Lawrence Hamilton Axed

HoosierCat

No catches? No job.

Replaced by Kevin Walter off the practice squad.

Curious timing. Wouldn't it have made more sense to do this last week and give Walter 2 weeks of practice with the first team instead of two days?

Edit: info on Walter at: http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/football/bio...ios/walter.html

The MAC? Holy crud that brings back ugly memories. Go Bobcats!

Related note. From bengals.com:

But the word isn’t as good on WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh. He can’t seem to get over his hamstring injury after ending his 40-day layoff in workouts Monday and Wednesday. He didn’t practice Thursday, and he could be downgraded from questionable.

This is getting ridiculous. If he can't get healthy let's find someone else. Anyone want to bet that if TJ is still nursing his hammy come week 10 he'll be out and Ron Dugans will be back?

Kevin Walter was mentioned extensively in an article in the Dayton paper today. One of the things that seem curious about this is keeping TJ even though he can't play. You've mentioned before that coach Lewis has a habit of cutting guys that are hurt. Would have made a little more sense to keep Hamilton and cut TJ at leat until Dugans could be brought back. At least that way they would have had a guy that was able to play.

I don't think money would have been that big of an issue. Tj's contract isn't that big is it ?????

Would have made a little more sense to keep Hamilton and cut TJ at leat until Dugans could be brought back. At least that way they would have had a guy that was able to play.

I don't think money would have been that big of an issue. Tj's contract isn't that big is it ?????

I doubt it. TJ was a 7th round pick so he has to be making the NFL equivalent of peanuts. But yeah, cutting TJ (or better yet, stick him on IR), keeping Hamilton, and promoting Walker would have made more sense. Of course, that would have meant an "extra" salary for the head peanut-counter to pay, and you know how much he :wub: his peanuts...

Got this from the Dayton Daily News.

The rookie from Eastern Michigan has the coaches' attention with his smooth moves, crisp routes and sure hands.

"Kevin Walter is not a practice guy at all," Bengals starting wideout Chad Johnson said. "He gives our defense hell with his hands, moves and speed. He's the whole package. The only thing that doesn't have Kevin active on Sundays is not knowing the offense. If he knew the offense, he'd be in there."

Walter, who was claimed off waivers from the New York Giants on Aug. 26, is learning fast.

"You're definitely part of the team, and everybody treats you like you're part of the team," he said. "I'm out here busting my tail during the week, hopefully to move up someday.

"That's what my goal is — to help this team out on Sunday on the field physically. Right now, I can't do that. So therefore I need to practice hard during the week to get these guys ready for Sunday. I love doing it. That's all that counts."

This sounds to me like a good move. If he's as good as CJ thinks he is, he may be able to challenge Washington for the third receiver spot. Since it looks as if TJ is never coming back from his hamstring injury. :angry:

The Bengals took some heat cutting Rackers when word got out that he was hurt. TJ has been week to week waiting for him to get better.

They made a decision to keep him but I think they should've put him on the IR for the first 6 games. After all, he was hurt during camp and the preseason.

They probably didn't think he'd be out this long. I sure didn't.

keeping Hamilton, and promoting Walker would have made more sense. Of course, that would have meant an "extra" salary for the head peanut-counter to pay, and you know how much he :wub: his peanuts...

Sorry. Lost my head for a minute. The article quoted by B24 is the one I was referring to. If it was just Johnson hyping him I'd be a little more skeptical, but it seems to be the coaches as well. I've never even seen this kid, but now I can't wait to. I think it's absolutely great when somebody works their tail off and then gets to reap the rewards. Can't stand the Phillips's ( he got cut in Canda .... again ) and the Sapps ( does that name fit or what ) of the world who get things handed to them and then act like " Well you owed it to me didn't you ? "

And just to put a cherry on top of this whole goofy affair, the Enquirer reports that Hamilton cleared waivers and the Bengals have signed him to the practice squad.

Go figure. ;)

I think there's too much speed on the field Kitna can't handle.

I'm glad Hamilton signed back with us in hopes of having a QB able to pass him the ball next year.

i dont understand why get rid of him just to resign him to the practise squad does this save us $$$$$ or am i just not getting it ??????

No it doesn't save money, it does save salery cap space as the practise squad doesn't count towards the cap. Keeping him on the practice squad gives the Bengals the chance to keep him moving along. He can keep up with the playbook, practice with the team. Where as when he is signed off the street he would half to fit in with the team again. The Bengals feel that Walter can help them right away but don't want to give up on Hamilton so they keep him on the practice squad and hope he doens't get signed by another team.

As for keeping TJ versus Dugans. TJ is a better offensive player. I also think maybe the Bengals underestimated his injury, but when you put someone on the IR they are lost for the season. If he doesn't get better by week 10, I can see Dugans coming back, if he is healthy, I kinda have my doubts though.

Cheers