Rudi Johnson's Contract Update

Kirkendall

From the Dayton Daily News...

Now that Corey Dillon is gone in a trade to New England, Johnson assumes the role of lead tailback for the Bengals. Johnson hasn't signed the club's one-year tender offer of $1.824 million because he wants a long-term contract. How would he classify negotiations? "Slow motion, baby." According to Johnson, the club hasn't come through with any solid offers in dealings with agent Peter Schaffer. "I really hope we can get something worked out," Johnson said. "That would be nice. But to tell you the truth, I'm not even looking at it at all. That's what Peter's there for. If I thought about it, it would do nothing but stress me out. Regardless of what happens, I'm still going to play hard and have a good time this year."

he shouldnt even look for a long term contract. I think if we give him a long term contract before the season starts, it will be a bad move like the kicker signing.

he shouldnt even look for a long term contract. I think if we give him a long term contract before the season starts, it will be a bad move like the kicker signing.

I agree. At this point I believe he still has some provin' to do. I am concerned about a Scott Mitchell-scenario. He filled in for Dan Marino inthe mid-90's and went like 5-1. The Lions gave him a bunch of money and he was really bad (and eventually ended up here).

I love Rudi and want to see him succeed but I don't think he deserves much more than the$1.8 that's on the table.

I really don't know what to say about Rudi's contract..

Some things I do know are..

1. 1.8+ million dollars is 3 times what he was getting paid before.

2. any deal 3-4 years 10 million is more than fair , and the deal could always be reworked if he turns out to be a home run , instead of just a "pop-up".

3. Sign the dang tender Rudi- if you're play resembles that of last year, then expect the big contract after the trading deadline !

I really don't know what to say about Rudi's contract..

Some things I do know are..

1. 1.8+ million dollars is 3 times what he was getting paid before.

2. any deal 3-4 years 10 million is more than fair , and the deal could always be reworked if he turns out to be a home run , instead of just a "pop-up".

3. Sign the dang tender Rudi- if you're play resembles that of last year, then expect the big contract after the trading deadline !

Word!

Chris...you need to contact Rudi about becoming his agent! B)

I have to disagree. While I think the contract is more than fair for Rudi, he's just playing all his cards. He knows that he's the shoe in for next year at starting back. He really doesn't have anything to lose. Why not play all the crads and see where they fall. It sounds like his agent is doing the work anyway. Rudi's probably not even very involved. He's just going through the motions. ;)

I have to disagree. While I think the contract is more than fair for Rudi, he's just playing all his cards. He knows that he's the shoe in for next year at starting back. He really doesn't have anything to lose. Why not play all the crads and see where they fall. It sounds like his agent is doing the work anyway. Rudi's probably not even very involved. He's just going through the motions. ;)

Well I'll tell you this : If we draft or should I say "when" we draft a running back, a guy like Julius Jones could be challenging his spot real quick.

* Rudi had better start conditioning himself to be the "man" or else another "man" will take his spot. :player:

This kind of s**t pisses me off--WHY DON'T PLAYERS JUST ACCEPT THE MONEY???

Don't ever deny money thrown at you--especially when you HAVEN'T REALLY PROVED YOURSELF YET.

Sure, sure--he was good for 3 games in filling in for Dillon--but what else has Rudi done???

Rudi, sign the damned contract and prove yourself--DON'T GO ALL DUCE STALEY ON US.

PROVE YOURSELF--THEN GET REWARDED.

:)

With this type of faith of our featured back, we will be screwed. Lets start being a little optimistic. I bet we will all be chanting RUDI RUDI on Sunday Night against the fish as he scores his third TD of the game

I doubt our words will deter his ability to perform.

If you're referring to Barb, just ignore him. He's become the Mike Brown of this forum with no power.

Barb. If you want players to just accept what is given to them and not try to negotiate for better deals, then why don't you move to a communist country?

It's called free trade. People will sell services for what other peole are willing to pay for them. Rudi has a product that he wishes to sell, he could sell it for $1, but he could also wait until he gets an offer for $2. If he doesn't get a $2 deal, he can go with the $1 deal. Now this service isn't even going to be used until Sept, so there's really no need to rush.

This kind of s**t pisses me off--WHY DON'T PLAYERS JUST ACCEPT THE MONEY???

Don't ever deny money thrown at you--especially when you HAVEN'T REALLY PROVED YOURSELF YET.

Sure, sure--he was good for 3 games in filling in for Dillon--but what else has Rudi done???

Rudi, sign the damned contract and prove yourself--DON'T GO ALL DUCE STALEY ON US.

PROVE YOURSELF--THEN GET REWARDED.

:)

I think he had three games of over 150 yds each...that's all.

Oh yeah, one more thing....WHY ARE YOU YELLING???!!!???

Buried in the updated uni story...Rudi looking to sign (probably the tender) and will be at minicamp regardless...

The Man also added to the optimism of the day by saying he would be here for next month’s voluntary minicamp. As a restricted free agent, he doesn’t have to sign his one-year tender of $1.8 million until June 1, when the team can cut his salary by more than 100 percent if he doesn’t sign.

He figures to sign before then, but either way, “I’ll be there,” for the May camp. “I can’t fall behind.”