fed up

cincy9275

Bandwagonners..............you are allowed to jump off the wagon at anytime. And yes.....there are some bandwagon fans on this site whether you choose to see it or not. Every fan gets frustrated at some point. I don't think this calls for breaking out the paper bags. But it is reality check time for Marvin and his assistant coaches/coordinators. Something went terribly wrong (obviously) between week 1 and week 2. Someone needs to be held accountable for the blatant inconsistency of the defense.

Chuck Bresnahan- Defense Incoordinator

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And IMHO that type of flawed gameplanning puts them on shaky ground as I believe most teams facing the Browns yesterday would have overwhelmingly attempted to attack inexperience at the source instead of attempting to defend it down the field. And that's even more true when facing an opponent whose strength rests with its skill position players and it's glaring weaknesses being found at the O-Line and QB positions.

I'm honestly not sure the majority of NFL teams would have blitzed Anderson often. Teams with great pass rush talent like San Diego certainly would, but the likes of Indianapolis or Chicago would have followed a strategy more similar to what the Bengals attempted IMO. Against an inexperienced quarterback like Derek Anderson, I think a consistent defense would be capable of playing well in any common NFL scheme.

Had the Bengals executed the coverages properly, they'd have likely confused Anderson and forced him into costly mistakes (the very life and death of Bresnahan's schemes). I can certainly gather your point, and I do wish the Bengals had tried to pressure Anderson a bit more in the second half. I simply don't see as much fault in their (Bresnehan/Marvin) confidence in the defense to execute the scheme they're accustomed to after subduing the Ravens last week with much more complex play-calling.

And IMHO that type of flawed gameplanning puts them on shaky ground as I believe most teams facing the Browns yesterday would have overwhelmingly attempted to attack inexperience at the source instead of attempting to defend it down the field. And that's even more true when facing an opponent whose strength rests with its skill position players and it's glaring weaknesses being found at the O-Line and QB positions.

I'm honestly not sure the majority of NFL teams would have blitzed Anderson often. Teams with great pass rush talent like San Diego certainly would, but the likes of Indianapolis or Chicago would have followed a strategy more similar to what the Bengals attempted IMO. Against an inexperienced quarterback like Derek Anderson, I think a consistent defense would be capable of playing well in any common NFL scheme.

Had the Bengals executed the coverages properly, they'd have likely confused Anderson and forced him into costly mistakes (the very life and death of Bresnahan's schemes). I can certainly gather your point, and I do wish the Bengals had tried to pressure Anderson a bit more in the second half. I simply don't see as much fault in their (Bresnehan/Marvin) confidence in the defense to execute the scheme they're accustomed to after subduing the Ravens last week with much more complex play-calling.

One major factor you are missing in this whole equation is, not only was Derek Anderson playing QB, but also the Browns were starting a rookie LT. When a team is playing against a rookie LT, the guy that protects the QB's blind side, the best way to create chaos is to mix things up with several defensive sets and blitzes. By playing a vanilla defense, they gave Joe Thomas a free pass that made him feel like he was going against a blocking sled.

By playing a vanilla defense, they gave Joe Thomas a free pass that made him feel like he was going against a blocking sled.

I don't blame the coaching staff for Justin Smith's inability to get any pressure against a rookie tackle. I don't blame the coaching staff for that rookie tackle playing a great game of football (not to mention Eric Steinbach beside him). When the Bengals did blitz in the second half (yes, they did do it some), the Browns picked it up every time and Anderson got rid of the ball quickly to the wide open Winslows and Braylons running all over the secondary.

Man your wrong. When you have an inexperienced qb you bring the heat from everywhere, try to force a bad decision. He doenst have Carson or Paytons "laser arm" to beat you on hot routes or deep if he doenst have time. And if your having 50+ points scored on you, why not bring all you got. If we sit back in a base zone he has all day to work his progression. For as many times as they will get lucky on a blitz package, we should get an equal number of poor choices from anderson that should result in a turn over. Instead we sat there all game in a base zone and when we did blitz they were the same ones from last week (predictable). So they picked on our rook and left him smelling like a pile of burnt dung. And lets not forget Jamal running amuck. We often had the wrong personel or call when he got the ball. And when we did adjust for the run they would check out to a pass and smoke...Shows a total lack of awareness on bresh's part. In short we got out coached by a mile.

