Akili Smith

CarsonPalmer9

Thus, any attempt on your part to claim that a Jonathan Joseph or David Pollack is considered as important or vital to the teams chances of success borders on lunacy.

:lmao: You haven't paid much attention to the Bengals over the years, have you? The Bengals' first-round selection -- in fact, their whole draft -- is always the missing piece(s), always the key to that wonderful world where It All Finally Comes Together. FAs? We don't need no stinkin' FAs, right? Build Through The Draft, right? Every year, it's the same: we'll go as far as the draft will take us.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every sports owner has to weigh winning versus profitability. Most Owners are willing to trade a profit for a championship. Mike Brown will never trade a dollar for a win. Not no way, not no how! And if you believe otherwise, you simply haven't been paying attention.

Perhaps you're the one who hasn't been paying attention. After all, the contract extension that Carson Palmer signed made him the 5th highest earning athlete in all of sports at the time it was signed. And several other Bengal players have also cashed in big including 9 out of 11 offensive starters in the last two years. In short, the Bengals have paid a heavy price to ensure that they didn't lose players who represented a team strength to richer teams.

Frankly, if the Bengals weren't interested in winning they could very easily have let a normal number of those offensive starters leave and explained it all away as something that was unavoidable in todays NFL. Or they could have let them go while explaining that the money was needed to build a defense that might be a team strength in the distant future. Instead, they re-signed starter after starter because those players gave the Bengals the best chance to win today AND tomorrow, and if that strategy hasn't resulted in a championship then maybe you weren't paying attention to the 2-14 team that Marvin inherited, or the fact that the Bengals haven't had a losing season since he arrived.

To Mike's chagrin, there is a monetary bogey that must be met. Locking your own guys up early does what? Saves money. Yeaaaaaah! Locking Carson up long term does what? Keeps butts in the seats, thereby capitalizing on the before mentioned one-sided lease that he negotiated with his bestest employee. And what does that mean to Mike....more money! Have ya ever heard that you have to spend money to make money? I didn't say Mike was an idiot. He has proven that he knows how to make money. I bet he would think it would be really keen if he could keep making a butt load of money, and still win. That way, everyone would be happy. Although he doesn't even really have to win, 'cause you will still love him just the same, won't ya hair. Baaaaaah.

To Mike's chagrin, there is a monetary bogey that must be met. Locking your own guys up early does what? Saves money. Yeaaaaaah! Locking Carson up long term does what?

There's a huge wrench sitting in the gears of that point. The money Mikey spent to retain those players was more than enough to fill the NFL's litte quota. Also, the players in question are GOOD players. Keeping them in the fold will help the team to contend.

Which seems like a more logical motive for Mikey to resign them?

1. He's a master businessman whom wants to find a perfect ratio between spending and eventual profit.

2. He knows fielding a winning team will do that for him.

Thus, any attempt on your part to claim that a Jonathan Joseph or David Pollack is considered as important or vital to the teams chances of success borders on lunacy.

:lmao: You haven't paid much attention to the Bengals over the years, have you? The Bengals' first-round selection -- in fact, their whole draft -- is always the missing piece(s), always the key to that wonderful world where It All Finally Comes Together. FAs? We don't need no stinkin' FAs, right? Build Through The Draft, right? Every year, it's the same: we'll go as far as the draft will take us.

I've paid attention closely enough to know that more teams in the NFL are adopting the Bengals free agent strategy. I've also listened closely enough to know that if fans like you had your way Rudi Johnson and TJ Housh would be playing for other teams, Chris Perry would be the Bengals starting RB, and Corey Simon would not only be a Bengal but also the highest paid defensive player in the NFL who doesn't actually play football.

Again, every team in the NFL looks at it's 1st round picks as a building block, a much needed replacement, or the potential last piece of the puzzle. The only difference that I can see is the fans of most other teams know and accept that fact for what it is...while too many fans of the Bengals see it as little more than another delicious opportunity to complain.

Locking your own guys up early does what? Saves money. Yeaaaaaah! Locking Carson up long term does what? Keeps butts in the seats, thereby capitalizing on the before mentioned one-sided lease that he negotiated with his bestest employee. And what does that mean to Mike....more money!

Jet, you're an idiot. Perhaps it's done deliberaty, as I suspect, but it hardly matters as the end result is the same. That being, you're acting like a slack-jawed, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging fugtard.

Locking up your own talent early does what you ask? I'd say it keeps proven talent on the roster, resulting in fewer ousiders being signed who can't continue playing at a high level outside of the system they left behind. So it's done in an effort to win. And if it saves money, well...so much the better.

As for signing Carson Plamer early, you do that because he's proven to be the player you hoped he be when you drafted him. And if you want to win you do everything possible to keep your young Pro Bowl QB, right?

As for doing it simply to keep butts in the seat, well....you've already bailed, right? So apparently not even you believes the crap you're writing.

Locking your own guys up early does what? Saves money. Yeaaaaaah! Locking Carson up long term does what? Keeps butts in the seats, thereby capitalizing on the before mentioned one-sided lease that he negotiated with his bestest employee. And what does that mean to Mike....more money!

Jet, you're an idiot. Perhaps it's done deliberaty, as I suspect, but it hardly matters as the end result is the same. That being, you're acting like a slack-jawed, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging fugtard.

Locking up your own talent early does what you ask? I'd say it keeps proven talent on the roster, resulting in fewer ousiders being signed who can't continue playing at a high level outside of the system they left behind. So it's done in an effort to win. And if it saves money, well...so much the better.

As for signing Carson Plamer early, you do that because he's proven to be the player you hoped he be when you drafted him. And if you want to win you do everything possible to keep your young Pro Bowl QB, right?

As for doing it simply to keep butts in the seat, well....you've already bailed, right? So apparently not even you believes the crap you're writing.

Hair, you are an imbecile, but you are at least mildly entertaining. Sure, you're oblivious to all things Bengal, but you do make me laugh at times. Kind of like the court jester....you big goofy you.

Although I may not be as proficient, as the Hair, at Elmo Malple & Bob Trumby trivia, I have been a Bengals fan for the entire span of Mike Brown's tenure. Gee whiz Hair, I sure am sorry for paying attention.

This fact is one reason why I have always had faith that the Bengals would eventually turn things around. Not overspending for FA and getting stuck in cap hell. The draft is the way to build a solid team in a small market, the problem with the Bengals was they were not drafting the right players for years.

Can I just add here that

a) I entered this thread out of concern for why you/me/anyone in their right mind would discuss Akili freakin Smith for 3 pages (at this point)

B) I am deeply relieved to find that none of you appear to be talking about Mr Smith anymore.

Carry on, my wayard sons, but I doubt there will be peace when you are done :-)