Bengals add WR Travis Brown

mgi

From bengals.com

The Bengals look to be adding two more rookie free-agent wide receivers.

The first one arrived Tuesday on waivers when they claimed Travis Brown of New Mexico from Seattle.

The 6-3, 202-pound Brown was a first-team All-Mountain West Conference selection as a junior and a senior. His 182 career receptions rank third in school history, and his 2196 receiving yards rank fifth. He was signed by Seattle on April 29 and waived Monday.

Also, The Eureka Reporter, said Tuesday that Nebraska's Maurice Purify is expected to sign this week. The 6-3, 224-pound Purify had an impressive tryout during last weekend's rookie camp.

http://cincinnatibengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6782

He is kind of slow with a 4.61 forty.

I wonder why the Seahawks signed and waived him so quickly?

Strengths:

Very good size and bulk...Has excellent hands...Terrific body control...Good leaper with decent ball skills...Runs pretty good routes and knows how to get open..Very strong and tough...Works the middle of the field...Solid blocker...Great intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Does not have very good speed or quickness...Is not overly explosive and lacks a burst...Isn't really elusive and won't do much after the catch...Has trouble getting separation...Not a deep threat...Questionable ball security..Upside may be limited.

Notes:

Was a three-year starter...He was overshadowed by Marcus Smith with the Lobos but is a pretty good player in his own right...Most likely doesn't profile as anything more than a #4 / #5 wideout at the pro level but could compete for a roster spot.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...ravisbrown.html

Doesnt really matter, happens every season. They sign people for camp and cut them during the preseason roster cut-downs.

The Bengals only figure to keep 6 receivers, that said, look for Chad(he'll be there), TJ, Chatman, Holt, Simpson, and Caldwell....with Urrutia being

on the practice squad maybe along with 1 other(Maxwell maybe).

Doesnt really matter, happens every season. They sign people for camp and cut them during the preseason roster cut-downs.

The Bengals only figure to keep 6 receivers, that said, look for Chad(he'll be there), TJ, Chatman, Holt, Simpson, and Caldwell....with Urrutia being

what makes you feel that CJ will be on the roster? Did he not claim that he would rather sit out? Did ML not call his bluff? Do you think they will just kiss and make up?

Based on what has transpired, I think CJ will sit and be shut-out. He will be suspended and not paid. For him to come back, there would need to be severe concessions made. Concessions CJ is not willing to make. THus, he will not play another game in stripes.

The WR group looks like this to me:

TJ, Simpson, Caldwell, Holt, Maxwell and maybe Urrutia or Purify.

I think Chatman will be cut, since he cannot stay healthy and CJ will sit at home all Fall.

what makes you feel that CJ will be on the roster? Did he not claim that he would rather sit out? Did ML not call his bluff? Do you think they will just kiss and make up?

Based on what has transpired, I think CJ will sit and be shut-out. He will be suspended and not paid. For him to come back, there would need to be severe concessions made. Concessions CJ is not willing to make. THus, he will not play another game in stripes.

I think Chatman will be cut, since he cannot stay healthy and CJ will sit at home all Fall.

I can't see how anyone here actually knows Chad well enough personally to make these claims. I'm not saying they're not probable. I'm just saying it's not etched in stone like Ocho Cincos next visit to Mickey D's.

Based on what has transpired, I think CJ will sit and be shut-out.

Didn't lance Briggs ask for a trade and say he never wanted to play for the bears again? didn't he end up playing and then signing a long term deal?

Chad will not give up 8million dollars to sit all season more so since he'd have to pay some of his money back..When it comes to missing out on some major cash chad will show.

Yes,Marvin called his bluff. The bluff was the threat to sit out. I dont see Chad sitting out. If he plays and causes problems his trade value and playing time will go down along with his age going up.

Bengals hold all the cards.

I hope Chatman is out, his health has kept him off the field for the past years, time to move on and hope he can revitalize the career he had in Green Bay.

I will admit I hope Chad does come back (what he is going to do is speculation). That said, he does come back he does need to make things right for the team and the Bengal fan family. But I do hope he does come back and plays.

With Chapman out, the wide receiver that brings that special teams element to the game (who that is not sure at this time) but that will be the key. Not sold on Holt's ability to keep the ball in his hands. We need to find that gem in the that 5th or 6th wide rcvr that can play double duty in the special teams game.

