What's The Hardest Thing About Being A Bengal Fan?

BENGALTHEM

For me, it's the fact that... for over a decade, we have not been to the playoffs, or have had a winning record. Sure, we may have gone 8-8 a couple of times, but nothing to truly cheer about. We have always had individuals on past teams that have shined, but the team as a whole stunk. Bengal fans have seen it all. Whether it is bad luck and or bad moves. This franchise has a history like none other in the NFL. Kijana Carter, Akili Smith, Big Daddy, Copeland, Charles Fischer......it seems like I could go on and on. By the way, are we the only team that has a clause written into the contract of it's players about talk detrimental to the team? Certainly, Mike Brown has made questionable moves, and been cheap. If he wasnt, there wouldn't be a website dedicated to Mike Brown and is sucky ways.

Over this decade, I have seen the once proud Bengals ridiculed by the nation. The media has played cartoon music over Bengal highlights and in the past would only show the Bengals score but never show a single highlight. Chris Berman refers to us as the Bungles, everytime something bad happens. The Bengals were like the laughing stock of league. Its been so bad that I was beginning to think that both the fans and the players have been conditionalized to accept loosing. Ever ask what NFL players think of the Bengals?. Listen to what players like Keshawn Johnson and Shannon Sharpe say. When was the last time we have landed a big time free agent? Weekly NFL pools have people circling the other team as a win . The loosing even wears on our own players like Spikes and Dillion. This loosing is why we got morons like Michael Irving constantly talking negative about the Bengals. Here is a guy that got caught with coke and strippers............how does this guy even have a job? All of a sudden I am supposed to respect his football analysis. Irving sounds like a WWF character. Fake yet real, because he is really that ridculous.

Anyways the Bengals Fans are like none other. We always hold are own with other NFL fans. We've seen bad times for along time, yet here we are. Still standing strong and keeping the faith. Hoping one day we make it to the promise land. Are pain has been magnified so much, that the Bengals winning the superbowl is like the Red Sox winning the Wold Series. Cincinnati, and Bengal Fans all over would go nuts!

Sorry if I am rambling here but I am excited about this season. This is definately a turning point in this fanchise's history. The first being Mike Brown hiring Marvin Lewis over Coughlin. (whew) We are coming off an 8-8 season, it's Marvin's second season, new full time starting rb, new starting qb, a new Defense, good depth, a new field, new unis, one Sunday night football game at home,...........and one MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL GAME AT HOME!!!! Are you kidding me!! We didn't even go to the playoffs last year. So yea I am excited, the Bengals have finally given me something to cheer about.

WHO DEY!! :player:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread BENGALTHEM. The hardest thing was having to endure year after consecutive year of being the joke of the NFL. Marvin ended that last season, and will only continue to build on it THIS season. I expect great things and soon from the Bengals!!

Thank You Marvin!! :player:

I see having been a Bengals fan for some years as a "character building" experience.

Yep, we've been snubbed, scorned, mocked, abused, laughed at and humilated......but we've come through it, we as individuals are stronger, full of pride, more determined and happier, 'cos now it's time to enjoy life again. Now it's someone else's turn to play the turd in the pool for the next few years, (hopefully Cleveland).

The hardest thing about being a Bengals fan, for me anyway, is just the distance/cost involved in getting to a game, - but it could be worse couldn't it Kevnz !

I've met some really nice people, made some good friends and have had some great holidays because of being a Bengals fan. I wouldn't say it's been hard - it's been a privilige.

That said I really hate Nick Halling (Mr. Pittsburgh Steelers) on Sky TV for his open dislike of, and bias against, the Bengals - hence lack of TV appearances over the last decade and more !!!!

I wouldn't say that it's hard being a Bengal fan, it's just something that I do... My father had season tickets ever since I was young and taught me a thing or two about loyalty, not only about where you're from or the people around you, but the whole spectrum. I simply applied this to my love of my hometown and the sports teams associated with it. I hate like hell to hear something negative about any hometown team, (Especially the Bengals) and over the past 10 years, have delighted when they have upset a team (Any team was an upset then...) A fan is about loyalty and the love, regardless of what the record says at the end of the year. Here's hoping for another exciting year and if not, there's always next year, that's the great part of it all, you never know !!!

WHODEY

The hardest thing about being a Bengals fan, for me anyway, is just the distance/cost involved in getting to a game, - but it could be worse couldn't it Kevnz !

Amen brother...

The hardest thing.....You know, I hated the losing seasons, but it was never hard being a fan, I just bleed orange and black....Even dealing with my football fans friends wasn't that difficult...except maybe my friend that's a 49er fan :angry: The hardest has been hearing the media rip the team, cause I can't bust the cats on Sportscenter in the head if they get out of line and say the "b" word...That's also eluded to what our Scotsman said....Since moving to NZ it's hard as hell seeing the Bengals unless I'm watching the highlights (thank you NFL) on my crappy dialup modem (that I just got rid off....elcome to the wonderful world of broadband) Of course my wife said I can go see them when they make it to the superbowl, so I'll be going to a live game in a year or two :D

For me, Look I live in Georgia, so unless Cincy' comes down here, or I get vacation time during the season, I don't get to see the Bengals at all, so that's pretty hard.

