Sapp retires

Bengals1

Mike Greenberg reported on ESPN just now that Warren Sapp has told Al Davis he was done.

I still wish we'd have signed him back then... <_<

x2

Not me the Bengals said that if they would have signed Sapp they probably would not have been able to sign both T.J. and Rudi; and at given time they would have chosen Rudi over T.J. so basically T.J. would not be a Bengal at this point.

Mike Greenberg reported on ESPN just now that Warren Sapp has told Al Davis he was done.

x2

Not me the Bengals said that if they would have signed Sapp they probably would not have been able to sign both T.J. and Rudi; and at given time they would have chosen Rudi over T.J. so basically T.J. would not be a Bengal at this point.

Even admitting you are right and they would be gone..without TJ and Rudi we would have how many championships?

x2

Even admitting you are right and they would be gone..without TJ and Rudi we would have how many championships?

Minus T.J and Rudi and plus Sapp would we have won a championship? Hell no, T.J. still has years left we would have been in search of another wide receiver and a defensive tacklte to take his place at this point. If we are going to sign a free agent for all that money please let him be on the other side of 30.

I don't buy that line for a second. SoP is always coming up with excuses for why he can't spend money. This just smells like another one. <_<

Warren Sapp takes off uniform.

Warren Sapp takes a long shower.

Warren Sapp dresses casually in jeans and a Hugo Boss shirt. Nice shoes.

Warren Sapp spends the better part of an hour saying goodbye to his fellow players.

Warren Sapp spends twenty minutes or so saying goodbye to the office staff.

Warren Sapp leaves the building.

Warren Sapp sheds a tear. Then another.

Warren Sapp walks slowly to his car, enters, and spends a moment or two reflecting.

Warren Sapp's long and distinquished NFL career has come to an end.

Warren Sapp fires up a huge joint and slowly pulls out of the parking lot.

:sure:

Warren Sapp fires up a huge joint and slowly pulls out of the parking lot.

Don't Bogart that joint my friend, pass it along..... :sure:

Good Lord. Let someone break out a drink or a doobie in this place, and you're there lickety spliff! :rolleyes::lol:

I've never been able to stomach Sapp. I can't stand his ass and the league will be better off without him. Hall of Fame??? HELL NO. I'll drive to Canton myself and ruin the whole deal. When he starts crying and trying to act like he gives a damn I'll yell out and call him a p***y cry baby fat ass over rated loser.

Wow some bengal fans are really bitter about sapp not signing with us and I don't blame him.

The guy was a awesome football player and not not a bad person all the negativity against him is uncalled for.

I've never been able to stomach Sapp. I can't stand his ass and the league will be better off without him. Hall of Fame??? HELL NO. I'll drive to Canton myself and ruin the whole deal. When he starts crying and trying to act like he gives a damn I'll yell out and call him a p***y cry baby fat ass over rated loser.'

The guys had 96 sacks as a DT that's pretty impressive,sapp in his prime was a beast.

Wow some bengal fans are really bitter about sapp not signing with us and I don't blame him.

The guy was a awesome football player and not not a bad person all the negativity against him is uncalled for.

I've never been able to stomach Sapp. I can't stand his ass and the league will be better off without him. Hall of Fame??? HELL NO. I'll drive to Canton myself and ruin the whole deal. When he starts crying and trying to act like he gives a damn I'll yell out and call him a p***y cry baby fat ass over rated loser.'

The guys had 96 sacks as a DT that's pretty impressive,sapp in his prime was a beast.

He played us for a better contract, so some of that bitterness comes from that. I can't argue with his sack totals but he's no saint either.

He played us for a better contract, so some of that bitterness comes from that. I can't argue with his sack totals but he's no saint either.

Aside from churchboy Jon Kitna, (who couldn't predict the sun coming up in the morning) who is? :rolleyes:

I'm glad he didn't come here. I could care less he played it off to get a better contract elswhere. I just can not stand him as a human being and will toast my beer to my TV when Sportscenter reports his fat sorry ass has done passed on.

