will Cincinnati always be a Reds town or...

KYBENGALFAN

do ya think, given the excitement of Marvin Lewis coming to town, that the Bengals will become the TEAM in Cincy? Baseball and Cincinnati have always been an unbeatable combination, but I personally think the Bengals rise will eventually take the thunder from the Reds. what do y'all think?

do ya think, given the excitement of Marvin Lewis coming to town, that the Bengals will become the TEAM in Cincy? Baseball and Cincinnati have always been an unbeatable combination, but I personally think the Bengals rise will eventually take the thunder from the Reds. what do y'all think?

Did it do that in 1983 & 1988 ????

To a degree. If and when the Bengals string together a few consecutive seasons of playoff appearances or Super Bowl wins (God willing!), then I believe the Reds would definitely be playing second fiddle to the Bengals. In fact the time has never been riper for this to happen. It all hinges on the teams level of success this upcoming season! B)

But aren't the two sports played at different times of the year - baseball in the summer, football in the winter ?

Do the two not attract different "types" of supporters with a marginal fanbase that is keen on both ??

Excuse my ingornace but I'm just comparing it to football & cricket in the UK whereby cricket is the summer sport and has it's own fan base, football is the winter sport and has it's own fan base and there are a few sports enthusiasts that watch both.

But aren't the two sports played at different times of the year - baseball in the summer, football in the winter ?

Well the end of the baseball season overlaps the beginning of the football season by a few months, depending on if the baseball team makes the post season play, then it can extend even longer.

I was speaking in generalized terms as far as which team is more popular at the moment. Normally people (as I am) are fans of both teams, but not always.

The Reds and Cincinnati have had a partnership for about 128 years, the Bengals only 36. I think there's more excitement when it comes to the Bengals right now, but I believe there's deeper tradition and (maybe) loyalty for our Reds. Ever notice there's more outrage with what Linder has been doing with the Reds as opposed to what Brown's done to the Bengals?

QUOTE (Scottishbengal @ May 13 2004, 05:24 AM)

What happened in 1983?

The problem is that the Bengals have never been a consistent Super Bowl contender. After their 1981 SB season the NFL went on strike and the Bengals had a bad first round playoff loss. They followed that with a 7-9 season in 1983. After the 1988 SB season they went 8-8 and 9-7, losing in the second round to Oakland in 2000. We haven't had a winning season since.

I believe if we had 4-5 year playoff run and a Superbowl victory that the Bengals would no doubt take over as the fans favorite. The Reds brought championships to this city, and an identity. Names like Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, and Ken Griffey will always be associated with the city. St. Louis has always been a baseball town but I bet that Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner are the most famous athletes there now.

Ive never seen so much offseason hype over the Bengals as I have this year.

I think you have to contribute that to a massive shift in policy on the business end of things and obvious improvment within the Bengals; 13 years absent. I also believe there's more excitement with the Bengals, but I think some of that has to do with the fact we are actually fans to a real NFL team for the first time in 13 years, and the cheers, which have been stored for so long, are coming out in powerful waves. That's my best thoughts on it...

I would still bet that you would see more people wearing Faulk or Warner jerseys than Pujols baseball jerseys. Hopefully Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson will become as popular nationally as Manning, Harrison, Moss, Holmes, etc.

Baseball is the national pass time, and it was born in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is, always has been, and always will be a baseball town.

The Bengals have their loyal following and I've been one of them since they came into the league, but ..... I've been a Reds fan literally since I can remember.

If you want to, .... compare the the first game of the season for each team. The Bengals sold out in time to prevent the blackout .......... The Reds sold out in 15 minutes.

baseball is boring.

A game of inches that is measured in innings consisting of three outs ...... no time limit ( only organized sport that is not measured in time ) where the outcome of the game hinges on each pitch and each hit. The constantly evolving strategy depending on what has just occurred. The shifting of the players in the outfield and infield and in the lineup.

It's a microcosm of life condensed into 9 innings with all the elations and heartbreak .... expectations and crushed hopes. It's no wonder that we're drawn in and mesmerized. It's our life and culture being acted out for us in front of our eyes.

" Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs.

Let us leave our close rooms ..... The game of ball is glorious."

Walt Whitman 1846

Boring ?????? Only to the uninitiated.

St. Louis has always been a baseball town but I bet that Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner are the most famous athletes there now.

Put both of them in one public facility, and put Mark McGwire in another and then count the people .... and he not only still doesn't own the homerun record, he isn't even playing anymore.

St. Louis has always been a baseball town but I bet that Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner are the most famous athletes there now.

Put both of them in one public facility, and put Mark McGwire in another and then count the people .... and he not only still doesn't own the homerun record, he isn't even playing anymore.

The funny thing is--Mark McGwire's still on TV marketing stuff like he's still playing. In St. Louis, Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner can't hold a candle to McGwire.

Same here in Cincy--there's no way in hell that if you take 4 of the most popular Bengal players and put them up against Morgan, Rose, Bench, or Perez.

The point that Redsfan makes about tickets selling on opening day is the most valid argument here.

Sure the Reds may suck this year--but they still sold out opening day faster than the Rolling Stones in their heyday.

• 2 weeks later...