Suprise Draft Suggestion!

Clackwoods

I have heard all the talk about Defense and the Offensive line! If we get to number nine and Ellis and Dorsey are gone and the coach's aren't sold on Rivers lets trade down. Once we trade down we need to select Johnathen Stewart from Oregan. Rudi is getting old, he is 30. That is grandpa status for a RB. We trade down, we can get our rb and maybe pick up another linebacker. If the football gods are shining down on us McFadden is there at 9 and we trade our pick to the Cowboys for their two and pick Stewart and Connor to fill two big needs. Also, since I know everyone will say we need a wr and OL well we can get OL in the second and WR in the third or we can get that gaurd from Virginia in the first instead of Connor and then get another LB in the second. I don't know, just hadn't heard it from anyone so I am throwing us drafting a RB out there!

PS: I read an article that compared Stewart to L.T. potential wise

I have heard all the talk about Defense and the Offensive line! If we get to number nine and Ellis and Dorsey are gone and the coach's aren't sold on Rivers lets trade down. Once we trade down we need to select Johnathen Stewart from Oregan. Rudi is getting old, he is 30. That is grandpa status for a RB. We trade down, we can get our rb and maybe pick up another linebacker. If the football gods are shining down on us McFadden is there at 9 and we trade our pick to the Cowboys for their two and pick Stewart and Connor to fill two big needs. Also, since I know everyone will say we need a wr and OL well we can get OL in the second and WR in the third or we can get that gaurd from Virginia in the first instead of Connor and then get another LB in the second. I don't know, just hadn't heard it from anyone so I am throwing us drafting a RB out there!

If the Bengals are indeed intent on grabbing a RB at that point, IMHO it should be Rashard Mendenhall.

HBP_0701.jpg

I'd rather not see the first pick used on a guy who comes pre-injured, so that pushes Stewart and Merling off my list. Maybe Quentin Groves as well, word just came out he had heart surgery last month.

I think the success rate with Groves' sort of surgery is fairly high, so if he drops to the 3rd I'd probably grab him.

But to the OP - I don't think you're the only one who's questioned Rudi's future, not by a mile. As far as trading down if the studs are gone by 9 - I'd agree, but it takes a partner to dance, and I don't think anyone's going to be fighting for that # 9 pick in the good ones are gone.

Take a look at the member mocks and you'll see that I suggested the Bengals take Stewart at #9 over a month ago (prior to Stewart's surgery), and got nowhere. People on this board are stuck on the idea that if the big name defenders are gone that we should draft an OT. I think sometimes they forget there is more than one pick in the draft. Also they don't seem to remember that Levi, Willie, Whitworth, and Andrews are all considered OT and 3 of them are getting elite money already. Why on God's earth would anyone think its a good idea to spend so much on one position? People forget that a great RB can open up the passing game and make 3rd down a lot easier to convert, not to mention run the clock when you have the lead late in a game.

Take a look at the member mocks and you'll see that I suggested the Bengals take Stewart at #9 over a month ago (prior to Stewart's surgery), and got nowhere. People on this board are stuck on the idea that if the big name defenders are gone that we should draft an OT. I think sometimes they forget there is more than one pick in the draft. Also they don't seem to remember that Levi, Willie, Whitworth, and Andrews are all considered OT and 3 of them are getting elite money already. Why on God's earth would anyone think its a good idea to spend so much on one position? People forget that a great RB can open up the passing game and make 3rd down a lot easier to convert, not to mention run the clock when you have the lead late in a game.

Why an OT if the D is gone? Because...

1) Willie's living on borrowed time, Levi's been injured lately, and Whitworth and Andrews are slated as G. Don't know/care what they're 'considered', they're playing G. We could absolutely use a stud OT.

2) There aren't any RBs beside McFadden that consistently grade at the #9 pick, and I don't like the idea of reaching half a round for one.

3) Spending on a good O-line is a pretty solid option if you have about $100M invested in a QB.

4) A fantastic back behind a crappy line will never be as good as a decent back behind a great line. Games are won in the trenches.