Simpson, Caldwell, and Purify are locks to make it. Chatman will be next in line. Holt sucks. Urrutia will be oin the practice squad if another team dowsn't claim him.

I think the word "lock" is being used rather loosely when you claim that Purify--a rookie free agent who is in competition with not only the veterans, but THREE receivers that the Bengals drafted ahead of him (and therefore initially thought were better).

Obviously, Simpson & Caldwell are locks to make it, but anytime you say in May that a rookie FA is a LOCK to make the team, you need to look up the word "lock" and see what it actually means.

Simpson, Caldwell, and Purify are locks to make it. Chatman will be next in line. Holt sucks. Urrutia will be oin the practice squad if another team dowsn't claim him.

I think the word "lock" is being used rather loosely when you claim that Purify--a rookie free agent who is in competition with not only the veterans, but THREE receivers that the Bengals drafted ahead of him (and therefore initially thought were better).

Obviously, Simpson & Caldwell are locks to make it, but anytime you say in May that a rookie FA is a LOCK to make the team, you need to look up the word "lock" and see what it actually means.

I am aware of the defintion of lock. And I am going on record. And just because they drafted Urrutia in the 7th round ahead of Purify does not necessrily mean they think Urrutia will be a better player. Maybe they just had reason to believe that Purify would be available to them after the draft. And maybe Urrutia would not be.Or maybe Purify had off-field questions that made them willing ot bring him in as a free agent but not wanting to use a draft pick.

Im with you. I dont think CJ will be playing for us this year, and if he does i doubt he will try very hard anyway. Definitly cut Chatman, hes never impressed me. TJ, Simpson, Caldwell, and Holt should all be locks, with Urrutia, Maxwell, and Purify competing for the last spot or 2. Id also expect us to try to get either Urrutia or Purify on our practice squad. They both have some real upside.

As much as I hate to admit this, Antonio Chapman will make the 53-man roster for 2 reasons. One, he is the only player on the current roster that has proven to have ability to retrun punts in the NFL (Other than Deltha O'Neal, who for whatever reason, isn't trusted on returns) and secondly, you VERY RARELY have rookie receivers that play the slot in the NFL, based purely on the adjustments and keys that the slot receivers need to make, dictated by defensive coverages, schemes and personnel. Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis probably run the most option routes in the NFL. If Chad isn't here, T.J. moves to the "X" receiver to take advantage of the open side of the field (opposite the strong safety and tight end) to take advantage of his play-making ability with one of the rookies at "Y" and Chatman in the slot on 3rd down and 3 receiver sets. Also, you need a player quick enough to beat the 3rd corner, who on most teams is the quickest and strongest (and sometimes best) CB. Even with those who argue that you can put the rookies on the outside it doesn't work because defenses will key on the middle and chance 1-on-1 on the outsides with the rookies. After this year and once the rookies become more experienced and possibly learn that position (Caldwell is a good candidate there), then you might see some changes. It is also hard to cut Holt because he's a starter on every kick team. I see the WR's shaking out like this:

T.J., Chatman, Holt, Caldwell, Simpson, Purify/Urrutia (whoever has the best camp and/or shows the ability to play teams, most likely Purify)

I'm thinking like you guys, Chad who ??

- Sure the season and even training camp are months away, but I'm content with moving on without Chad considering the wealth of new talent waiting in the wings now.

1. Jerome Simpson - I think they drafted him because if he pans out, he'll be like Carl Pickens. Same track background, same huge hands, and deceptive speed and strength.

2. Andre Caldwell - Hard to pass up on a guy that runs 4.37 !! - He can obviously catch considering he holds all the Florida receiving records, but I think he's a little more ahead of the curve than Simpson and offers an immediate threat in the return game. ( Previous broken leg or not) Sorry Dre'

3. Maurice Purify - As athletically gifted as any wide receiver in the draft. If not for the off the field issues, he'd be a 1st rounder. 6'3 224 lbs., sub 4.5 speed and extremely dominant in a "piss" poor offense. I'm leaning towards him beating out Urrutia.

4. Mario Urrutia - He has the size and decent enough hands, but lacks deep speed and probably more of a developmental player now. Hard to see him having the potential impact that Purify could.

5. Antonio Chatman - can somebody hire " Tonya Harding " so she can go ahead and get Chatmans' leg injury for the '08 season out of the way already ??? - You know and I know that he won't make it out of training camp if he's not injured during the OTA's before then.

