SAM ADAMS CUT

HoosierCat

Given Sam Adams' problems with weight -- last year he reported to the Bengals at 375 pounds -- it would be natural to assume that the defensive tackle was recently cut by Cincinnati because he was in poor shape again.

Adams weighed in for the start of the team's offseason conditioning program at 347 pounds, a little more than the 335 they wanted him at for the start of training camp, but not in the scale's stratosphere.

Adams may have reported at 375 last season, but I doubt he would have played for any team in that condition....so that number is almost irrelevant. In fact, I'd call it little more than a curiosity that details just how poorly conditioned he allowed himself to become.

In my opinion a far better starting point is Adams own claim to have played last season at..."somewhere between 350 and 360". That figure becomes even more important because he admitted that he played so badly at that weight that he openly acknowledged that if he reported this season at that same weight that his release was a very real possibility. This prompted him to further claim that he'd report this season at 330, very close to the figure the Bengals are said to have wanted to see.

And there's the rub, because Adams clearly fell well short of his target weight of 330. In fact, if Adams wasn't lying about his playing weight last season he only lost a few pounds.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion a far better starting point is Adams own claim to have played last season at..."somewhere between 350 and 360". That figure becomes even more important because he admitted that he played so badly at that weight that he openly acknowledged that if he reported this season at that same weight that his release was a very real possibility. This prompted him to further claim that he'd report this season at 330, very close to the figure the Bengals are said to have wanted to see.

And there's the rub, because Adams clearly fell well short of his target weight of 330. In fact, if Adams wasn't lying about his playing weight last season he only lost a few pounds.

The latest on Sam -- a puff piece from Pastabelly in which everyone is supposedly after him again :rolleyes: -- says a Rams physical shows he's still a ways from his goal...

Adams did have arthroscopic knee surgery shortly after the season ended, in part because he knew he wanted to return for a 14th year, and sources said the Rams were satisfied with his progress in rehabilitation. Although he has struggled at times with weight problems, Adams weighed in the low 340s for the Rams, a manageable number for him.

I found the comment about rehab particularly telling...and probably why no one is in a hurry to sign him.

He's a Bronco now... He'll never make it that high up..

I got a dozen Krispy Kremes that say he doesn't even make the final roster. Just saw today that the Broncos swapped a 6th to the Rams for Jimmy Kennedy. Counting Kennedy they now have eight (8) DTs on the roster, plus two guys listed as "DL," including 319-lb. Gordon Amon. Only two of the eight DTs are rooks, and one of those is 4th-rounder Marcus Thomas, who'll certainly stick.

I believe Sam's value is more in the "player-coach" mode than the "impact player" mode. In that respect, it's a great idea to allow Sam, the uber-pro, to teach the NFL game to yougsters. Also, Sam is a pretty good role model off the field, and Marcus Thomas arrived with alot of baggage.

I believe Sam's value is more in the "player-coach" mode than the "impact player" mode. In that respect, it's a great idea to allow Sam, the uber-pro, to teach the NFL game to yougsters. Also, Sam is a pretty good role model off the field, and Marcus Thomas arrived with alot of baggage.

1.5 mil is alot to pay for a "player-coach" especially when your paying for DL coach at least six figures.

Maybe, but where do you put him? Here's Denver's DT lineup:

Sam Adams (14th year) 350lbs., acquired FA 2007

Antwon Burton (2) 315, UDFA 2006

Steven Harris ® 285, UDFA 2007

Jimmy Kennedy (5) 325, Trade with Rams 2007

Alvin McKinley (8) 294, FA 2007

Marcus Thomas ® 296, 4th round pick 2007

Gerard Warren (7) 325, Trade with Cleveland 2005

Figure Harris and Burton are PS fodder. Donks signed McKinley to a four-year, $8 million deal, so he's probably good. They just traded for Kennedy so you have to figure he'd have to eff up pretty good to get booted. Marcus Thomas will stick. And Gerard Warren signed a six-year, $36 million deal with $10 million in bonus money just last year, so he ain't going anywhere.

Where da fuk Sam fits, I dunno. Something tells me he wasn't exactly jumping for joy at the Kennedy news.

:lmao::lmao:

But I thought Adams was supposed to be the answer to all your run D problems?

:lol:

Maybe he wasn't, but the Bengals showed major improvement against the run last season regardless.

I would be more inclined that Domato Peko was the reason for the improvement and not Big Sam. The run defense may have shown improvement last season, it was not enough for the Bengals to win more then 8 games.