2nd - Something that we all still fear as Bengals fans. - Mike Browns' continual control .

Yes he hired Marvin !

Yes the last 2 drafts appear to be better than the last 10 !

Yes you don't see his (Elmer Fudd) mug around the team anymore. - etc. etc. etc..

But 13 years of perpetual ridiculousness, has him the modern day professional sports version of the Boogey Man. :lol:

I think those of us who don't live in the Natti, or the general tri-state area truly know how hard it is to be a Bengals fan. I'm not trying to belittle the feelings or loyalty of those of you who live in SW OH/Northern KY etc. It's just as aggravating for you to hear Berman use the "B" word, or hear the Bengals constantly be made fun of by the national media. Living in Denver, I have been harassed on a regular basis by Broncos fans (and they're the cockiest sons of bitches you'll ever meet) for being a Bengals fan. When I wear my Bengals jacket to the grocery store, I can always count on getting at least a couple of looks of puzzlement. It's as if they're thinking, "WTF is he wearing that for? I wouldn't be caught dead showing support for such a loser team." At the same time, there are those who commend me for being loyal to a team that hasn't had a winning record in 13 years. And I think we ALL deserve to be commended. We've been through 13 years of football hell, and we're STILL here. We STILL love this team. Of course they are our home team, and that is to be expected, but it still hasn't been easy. I could very easily jump on the Donkeys bandwagon (like I have the Avs), but that just wouldn't be right.

Anyway, here's the point that I would like to make...to make it a little easier for those of us who have experienced the "Age of Helplessness," for the past 13 yrs. And I tell this to all my donkey friends who give me shiite. When it does happen, and I emphasize the word WHEN. When we finally win that superbowl in the next few years. When Marvin shows us that we haven't been cheering our team on in vain for all these years, it will be the sweetest, most gratifying moment that any sports fan could ever experience. Imagine being a Patriots fan and winning 2 superbowls in the past 3 years. How special is that? Yes it would be nice, but they'll never experience the same feeling that we will, when the Bengals win their first. Thirteen years of frustration will be vented in one moment. That's something that no other sports fan will ever experience (well, if there's a God that is). I can't wait...WHO DEY!!!!!!!

why have the bengals always been the "laughing stock" and not the cardinals or the lions? thats gay! :ph34r:

The early part of the 90's the Lions made the playoffs a number of times and were competative, it's only been in the last few years(the Millen era) The Cardinals have always sucked, they've been exiled out to the desert but they did make the playoffs a few years ago...The Bengals probably get a lot of flack cause they had a higher profile during the 80's...you know, how the mighty have fallen and all that....but I haven't seen a lot of hate come the Bengals way until the the free agency parity thing come along....the whole concept of any team competing had seemed to pass the team by. Plus it didn't help when ESPN was picking the Bengals to make a playoff run and then they went to crap and 2-14...I think they got pissed cause it made them look stupid cause here was Letterman and Leno ripping the team they picked to make the playoffs....

The hardest part for me being a Bengals fan since born, is having a brother who i am very close to, who is Dolphins fan, so imagine how he being sadist on me since kid, Bengals always have losing record and Dolphins always have winning record, so this year game on sunday night is the must win for Bengals to me.

The hardest part for me being a Bengals fan since born, is having a brother who i am very close to, who is Dolphins fan, so imagine how he being sadist on me since kid, Bengals always have losing record and Dolphins always have winning record, so this year game on sunday night is the must win for Bengals to me.

First off Dimster...welcome to the forums, and second...you'll be giving your brother a "wedgie" after the Bengals "fry the fish" in that upcoming game!! :player: :lol:

Hardest part for me is dealing with all the moronic Clowns fans. I wish I would see 1/2 the Bengals support as I see for the Clowns. And I do not live in Cl$v$l#nd. It is 3 1/2 hours away while Cincy is only 90 minutes. We need more loyal and loud fans. Fans like the ones who post on here. Hence my avatar of Wyche and his quote about where we live! That was the ultimate!

WHODEY!

chargers will be down there for a while....look what they did this year with their pick. Rivers and they have breese and mini me already. Rivers will suck. And they will waste the picks next year on things they do not need or on ppl from big conferences that had a few good games on tv to make it look great. chargers are the new b*ngles.

the hardest part of being a bengals fan is the ridicule i get from Titans fans, living here in western kentucky, about an hour or so northwest of Nashville (that's if you're driving 80 mph, and they do drive that here)... but I got it when i lived up near Chicago, too, where the Bears fans stick with their teams, despite the awful coaches they've had, like Wannstedt and the one they just got rid of (you know, the one who looked like a deer staring in the headlights of an oncoming Mack Truck), well, anyway, I am a life long Bengal fans, and it will get our time to laugh at all others when the Bengals return to the Big Game, I say in three or four years... I traveled to Cincy last weekend to pick out my seats for season tickets at PBS and all I got from my friends and my wife's friends was , WHAT, BENGALS? SEASON TICKETS? ARE YOU CRAZY?? Crazy, maybe, but devoted.. WHO DEY.. GO BENGALS and Thanks Marvin Lewis for coming to CINCY... 2004 will be a great year indeed.. :player:

Miami Fl here, a city where maybe 1/2 the people are transplants from somewhere else.