5) We have 97 RBs on the roster now, for God's sake one of them should be able to play next year.

Even if we went RB, Mendenhall seems to grade better. And I'd be inclined to grab Harvey over either one, maybe Rivers. I'm still praying for Ellis, though.

Let's just keep the fingers crossed that one of those DT's are still there. Picks ahead of us they do have question marks at some area especially at QB & CB. Sooner or later the Gods will look down upon us Bengal fans, especially with the luck we have had with the draft (ex Pollack). I will not even think of anything else other than Dorsey & or Ellis right now.

My thought on OT, we do have tackles in place that can protect Mr Palmer, we have time to work a 2nd or worst case a 3rd rounder in that area of need. Stay the course Defense

I am sick of watching backs run right up the middle on us gaining 5+ yards.... especially those 3 rd down plays on our defense....

Keep the fingers crossed.

Why an OT if the D is gone? Because...

1) Willie's living on borrowed time, Levi's been injured lately, and Whitworth and Andrews are slated as G. Don't know/care what they're 'considered', they're playing G. We could absolutely use a stud OT.

2) There aren't any RBs beside McFadden that consistently grade at the #9 pick, and I don't like the idea of reaching half a round for one.

3) Spending on a good O-line is a pretty solid option if you have about $100M invested in a QB.

4) A fantastic back behind a crappy line will never be as good as a decent back behind a great line. Games are won in the trenches.

5) We have 97 RBs on the roster now, for God's sake one of them should be able to play next year.

Even if we went RB, Mendenhall seems to grade better. And I'd be inclined to grab Harvey over either one, maybe Rivers. I'm still praying for Ellis, though.

I guarantee the Bengals do not take an OT or DE at #9. Like I said earlier they have too much money already tied up in those 2 positions that they would not spend another $10mil for someone to ride the pine for at least a year. I addition the only reason Stewart is no longer graded as high is due to the surgery he had. Admittedly most teams would not like to spend the #p pick on a RB recovering from surgery, which is why I would say if the Bengals did draft a RB at #9 it would be Mendenhall. I still think Stewart is the better back though.

There's a lot of talk around Pittsburgh that the Steelers are hoping to get Stewart and will then let Davenport go. I'm seriously hoping that that does not happen. I think he would look good in stripes ... which means I suspect the Bengals would have to move no lower than about 20 to ensure he is not taken ahead of them at that point.

I guarantee the Bengals do not take an OT or DE at #9. Like I said earlier they have too much money already tied up in those 2 positions that they would not spend another $10mil for someone to ride the pine for at least a year. I addition the only reason Stewart is no longer graded as high is due to the surgery he had. Admittedly most teams would not like to spend the #p pick on a RB recovering from surgery, which is why I would say if the Bengals did draft a RB at #9 it would be Mendenhall. I still think Stewart is the better back though.

Right, because they've got pratically nothing invested at RB. :lmao:

In any event, they need an OL to *play*, not ride the pine. If you think Willie and Levi are playing anywhere near 32 whole games together, I want what you're smoking.

They need DE help still, I'm not seeing Odom as the long-term answer. As far as RB, they're too replaceable unless they can catch really well to justify a pick that high. I'm confident that we can get a decent back later if we have to, who can run through big holes opened by a good line.

As for Stewart...forget it. We have 3 high-priced injured RBs now, I have zero interest in acquiring a 4th.

I still hope this ends up being completely academic, as I'd like to see Ellis.

Right, because they've got pratically nothing invested at RB. :lmao:

In any event, they need an OL to *play*, not ride the pine. If you think Willie and Levi are playing anywhere near 32 whole games together, I want what you're smoking.

They need DE help still, I'm not seeing Odom as the long-term answer. As far as RB, they're too replaceable unless they can catch really well to justify a pick that high. I'm confident that we can get a decent back later if we have to, who can run through big holes opened by a good line.

As for Stewart...forget it. We have 3 high-priced injured RBs now, I have zero interest in acquiring a 4th.

I still hope this ends up being completely academic, as I'd like to see Ellis.

