commented in a serious manner on a situation that could not only define the Bengals coming season, but dramatically impact the teams long-term plans.

As a retired naval officer, I learned along time ago that, being a loud mouth and a yeller isn't neccessary to being a good leader... The people on that team know who the leader is and he's showing it by being there throwing the ball to people.... I'm sure if someone needs a little "adjustment" CP will talk to them away from the media or on the sidelines like he did Henry a couple of years ago... You bellow enough at somebody and pretty soon they just tune you out.. So no I'll take Carson the way he is...

You don't have to be an ass to be an effective leader! Just lead by example, which is what Palmer is doing. He's there trying to help this team improve. Organization doesn’t really accomplish anything. Plans don’t accomplish anything, either. Theories of management don’t much matter. Endeavors succeed or fail because of the people involved. Only by attracting the best people will you accomplish great deeds.” This is why the pro bowlers need to be professional enough to attend these events. In the Army, we train as we fight. If we pencil whip out marksmanship scores and don't qualify twice a year, we'll get rusty and won't be able to knock down targets that are down range. Same concept can be made in pro football. We have new coaches this year. They are revamping the playbooks. Enough said.

I think that Carson is just taking the high road on these things with Chad and T.J., as he should. He is the starting quarterback and top leader on the football team. Behind closed doors, I am SURE that he has a different view on how he feels about all of this. It's a slight comparison to how McNabb reacted when he was going through media bashing from T.O.

My point was that everyone talks about what an elite leader he is but I see no evidence. Give me an example. He showed up to voluntary practice? He read a leadership book? He told a reporter that he wished CJ and TJ were at the voluntary practice?

He's a great QB with great wide recievers and he is one of the leaders on the team and we're very lucky to have him. He is NOT the ultimate leader - he's actually fairly average.

damiancasey, what or who do you lead? What exactly do you want him to do? Rub their bellies, hold their hands, and change their diapers? These guys are supposed to be professionals. It’s not Palmers job to enforce standards, it’s the coaching staff. Palmer is leading by example. He’s there working, running, throwing, sweating. He’s providing mentorship, motivation, purpose, direction, etc to the younger players. Now I’m no expert on leadership, but I did manage to lead a unit in combat, accomplished the mission and brought them all home to their loved ones. I didn’t have to belittle anybody, didn’t have to hold their hands, wipe their noses or change their diapers. They were professional and knew what it took to accomplish the mission and to stay alive. The veterans on the team know what they need to do to win. Get off Palmers jock.

I reluctantly agree.

Look, Palmer clearly didn't "call out" Chad or TJ as the thread title suggests. In fact, it would be fair to say that while Palmer has acknowledged Chad's antics...he has barely commented in a serious manner on a situation that could not only define the Bengals coming season, but dramatically impact the teams long-term plans.

I think he is at the crossroad on this. Up to this point, he's tried to be the calm, quiet soother for both sides, but it will come to a head soon where he has to say something and aggressively take a stand. It'll piss somebody off, but it will have to be done.

damiancasey, what or who do you lead? What exactly do you want him to do? Rub their bellies, hold their hands, and change their diapers? These guys are supposed to be professionals. It’s not Palmers job to enforce standards, it’s the coaching staff. Palmer is leading by example. He’s there working, running, throwing, sweating. He’s providing mentorship, motivation, purpose, direction, etc to the younger players. Now I’m no expert on leadership, but I did manage to lead a unit in combat, accomplished the mission and brought them all home to their loved ones. I didn’t have to belittle anybody, didn’t have to hold their hands, wipe their noses or change their diapers. They were professional and knew what it took to accomplish the mission and to stay alive. The veterans on the team know what they need to do to win. Get off Palmers jock.

Combat, why is it relevant who I lead now or who I have led in the past? Why did you just give me your resume? To prove to me that you are qualified to comment on leadership? I have quite a bit of leadership experience and we can just leave it at that. OK, so now that we have established that you and I are both experts on leadership let's move on...

If you read closely you will note that I am not "on Carson's jock". If you read closely you'll see that I love him and I think we are extremely lucky to have him.

All I was saying is that I haven't seen anything that would convince me that he is the "Superleader" that everyone is making him out to be. I think he's about average.

I never said that he NEEDS to scream or belittle to be an effective leader - I simply wish that he was a little more aggressive.

I see him leading by example too and that's great but that is passive leadership and it's the bare minimum that you should expect from the starting QB.

Combat, why is it relevant who I lead now or who I have led in the past? Why did you just give me your resume? To prove to me that you are qualified to comment on leadership? I have quite a bit of leadership experience and we can just leave it at that. OK, so now that we have established that you and I are both experts on leadership let's move on...

If you read closely you will note that I am not "on Carson's jock". If you read closely you'll see that I love him and I think we are extremely lucky to have him.

All I was saying is that I haven't seen anything that would convince me that he is the "Superleader" that everyone is making him out to be. I think he's about average.

I never said that he NEEDS to scream or belittle to be an effective leader - I simply wish that he was a little more aggressive.

I see him leading by example too and that's great but that is passive leadership and it's the bare minimum that you should expect from the starting QB.

Who would you say is a "superleader"??

I lead a group of 10 prosecutors as a division chief for five years. Most of them started out green and young. Some needed the 'lead by example', while others needed me on their tails. It's all about timing and personality.

Having said all that, this is the NFL and pro athletes. I have no clue what NFL leadership should be, nor can I advise on it. Good luck, Carson, and the Bengals. If Carson is a true NFL leader, the team will improve. If he isn't, the team will remain mediocre while he is quarterback. I hope for the former.