T.J. is the only mainstay. I'm hoping they resign him for a 4 year deal, but I think Cincy' is more apt to replace him than sign him long term.

Glen Holt is a possiblity to make the roster as is Doug Gabriel, but if we're cleaning house, might as well get rid of the "Never-was" as well as the "Used to be's".

I'm thinking like you guys, Chad who ??

- Sure the season and even training camp are months away, but I'm content with moving on without Chad considering the wealth of new talent waiting in the wings now.

1. Jerome Simpson - I think they drafted him because if he pans out, he'll be like Carl Pickens. Same track background, same huge hands, and deceptive speed and strength.

2. Andre Caldwell - Hard to pass up on a guy that runs 4.37 !! - He can obviously catch considering he holds all the Florida receiving records, but I think he's a little more ahead of the curve than Simpson and offers an immediate threat in the return game. ( Previous broken leg or not) Sorry Dre'

3. Maurice Purify - As athletically gifted as any wide receiver in the draft. If not for the off the field issues, he'd be a 1st rounder. 6'3 224 lbs., sub 4.5 speed and extremely dominant in a "piss" poor offense. I'm leaning towards him beating out Urrutia.

4. Mario Urrutia - He has the size and decent enough hands, but lacks deep speed and probably more of a developmental player now. Hard to see him having the potential impact that Purify could.

5. Antonio Chatman - can somebody hire " Tonya Harding " so she can go ahead and get Chatmans' leg injury for the '08 season out of the way already ??? - You know and I know that he won't make it out of training camp if he's not injured during the OTA's before then.

T.J. is the only mainstay. I'm hoping they resign him for a 4 year deal, but I think Cincy' is more apt to replace him than sign him long term.

Glen Holt is a possiblity to make the roster as is Doug Gabriel, but if we're cleaning house, might as well get rid of the "Never-was" as well as the "Used to be's".

Awesome post! I agree with most everything you said here. I think Holt, in his first REAL action, did decent and showed toughness, good hands and the ability to do some positive things in the return game if he can hold onto the ball. He also is a pretty good gunner on Special Teams, but I think they're set there with Kilmer/Lynch, H.Jones and many say that Kyries Hebert is one of the best special teamers of all-time in the CFL. Living in Louisville, I saw almost every game that Urrutia played in college and will tell you he has talent but is EXTREMELY raw. As a freshman and sophomore, he dominated the Big East and would have put up some better numbers if Petrino had stayed and without the turf toe that hampered him all year. That said, I have also seen Purify and he will make the team over Urrutia. He reminds me of Roy Williams of the Lions and every bit as physical. I am not the biggest Chatman fan, either and I hope they can find someone to replace him. I have never been a fan of 5'8'' receivers, though, but I remember the game in which he and Brett Favre almost dominated the Bengals in a game that was saved by a fan stealing the ball from Favre at the end. I'm not sure he's the same type of player anymore with the injuries, but if he's healthy, he's at least proven. I think the Simpson/Pickens comparison is valid, with Simpson faster and more athletic than Pickens ever was. I agree that Caldwell will be impact player right away and I see him as the eventual replacement for Chad; He has a lot of the same type abilities and may be even faster and surely bigger. The fact that he set a lot of records in Florida is impressive, if you think back to all of the great Florida receivers over the past 20 years and the fact that he played with only average QB's, IMO, in Leak and Tebow.

Based on what has transpired, I think CJ will sit and be shut-out.

Didn't lance Briggs ask for a trade and say he never wanted to play for the bears again? didn't he end up playing and then signing a long term deal?

Chad will not give up 8million dollars to sit all season more so since he'd have to pay some of his money back..When it comes to missing out on some major cash chad will show.

Exactly, and in addition to the money, Let's not forget...Chad Loves To Play The Game...He didn't get the trade he wanted, but the guy will

show up, he Loves the game too much to sit out.

1 last thing to Chad.....You can't make the SportsCenter plays of the week from your couch at home, and we all know how much you love

being in the spotlight.

Yes,Marvin called his bluff. The bluff was the threat to sit out. I dont see Chad sitting out. If he plays and causes problems his trade value and playing time will go down along with his age going up.

Bengals hold all the cards.

Kudos to Mikey Boy ????