Bengals sign TE Cooper Wallace

mgi

This was from before he was drafted...

- - - -

Auburn, Ala.--Cooper Wallace’s second exposure to a pack of pro scouts turned out to be a satisfying one for the Auburn University senior tight end.

Still, he was glad to put that part of his training as a National Football League draftee candidate in the rear view mirror.

“I am glad it is over,” Wallace told Inside the Auburn Tigers on Thursday after Auburn’s annual Pro Day, which featured dozens of National Football League scouts checking out Tiger players. Some, like Wallace, had already worked out at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis and others were testing for the pros for the first time.

“It wasn’t as intimidating as the combine,” Wallace says. “I was much more relaxed and had better times.”

Wallace ran his two attempts at the 40-yard dash in the 4.7s. “The fastest time I heard was 4.7 flat,” he says. “If some people got that, it would be a very good time for me. My jumps improved, both long jump and vertical, and I think I looked pretty solid catching the football.”

Wallace went 31 inches in the vertical jump and nine feet, one inch in the standing broad jump. “That is the first time I have ever jumped nine feet so I was real pleased with that,” the tight end says.

----

NFLdraftcountdown.com ranked him the 13th TE in his draft class.

This was from before he was drafted...

- - - -

Auburn, Ala.--Cooper Wallace’s second exposure to a pack of pro scouts turned out to be a satisfying one for the Auburn University senior tight end.

Still, he was glad to put that part of his training as a National Football League draftee candidate in the rear view mirror.

“I am glad it is over,” Wallace told Inside the Auburn Tigers on Thursday after Auburn’s annual Pro Day, which featured dozens of National Football League scouts checking out Tiger players. Some, like Wallace, had already worked out at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis and others were testing for the pros for the first time.

“It wasn’t as intimidating as the combine,” Wallace says. “I was much more relaxed and had better times.”

Wallace ran his two attempts at the 40-yard dash in the 4.7s. “The fastest time I heard was 4.7 flat,” he says. “If some people got that, it would be a very good time for me. My jumps improved, both long jump and vertical, and I think I looked pretty solid catching the football.”

Wallace went 31 inches in the vertical jump and nine feet, one inch in the standing broad jump. “That is the first time I have ever jumped nine feet so I was real pleased with that,” the tight end says.

----

NFLdraftcountdown.com ranked him the 13th TE in his draft class.

I was a little bit high on Daniel Coats as a receiver, but he's been dropping the ball far too much. I think he'll go bye bye soon if Wallace shows he can catch and block.

Cooper Wallace was on my "we should draft this guy" list for 2006, 6th/7th round.

Rated as equally good as a blocker and a receiver, decent speed, top notch intangibles with a lot of starting experience in a very good conference.

I should note, I wanted Donte Whitner in round 1 that year....he was not expected to be taken nearly so early as he was......because I felt he'd make a big impact on our team. Well....he did, just not the way I was expecting :-)