I'm glad he didn't come here. I could care less he played it off to get a better contract elswhere. I just can not stand him as a human being and will toast my beer to my TV when Sportscenter reports his fat sorry ass has done passed on.

Damn!! Isn't that a wee bit harsh? It's not like he killed defenseless dogs or something! :o

No, he didn't. The Bengals offered Sapp a 4-year contract paying slightly more than 16 million. By comparison he signed a 7-year contract paying much more overall, but only 16 million in the first 4 years....which is all he'll get now that he's retired.

Had Sapp signed with the Bengals he not only would have made more money...he would have lost far fewer games.

Damn!! Isn't that a wee bit harsh? It's not like he killed defenseless dogs or something! :o

A convicted dogfighter is a rung up on the ladder than this oxygen theif.

No, he didn't. The Bengals offered Sapp a 4-year contract paying slightly more than 16 million. By comparison he signed a 7-year contract paying much more overall, but only 16 million in the first 4 years....which is all he'll get now that he's retired.

Had Sapp signed with the Bengals he not only would have made more money...he would have lost far fewer games.

It's not always about the money. I may be wrong, but I think I recall something to the effect that he was getting very little play in the market until we made our offer. Then all of a sudden he gets the deal from Oakland. Marvin had some telling comments in a press conference shortly after Sapp signed with Oakland. I think he said that he knew Sapp wasn't really interested Cincinnati since they could never convince him to come to town even though he kept promising Marvin that he was ready to sign during the course of numerous phone conversations during that week.

At the time of the signing the overall number was better than the Bengals which is all people will remember since reportedly the Bengals are cheap. I really doubt that he expected to be retired at this point so I am sure he wasn't planning on leaving that money on the table. And in hindsight he might have lost fewer games but I think the Raiders were only a year or so removed from the Super Bowl at that point.

From March 19, 2004

"MIAMI (AP) - Warren Sapp is ``very close'' to signing a four-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals, his agent Drew Rosenhaus said Friday night, potentially ending his nine-year run as one of the cornerstones of the Tampa Bay defence.

The defensive tackle had been in negotiations with at least seven other NFL teams, Rosenhaus said, since not being immediately re-signed by the Buccaneers. The deal could be done by Saturday, he said.

``They've definitely become the front runner,'' Rosenhaus told The Associated Press. ``It could be just a matter of hours.''

Sapp is not in Cincinnati overseeing the potential deal, but may travel to meet the team soon, Rosenhaus said."

Then the next day (March 20) it is announced that he signs with the Raiders. Hmmmmm.

At the time of the signing the overall number was better than the Bengals which is all people will remember since reportedly the Bengals are cheap. I really doubt that he expected to be retired at this point so I am sure he wasn't planning on leaving that money on the table. And in hindsight he might have lost fewer games but I think the Raiders were only a year or so removed from the Super Bowl at that point.

The Bengals offer was not only better than the Raiders over the first 4 years of the contract, but immediately after the deal most observers looked at the terms and agreed Sapp had, in all reality, signed an ego stroking contract that looked better in the press than under the harsh light of reality. In fact, Hoosier and I had a long running debate about phantom years and fake money that probably continues to this very day. Regardless, I remember a jilted Mike Brown actually predicting at the time that Sapp wouldn't play beyond four years and as a result would make less money....which is exactly what happened.

In the end I took seriously one of the remarks that Sapp made flippantly...that he couldn't bring himself to "put on that helmet" and jumped at the chance to finish his career playing in silver and black....under the banner of yet another pirate logo.

Whether the Bengals deal was actually better probably wasn't that important to them because I do believe that they played us into getting an "acceptable" deal with someone else that turned out to be the Raiders.

Prior to our offer, things were not looking too good for Mr. Sapp. So after getting turned down by Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor who also "really wanted to play for Marvin", Sapp bore the brunt of my frustration when he spurned/used us in the FA process.

On paper going to Oakland was a good thing for him at the time. He seemed to fit in with that franchise and he had a marketable name to go along with a higher profile team than the Bengals so I can't say I blame him.