And many are still fans of their home town team.

I went to a Monday night Dolphins/Jets game, in the Orange Bowl, a number of years ago that almost turned into a full fleaged roit.

You could look around and see 3 or 4 fist fights going on at about any time durn the game.

At work we have people who are fans for about every damn team you can think of.

Which actually is a lot of fun, everybody knows each other and knows who your team is.

We don't have fist fights at work but we do have a lot of "ragging" on one another about our teams.

Believe it or not the worst ragging I ever took was not about the Bengals losing games but over a Draft.

I had been HYPING about now the Bengals were going to have a Shut-Down CB with Tory Vincent and bah bah bah......for like a week.

Draft day comes and we take....KLINGLER .....WTF ????

I was still hearing "Klingler jokes" for over a year after it.

I can tell you one thing about this years Bengals.

Not everybody thinks all that highly of the team, but almost Everybody has High Respect for ML.

Personally I See The Bengals Winning their division this year.

Play Offs in 04 !

Miami Fl here, a city where maybe 1/2 the people are transplants from somewhere else.

And many are still fans of their home town team.

I went to a Monday night Dolphins/Jets game, in the Orange Bowl, a number of years ago that almost turned into a full fleaged roit.

You could look around and see 3 or 4 fist fights going on at about any time durn the game.

At work we have people who are fans for about every damn team you can think of.

Which actually is a lot of fun, everybody knows each other and knows who your team is.

We don't have fist fights at work but we do have a lot of "ragging" on one another about our teams.

Believe it or not the worst ragging I ever took was not about the Bengals losing games but over a Draft.

I had been HYPING about now the Bengals were going to have a Shut-Down CB with Tory Vincent and bah bah bah......for like a week.

Draft day comes and we take....KLINGLER .....WTF ????

I was still hearing "Klingler jokes" for over a year after it.

I can tell you one thing about this years Bengals.

Not everybody thinks all that highly of the team, but almost Everybody has High Respect for ML.

Personally I See The Bengals Winning their division this year.

Play Offs in 04 !

You've come to the right place. :D

The hardest thing for me was when the Bengals started into their tailspin so many years ago, how quickly the fanbase disappeared into the woodwork.

Until I was the only one in my area "who claimed" to be a Bengal Fan! No one to talk football with. No one to share in the few victories, and many defeats. I continued to follow and cheer on my Bengals much to the amusement of my co-workers and (uhhhhhhh) friends.

Then the media had its field day.......this part I dont even like to discuss.

I am patiently waiting for our day of vengance.

All of the sporting good, and depatment stores dropped the Bengals gear.

Still hafta order most gear online

The tide is turning friends. Thank you Marvin!

Also thanks to all here. Its great to find a fantastic bunch of people to discuss my favorite topic with again! We deserve to be victorious. We have all suffered long enuff!!

.........and to all those who ridiculed and laughed. I will dish out the same torment on you that you placed on me :player:

the hardest part for me *plays some soft classical music* is living in a town away from cincy, and being the only bengal fan that i know. In 1997 I got a tattoo of the leaping tiger on my back shoulder, which i love btw and will never change or get rid of till the day i die...even if they stop using it as a logo:\ anywayz, everytime i meet someone new they are like what is that. Im all a tiger...half the time i dont even tell ppl what it really is because they dont know sports really and like they are really gonna know the bengals in the nfl.

2nd hardest part is not being able to see many games. I dont know how many sundays ive had to watch a rams or a cowboys or a broncos game on tv, muted, while listening to the bengal game over the internet on radio...btw the bengal announcers are pretty bad...especially the fat guy, well i think hes fat, he sounds it!!!

3rd is, all the s**t i get for all the bad picks we've made...and whenever i meet someone knew and they like football and are like who u like? "the bengals" lol they just start laughing or are like...are u serious??????

damn right im serious, and im serious about snatching the division from baltimores hands this year!!!

All of the sporting good, and depatment stores dropped the Bengals gear.

Still hafta order most gear online

this is soooo true, funny story about that though. My mom went into a mall out here that just opened up and went into the sports store. They had TONS of clothes especially for NFL, but they only had 1 shirt of the bengals(Which i now own heh), this was during last season when they were in first in the division. My mom started to yell at the manager saying WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE MORE BENGAL STUFF??? THEY ARE FIRST IN THEIR DIVISION!!! WHAT DO THEY GOTTA DO TO GET NOTICED!!!! i myself was crackin up:D