I don't blame the coaching staff for Justin Smith's inability to get any pressure against a rookie tackle. I don't blame the coaching staff for that rookie tackle playing a great game of football (not to mention Eric Steinbach beside him).

I do. I watched the Browns/Steeler game from the previous week and later wrote about Pittsburgh producing two sacks that resulted from miscommunication between Thomas and Steinbach. Both sacks came by way of overload blitzes that pressured Cleveland's brand spanking new offensive lineman to adjust on the fly and block the correct man. For example, on one play OT Thomas peeled off of his defender...who later sacked the QB...to block an outside rusher who had already been picked up by the FB. In the other example the 2nd blitzer crashing through the same OT/OG gap was totally unblocked...as Steinbach was busy helping double team a DT.

Regardless of the QB being faced that's the type of pressure the Steelers always attack with. However, the Bengals choose to attack in that manner only occasionaly, and they didn't attack in that manner against Cleveland, as hinted at by Justin Smith's remarks about a scaled back base defense.

And when debating the preference for vanilla schemes I'll also point to last weeks Defensive Player of the Week Robert Geather's complete and total disappearance on the opposite flank. Geathers wasn't matched against the 3rd overall pick in the draft working in tandem with a Pro Bowl alternate. No, he was matched against Kevin Shaffer, one of the least respected starting tackles in the NFL.

The end result? The Bengals produced zero sacks and a single QB hurry all game long.

I don't blame the coaching staff for Justin Smith's inability to get any pressure against a rookie tackle. I don't blame the coaching staff for that rookie tackle playing a great game of football (not to mention Eric Steinbach beside him).

I do. I watched the Browns/Steeler game from the previous week and later wrote about Pittsburgh producing two sacks that resulted from miscommunication between Thomas and Steinbach. Both sacks came by way of overload blitzes that pressured Cleveland's brand spanking new offensive lineman to adjust on the fly and block the correct man. For example, on one play OT Thomas peeled off of his defender...who later sacked the QB...to block an outside rusher who had already been picked up by the FB. In the other example the 2nd blitzer crashing through the same OT/OG gap was totally unblocked...as Steinbach was busy helping double team a DT.

Regardless of the QB being faced that's the type of pressure the Steelers always attack with. However, the Bengals choose to attack in that manner only occasionaly, and they didn't attack in that manner against Cleveland, as hinted at by Justin Smith's remarks about a scaled back base defense.

And when debating the preference for vanilla schemes I'll also point to last weeks Defensive Player of the Week Robert Geather's complete and total disappearance on the opposite flank. Geathers wasn't matched against the 3rd overall pick in the draft working in tandem with a Pro Bowl alternate. No, he was matched against Kevin Shaffer, one of the least respected starting tackles in the NFL.

The end result? The Bengals produced zero sacks and a single QB hurry all game long.

What. he. said.

First of all, great game. I was there and it was a blast. I had your fans behind me, and they kept saying " I dont care who win, this was worth being at. " Its always interesting when we play you guys. Next time lets keep Johnson out of our Dawg Pound. Even though that was pretty funny.

Anyways, I read all your score predictions for this game. I have to admit I was in agreeance with you. But obviously we were all wrong.

I just wanna say, I love the agressivness of your guy's defense, but you can't do that a lot when you don't have cornerbacks that can cover well.. Leon Hall needs some work just as our Eric Wright does. They are rookies I saw rookie mistakes by both of them. Someone I was very impressed with was Glenn Holt, that guy played hard, he was down every other play. I love him on your kick returns.

I cann't belive some of you are this discouraged about losing to us, and your defense. Let me tell you this, you tella team (the Browns) that they suck they arent going to do anything, you have no chance to do anything, and back them into a corner. They are going to explode and thats what we did, hopefully its a turning point for us who knows, but you guys have a damn good football team, your defense turns the ball over, thats huge. Your offense is second best in football. Good things are coming for you guys, you have great young talent and theres no where to get but better, trust me I KNOW how you feel.

Good game!

Go BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOF WOOF

GD

Oh and to you HaironFire, Kevin Shaffer is a real solid football player, he was basically a right tackle in Atlanta and really performed well. So far this year, he hasnt given up one sack. Hes just not a prototypically Left Tackle but he is extremely athletic. Dont hate if you dont know.

Well, if you're satisfied with the guy then why should I complain. But I think you're dead wrong about his reputation and his ability, and I'll be very suprised if you still feel the same way by seasons end.