Tillman Petition

I have to agree with Kelley.

The fate of Pat Tillman, while tragic was the result of a personal belief and decision outside of the game of professional sports.

Over the last few years we've seen players from the NFL and MLB , die as a result of poor health or ephedrine based products.While their tragedies were able to bring about changes that directly effected their professions, Pat Tillmans ultimate sacrifice came out of his own personal beliefs not shared by everyone. His merits on the football field should merit his election into the HOF, not his merits as a human being, and patriotism for his country.I believe the Arizona State University will be retiring his # 42 uniform, but at the same time, it should have been a consideration long before his enlistment into the Armed services. - Professional sports can play the role of a hero, but it is the sacrifices that men & women who serve their country, that determine the roles of real heroes. Let the NFL have its icon's on the wall that deserve to be their for their accomplishments on the playing field, but let America have it's Heroes that fought on the battle field.

-- Best wishes to the family,friends,and teammates of Pat Tillman.

thats too much...

I wouldn't say too much by a long shot! Speaking as a former Marine, I think the NFL is trying to show a positive side to their players. Especially after what that little punk Manning pulled in the draft. I can't wait until the first time he gets totally blindsided by a full on blitz. He won't be able to run to his daddy then! What an overrated puss!

A guy like Manning would have never lasted in my unit in the Marine Corps. Chumps like that will never be team players. Pat Tillman was. He realized what really mattered in this life, and it AIN'T professional sports!

I'd have been proud to serve with a man like him, and unless you had the balls to serve your country in the armed forces, I'd reserve judgement. Tillman deserves incredible respect. Maybe not total induction into the Hall of fame, but at least a special mention, along with any other pro player who served their country!

There is nothing close to "too much" in honoring a man, who joined the Army, and laid down his life for our sake. Pat Tillman...you sir are a HERO!

Eli Manning, Terrell Owens, and those of your ilk...you can't carry Pat's jockstrap!! :angry:

i don't think "too much" refers to the credit the man deserves, but rather what he would have wanted. The underlying theme of everything he did was that his sacrifice should not mean more than that of any other man or woman. He didn't want a zoo. And the way the media is, honoring a man quickly devolves into a zoo.

I agree with the idea of honoring him with a patch as a reminder of what the freedom to play costs, but to treat him as the only man who has sacrificed for his country demeans the memory of others who have done the same.

Just my two cents

i don't think "too much" refers to the credit the man deserves, but rather what he would have wanted. The underlying theme of everything he did was that his sacrifice should not mean more than that of any other man or woman. He didn't want a zoo. And the way the media is, honoring a man quickly devolves into a zoo.

I agree with the idea of honoring him with a patch as a reminder of what the freedom to play costs, but to treat him as the only man who has sacrificed for his country demeans the memory of others who have done the same.

Just my two cents

He certainly wouldn't have wanted such attention as his death is commanding now. Hell, he wouldn't even grant interviews to the media about his decision before he was deployed!

This goes beyond that now. This man should be held up as an inspiration to our future generations as to what a real American Hero is. He sacrificed a HUGE amount of money (3.5 million) to join the Army for a mere $18,000 because he believed it was the right and honorable thing to do.

He knew there was more to life than money, and he demonstrated it in a most unusual way.

God bless you Pat Tillman. B)

hey guys, i respect him as much as anyone here. im very touched by his story. as a Christian, especially, i appreciate the ideals that he stood for.

but the message this sends to me is that former nfl marines are more important than father marines killed in action or teacher marines, or women that join the forces.

and even if that is a stretch in your minds...ok, fine. but do we really need to know the minute by minute status of the man's body?

but the message this sends to me is that former nfl marines are more important than father marines killed in action or teacher marines, or women that join the forces.

and even if that is a stretch in your minds...ok, fine. but do we really need to know the minute by minute status of the man's body?

No Sky...we do not need a minute by minute updating of the movements of this man remains. As a christian you must understand he's no longer there spiritually anyway. I'm certain his soul has moved on to a better place.

I just don't agree with the message you seem to be getting, and I'm not. He is in no way more important than any other man or woman who has died in conflict for our country...EVER. I would never suggest that. I don't think the NFL is doing that either. They publicly mentioned tribute to others than have fallen in conflict, regardless of their backrounds.

I will admit they are giving it undue coverage, but I attribute that to the NFL's PR "spin doctors", who are looking for a human angle on the NFL player, that will deflect attention from the likes of Owens, Manning, etc, etc, etc.

Again it all boils down to money and marketing. That fact I do not care for, but it's the nature of this beast unfortunately.

;)

Id say retire his number, have a moment of silence. Maybe even a patch on AZ unis this year would be a good touch. But no HOF.

Have to agree that'd be the way to go about it. Tasteful, low key, and proportional to the situation. Fitting tribute. If the NFL wants to do something else, there are plenty of organizations for disabled vets and the families of service members killed in action that they could adopt and do a world of good for.