RoverD's Seven Round 'Nati Mock

NJ29

Complete Bengal's Mock. Because Full first round mocks take too much effort. :sure:

1. Reggie Nelson, S Texas

1165126757.jpg

- It looks more and more likely that Madieu will move to corner, and it makes sense. He's a better cover guy and a much more physical presence than either Tory or Deltha. Nelson gives 'em the interchangeable guy that they love, who can cover well but can make tackles when he needs to. He was also a vocal leader at Florida, something missing in Cincy. This is assuming Landry isn't available, because it'd be tough to pass on him, in my opinion. Could also go with Michael Griffin here. He fits in well too, but he might be gone.

2. Buster Davis, MLB Florida State

- Might be optimistic to think that he'll be there, but I don't see Odell back, not because I don't want to see him back, but I think that Marv doesn't want him back. Buster gives the tough, aggressive playmaker who makes great reads and blows things up before they develop, even playing at FSU, behind speedy, pentration oriented tackles. He would benefit a lot from playing behind Sam. As good as Nicholson and Sims were for FSU, Joe-Pa said after the Orange Bowl that Buster was the one that he tried to run away from.

4. Ikaika Alama-Francis, DE Hawaii

- A Jonathan Joseph situation, in that he's new to the game, but he's a great athlete who can make a lot of plays. He is in great shape, and has a great motor with great size, at 6'6" and 290 lbs.

5. Kasey Studdard, G Texas

- Great guard at Texas, but for some reason is projected low. Could be a good back up and start eventually, either replacing Bobbie or for Steinbach at some point.

6. Tyler Ecker, TE Michigan

- Ecker is a guy who was Academic All Big-Ten, and was a weapon at Michigan. Kelly and Stewart ar both UFAs, and it's unlikely that we'll sign both.

7. Matt Trannon, WR Michigan State

- I'm not a fan of taking a receiver, but I, like many others, would like to see Marvin make an example of Cheech, and Squirrel is a UFA. Trannon is a possession receiver with great size, who can stretch the field and move the chains.

Reggie Nelson would probably be the best pick they could make. We'll see, but I'd guess he shows at the combine that he's got the skills to be a shut down corner to if needed. But his strength for now is shutting down the whole deep half of the field. No one plays the ball better in the air, reacts quicker to run or pass or times his hits with the veolicty that Nelson has -- not LaRon, not Griffin.

Madieu definitely can play corner. His 1st start was there isolated a lot in man and even though he barely got beat deep on a 50 yd TD bomb and juked just enough by Santana Moss on a deep sideline stop, he showed enough in place of O'Neal that he can develop to play the other corner spot. That was a few years back but it shouldn't change. Plus, it's not like he hasn't had some slot coverage since then.

Buster would be a beter fit for the Bengals needs IMO than Patrick Willis or Poz but I'd rather see them go after the DE than another LB in the 2nd if they go DB in the 1st. A DE who can rush from LDE on passing downs and play in space as a SSLB, like Anthony Spencer, LaMarr Woodley or maybe even Quentin Moses. If it came down to a straight DE in the 4th, I like Jay Richardson or Baraka Atkins better than Alama-Francis but agree the latter has some upside. He tore his pec in the Hula Bowl so he might not be ready for the combine.

Lineman wise, I really like Tavo Tupola in Day 2. He'd step right in as a back-up LG/LT and is probably tough enough to swing RT in a pinch. But the Bengals still have an issue with center and should closely eyeball snappers with some LG ability in Day 2, players like Joe Villani, Scott Stephenson, the ACL casualty Roman Fry or even Doug Datish as early as the 4th.

Ecker in the 6th would be great. I like Chris Hopkins of Toledo who is a better receiver and should develop into a decent enough blocker.

Trannon might go higher than that given his size. He'd be a WR/TE tweener, like Marques Colston or Anthony Mix. He'd be a great development pick that late.

Reggie Nelson would probably be the best pick they could make. We'll see, but I'd guess he shows at the combine that he's got the skills to be a shut down corner to if needed. But his strength for now is shutting down the whole deep half of the field. No one plays the ball better in the air, reacts quicker to run or pass or times his hits with the veolicty that Nelson has -- not LaRon, not Griffin.

Madieu definitely can play corner. His 1st start was there isolated a lot in man and even though he barely got beat deep on a 50 yd TD bomb and juked just enough by Santana Moss on a deep sideline stop, he showed enough in place of O'Neal that he can develop to play the other corner spot. That was a few years back but it shouldn't change. Plus, it's not like he hasn't had some slot coverage since then.

Buster would be a beter fit for the Bengals needs IMO than Patrick Willis or Poz but I'd rather see them go after the DE than another LB in the 2nd if they go DB in the 1st. A DE who can rush from LDE on passing downs and play in space as a SSLB, like Anthony Spencer, LaMarr Woodley or maybe even Quentin Moses. If it came down to a straight DE in the 4th, I like Jay Richardson or Baraka Atkins better than Alama-Francis but agree the latter has some upside. He tore his pec in the Hula Bowl so he might not be ready for the combine.

Lineman wise, I really like Tavo Tupola in Day 2. He'd step right in as a back-up LG/LT and is probably tough enough to swing RT in a pinch. But the Bengals still have an issue with center and should closely eyeball snappers with some LG ability in Day 2, players like Joe Villani, Scott Stephenson, the ACL casualty Roman Fry or even Doug Datish as early as the 4th.

Ecker in the 6th would be great. I like Chris Hopkins of Toledo who is a better receiver and should develop into a decent enough blocker.

Trannon might go higher than that given his size. He'd be a WR/TE tweener, like Marques Colston or Anthony Mix. He'd be a great development pick that late.

I thought about putting Atkins down before Alama-Francis, but he struck me as more of an end tackle tweener than a pass rusher, but that also could make him attractive as a replacement for Robinson at some point.

Ecker and Trannon could always be flopped, you never know how the stock of those late rounds guys could come out.

That draft would look good to me. I have my doubts that Reggie Nelson or Buster Davis will be around for the Bengals' first day picks, but who knows. I'd love the Alama-Francis pick too.

I don't expect the Bengals to pursue a tight end unless a top end prospect falls into the second day. I bet they'll take their chances with Ghent/Day instead. Trannon would be an interesting pick in the seventh, though I'd rather take a burner like Brazell who could make bigger contributions on special teams (if we were to go receiver late, as recent drafts would suggest).