JARED ALLEN REQUESTS A TRADE

James_Brooks21

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2779135

Updated: Feb. 25, 2007, 11:30 AM ET

Chiefs DE Allen tells newspaper he wants out of K.C.ESPN.com news services

Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen has yet to be offered a long-term contract and has requested to be traded, according to a published report.

AllenAllen told the Kansas City Star on Saturday that he wanted to finish his career with the Chiefs, but the club hasn't offered the restricted free agent a contract.

"I feel shocked and hurt." Allen told the Star. "Requesting a trade was probably the toughest thing I've had to do. It's nothing personal against the town of Kansas City and the fans. It's been great. [but] it doesn't look like my future is going to be there, and I have to accept that. That's why this is so hard. All the hard work I've put in, the blood, sweat and tears … I wanted to finish my career there. I was led to believe I was going to."

The Chiefs turned down Allen's request for a trade and president/general manager Carl Peterson said the club plans to tender Allen on Thursday, according to the report. Thursday is the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

Allen has 27½ sacks in his three NFL season and led the league with six fumble recoveries in 2006.

Allen's agent, Ken Harris, told the Star that the Chiefs plan to high tender Allen. Kansas City would receive a first and third round draft choice if another team signed him to an offer sheet. If that happens, Allen, would earn $2.35 million as a high tender in 2007 according to the Star.

One open issue that may be hindering Allen's request is that he just served jail time for his second DUI arrest and the NFL has not yet decided on a possible suspension heading into the 2007 season.

Now this would be an upgrade over Justin Smith, seeing that he is three years younger then Justin Smith and he commands a double team. But guess what with those two DUI's the Bengals would not touch him with a ten feet pole either, they will take Justin's one DUI over his two and I can't say that I don't blame them. Plus this guys is about to sit the first four games of the year at home.

No.

PS,Justins DUI when he first got here and hasen't got in trouble since,Jared seems have a bad tude also.

Justin Smiths DUI wasnt when he first got here. He was drafted in 2001. DUI came in October of 2004. Not that there is an OK time to get a DUI.

Thanks buddy for pointing that out, I knew that DUI was not that long ago. He tried to pull the okey dokey on me saying it was when he first got here and he has not got in trouble since.

WHy would Kansas city trade a productive sack machine for an average player? Doesnt make sense

Productive sack machine? He has averaged only 2 mores sacks/year more than Justin Smithover the last 3 years. Had the same number of sacks as Smith had last year... and Justin blows him away in total tackles.

Why is a sack machine and Justin Smith just average (other than the fact that he has more "Street cred")?

WHy would Kansas city trade a productive sack machine for an average player? Doesnt make sense

Productive sack machine? He has averaged only 2 mores sacks/year more than Justin Smithover the last 3 years. Had the same number of sacks as Smith had last year... and Justin blows him away in total tackles.

Why is a sack machine and Justin Smith just average (other than the fact that he has more "Street cred")?

I agree, I don't know why the hell everyone is down on JS. He is a solid player and a great guy to have in the locker room. Our defensive line is fine if Sam Adams can get his ass down to playing weight. If that DT from Louisville is there with our pick we need to take him and get a solid LB in round 2. Hopefully we keep Odell and he pulls his head out of his ass. He is a great addition if he could only stay out of trouble