If we are going to draft an OL then we need to cut Willie and sign Stacey long term. Obviously Andrews is one OT of the future, otherwise they would have never given him seven million to stay. How can you say Odom isn't long term answer? lol We signed him for what like five years, that sounds pretty long term to me. Everyone on the planet knows we need a DT and linebacker, which you said. To think of drafting anything else is nonsense. If we really need OL protection then you spend that in the later rounds. We can get a good RB in round 3 if we need it and a good wr in round 3. We don't need a franchise wr cuz we do have TJ. He has at least three great years left in him. It comes down to use getting defense and hoping that Carson can carry the offense no matter who is out there.

My opinion on OT is you either get'em early or be prepared to draft a backup...

...or spend several years developing the guy, a la Stacy. But yeah, top-flight OTs are usually in short supply, which I think is why you see teams regularly reach somewhat to draft them, like the Cards did with Brown last year and the Bengals did with Levi in '02.

IMO, how much of that happens this year will be the biggest determining factor in whether one of the big defensive names slips to us. Jake Long is a lock to go in the top 10 -- probably as No. 1 or 2. And at least one, if not more, of the quartet of Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert and Jeff Otah, should go before our pick. Dolphins, Rams, Chiefs, Pats and Ravens all have serious o-line needs.

Edited to add: some good stuff on success rates for offensive linemen from Dan Pompei.

If the elite Dlineman are gone at 9, go with the LB from USC. NO to the RB's. Several teams are useing undrafted players effectively there. NO to OT's. We already have 4.

WE REALLY NEED A CENTER THOUGH! Girl-chick is stinking bad. I guess there are no Centers worth a high Rd 1 pick.

What about drafting one of the top OT's and then moving Whit to Center?

If the elite Dlineman are gone at 9, go with the LB from USC. ..... What about drafting one of the top OT's and then moving Whit to Center?

If we go OL, I think Brandon Albert brings the most bang for the buck - can play either tackle or guard, left or right, and smart enough to learn center.

Rivers is over-hyped by the media (& a few on this board) and will be available at the top of round 2 !!!

Whitworth moves to center? I can't see it for any number of reasons...starting with him being 6'7". In fact, I think he'd instantly become the tallest center in the NFL. More likely in my opinion would be shifting Bobbie Williams to OC, a move I don't support but could see happening if Ghiacuic was seriously injured. Williams has played the pivot in emergencies, and performed very well. Best, he's said he prepares for the role every offseason by including snapping drills in his workouts at least once a week.

Whitworth moves to center? I can't see it for any number of reasons...starting with him being 6'7". In fact, I think he'd instantly become the tallest center in the NFL. More likely in my opinion would be shifting Bobbie Williams to OC, a move I don't support but could see happening if Ghiacuic was seriously injured. Williams has played the pivot in emergencies, and performed very well. Best, he's said he prepares for the role every offseason by including snapping drills in his workouts at least once a week.

it would also make a spot for our franchised player if big willie remains healthy in that time.

Rivers is over-hyped by the media (& a few on this board) and will be available at the top of round 2 !!!

Is this a joke? Rivers is the best LB in this years draft,I don't see how its overhyping him when most say he's just a safe pick who will be a good pro.

He's not expected to be the next LT.

I'm curious, will there be a prize awarded to the poster who says the dumbest thing about Keith Rivers?

If there is, I'd like to award it. :lol:

Is this a joke? Rivers is the best LB in this years draft,I don't see how its overhyping him when most say he's just a safe pick who will be a good pro.

He's not expected to be the next LT.

Kieth Rivers is a weak-side linebacker in the 4 - 3, without alot of pass coverage experience. He is not a SAM, MIKE, or TED in the 3-4. He's definitely not a rush linebacker.

I happen to think he'll be a good WOLB, but probably not as good as Kieth Bullocks. His misfortune is that he's a throwback stuck in the 21st century.

We'll just have to wait 'n' see. Personally, to run Coach Z's 'hybrid' defense, I'd rather spend a 2nd on Avril, a 3rd on Howard, or a 4th on Keglar.