Sporting News Bengals Year in Review

Bengals1

Posted: January 1, 2008

Chick Ludwig

For Sporting News

OFFSEASON PLANS: The team needs to be able the run the ball better, stop the run more effectively and cut down its turnovers. The lack of consistency in all phases placed a heavy burden on QB Carson Palmer, whose numbers (26 TDs, 20 INTs) reflected the club's rollercoaster season. The team must take a serious run at signing Titans free agent DT Albert Haynesworth and use the draft to beef up the offensive and defensive lines. The team wants to re-sign several unrestricted free agents, including MLB Landon Johnson, WLB Dhani Jones and FS Madieu Williams. All display outstanding work ethic and are committed to making the squad better. RE Justin Smith would be welcome back, but not for the outrageous price ($8.6 million) he was paid with the franchise tag. RB Rudi Johnson, DT John Thornton, CB Deltha O'Neal and SS Dexter Jackson are candidates to become salary-cap casualties. RB Kenny Watson has been outstanding as a rusher and receiver, and the return of Chris Perry and Kenny Irons makes Johnson expendable. It will be a difficult decision to let Johnson go because he's so durable. But his $3.2 million salary is a heavy burden for an aging warrior who has taken a pounding over the years.

LT Levi Jones and RT Willie Anderson endured injury-plagued seasons. They're tremendous players when healthy, and they still have some mileage left, but how much? RT Stacy Andrews is more than an insurance policy. He's capable of starting almost anywhere, and the club needs him back to fortify the O-line if Anderson can't fully recover from knee and foot injuries. It's time for DE Frostee Rucker to prove he can complement Robert Geathers in the pass-rushing department. Rookies Chinedum Ndukwe and Marvin White are the future at safety. They're just scratching the surface of their potential and should emerge as dynamic playmakers next season. The special teams coverage came on strong late in the year, but the team must find a kick returner who strikes fear in the opposition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't say I really disagree with any of this. - B1 <_<

The special teams coverage came on strong late in the year, but the team must find a kick returner who strikes fear in the opposition.

Huh. Ol' Chick must feel that returners like Devin Hester are widely available. :rolleyes:

Just an addenda, a couple notes buried in the Enquirer today:

Linebacker Landon Johnson, one of a dozen unrestricted free agents, said Monday that the Bengals and his agent have talked contract a second time.

Cornerback Deltha O'Neal, who has asked to be released with one year remaining on his contract, hopes a contract termination would come sooner than later and allow him to sign with another team.

Just an addenda, a couple notes buried in the Enquirer today:

Linebacker Landon Johnson, one of a dozen unrestricted free agents, said Monday that the Bengals and his agent have talked contract a second time.

Cornerback Deltha O'Neal, who has asked to be released with one year remaining on his contract, hopes a contract termination would come sooner than later and allow him to sign with another team.

Good riddance.

The more comments from Marvin I read the more it figures that Landon and Madieu come back, considering they are the kind of 'players who love football' type guys w/o character issues. Justin fits that bill too, and if he comes back cheaper then great, but i fear it wont be cheap enough for me to like the move. Deltha is as good as gone imho. All this talk of solidifying the run game also makes locking up Stacey long term seem very probable.

I don't know what to think about Rudi. For one he was terrible this year, but he was hurt. He's overpaid even when he is healthy, but he's a good guy who doesnt deserve to be cut amd this is his first bad season. I'd like for his contract to be renegociated and lowered, but I fear Rudi would be insulted and demand a trade or to be cut. Basically I wouldnt be surprised if he stays or goes.

Well there is no doubt that changes need to be made on both sides of the ball and we are off to a good start by dismissing Bresnahan. We simply cannot be a defense that relies solely on turnovers, the NFL is too good week in/week out, we must be solid enough to stop opposing offenses by smash mouth hard nosed defense ie 3 and out!!! So here is my offseason plans if I were GM:

1) Allow Marvin to hire his coaches, I truly believe we will see Donnie Henderson as our new DEF. Cor! he did a good job while in NYJ and he will bring more fire and hard nosed play to the defense.

2)Free up Salary cap $$$ to be players in FA. IMHO these guys have shown they are expendible:

a)Dexter Jackson-old,injured, and we have replacements in Nduke/White...1.3mil savings

b)John Thornton-undersized,aging,and not worthy of the cap hit, we need to get bigger/younger.

c)Rudi Johnson-yes he has become injury prone, cant bust the big yardage, and simply we cannot afford to pay him 3.2 million for a 3yard average.

3)Players I would try to resign to reasonable market value contracts(MARKET VALUE)

A1)Resign TJ to a long term contract equal to the leagues top 10 salaries!!!!!

a)Justin Smith-solid 100 tackle guy, but needs help around him, but not worth more than 5 million per!

b)Madieu Williams-young, needs to regain form of rookie season, but is still worth keeping

c)Dhani Jones-good leader plays WLB spot well, solid tackler, can play 3-4,4-3

d)Stacy Andrews-excellent OL man, is pushing to start now!

e)Landon Johnson-solid LB plays multiple positions, and is consistant

f)Alex Stepanovich-steady center who I think is better than Ghiachic!

g)Glen Holt-good return man, steady 4-5reciever.

h)Deltha O'neal-no longer a starter, but nickle and dime man

i)Kyle larson-he has given stability to punt/kicking game/ST

4)Target Quality FREE AGENTS!

a)Albert Haynesworth-solid DT but can we land him...odds 10-15%

b)Michael Turner-speed RB....odds less than 10% someone will overpay!

c)Terrell Suggs-would be my #1 target as LB/DE but will he be franchised?

5)Draft BPA every round!!!

a)focus on needs DL/LB/OL/S/TE/WR