Marvin Lewis' Latest Comment on CJ

In MMQB today Marvin said, "You cannot allow a player to get up on his high chair with four years left on his contract and demand to get out. If you do that, you set a terrible example for the rest of your team, and we won't do that.''

The fact that he said "example for the rest of the team" caught me eye. Is there concern that there are other key players that will consider pulling a Chad if they think it will work? Or am I just being a conspiracy theorist?

If it's true then that would support the theory that there are a lot bigger and more deep-rooted problems on the Bengals than just CJ.

I think what Marvin is saying is, teams can not have episodes like T.O. in Philly. You do not allow your own kids throw temper tantrums because you did not buy them a candy bar, and you can not allow a player throw them either just because of contract / or anything else. You signed a big dollar contract, everyone knows today's contract will be smaller than tomorrows.

So cj's holding his breath till your blue.... Marvin's sticking his left and right index fingers in cj's cheeks saying grow up.

In MMQB today Marvin said, "You cannot allow a player to get up on his high chair with four years left on his contract and demand to get out. If you do that, you set a terrible example for the rest of your team, and we won't do that.''

The fact that he said "example for the rest of the team" caught me eye. Is there concern that there are other key players that will consider pulling a Chad if they think it will work? Or am I just being a conspiracy theorist?

If it's true then that would support the theory that there are a lot bigger and more deep-rooted problems on the Bengals than just CJ.

I think Marvin is just letting the rest of the class no that, before they even think of throwing a little hissy fit like princess Chad, they need to realize they need to be men of their words... Basically he and MB are in charge and he's letting them know that... I like it!!!

I like the attitude, but believing that other players and agents will take notice and not get out of line is, I think, wishful thinking. These guys aren't geniuses, and they all have such huge egos that they all think they're different. Did the hard line on Pickens change how Dillon acted? No.

So I really don't think this accomplishes anything. But it's at least entertaining, so I'll take that!

I don't know what you mean by "reading too much into it." What is there to read. He has stated over and over again pretty bluntly where the bengals stand. Chad has a contract with the bengals and if he is going to play, it will be with the bengals. I really don't see anything confusing where "reading" into it is even an issue.

And no, it does not mean that there are other key players who want out or will do the same thing. You simply don't set the precedent. That would be a terrible way to run a team. You have way too much time on your hands.

And no, it does not mean that there are other key players who want out or will do the same thing. You simply don't set the precedent. That would be a terrible way to run a team. You have way too much time on your hands.

Doesn't mean there aren't either. Who knows what the next year will bring by way of that messed up locker room.

Doesn't mean there aren't either. Who knows what the next year will bring by way of that messed up locker room.

Right, every season is different, part of the deal.

Besides the only player on the Bengals that I'd not want to leave is Carson Palmer, the rest of them, they have little leverage pulling a Chad, nearly all are just happy to be in the NFL.

Chad will sooner or later get what he wants, a trade. It doesn't do him any good to sit, it doesn't do the Bengals any good either. When it will happen, I don't know, probably after he reports. A guy like Chad can help a playoff team, no doubt, and some will make the right offers.

I love the stance that Marvin has taken this year. Through the Shula, Coslet and LeBeau eras there have been players that have angled their way out of Cincinnati with taking their issues to the media. Everytime in the past, be it Pickens, Dillon, Spikes, Lorenzo Neal and others, the team has crumbled and left holding the bag or licking their wounds. The firm stance that Marvin has taken is a "fresh of breath air" and he should be applauded on that. I love even more how when there were reports surfacing about Levi being unhappy with the organization and a reporter asked Marvin about the "situation" and Marvin responded with "Levi doesn't have a situation". That was classic. From releasing Henry, to having a solid draft to how he's handled the Chad situation, you have to be happy with how he's handled what could have been a devestating off-season.

I don't know what you mean by "reading too much into it." What is there to read. He has stated over and over again pretty bluntly where the bengals stand. Chad has a contract with the bengals and if he is going to play, it will be with the bengals. I really don't see anything confusing where "reading" into it is even an issue.

You didn't understand my point...

If Marvin takes action in order to "set and example for the rest of the team" that would imply that he thinks it's necessary to set an example.

With me so far?

Marvin would think that it's necessary to set an example IF there was a risk of other players pulling the same stunt. If there was NO risk of other players pulling the same stunt then it would NOT be necessary to set an example.

Get it?

Nobody is confused about Marvin's policy - it's very clear. The question is around the motivation behind the policy. Another team may have let CJ go without much of a fight because they did not need to set an example for the rest of their players.

And thanks for the detailed analysis of how much time I have on my hands.

You didn't understand my point...

If Marvin takes action in order to "set and example for the rest of the team" that would imply that he thinks it's necessary to set an example.

With me so far?

Marvin would think that it's necessary to set an example IF there was a risk of other players pulling the same stunt. If there was NO risk of other players pulling the same stunt then it would NOT be necessary to set an example.

Get it?

Nobody is confused about Marvin's policy - it's very clear. The question is around the motivation behind the policy. Another team may have let CJ go without much of a fight because they did not need to set an example for the rest of their players.

And thanks for the detailed analysis of how much time I have on my hands.

Of course there's a chance that other players might pull the same kind of crap. It doesn't mean players are already trying, though.

Any person in a leadership role such as this (teaching, coaching, etc.) has to make these kinds of statements to stop problems before they occur. Maybe there is something going on already, and maybe there isn't, but Marvin's actions should be the same either way.

You always make an example of the first case you encounter.